Calories-calculator.net

Options
If you use a basic heart rate monitor (one that doesn't calculate calories burned) and want an easy way to see how much you are really burning, this website has a calculator that is easy to use.

I was very disappointed to see that my elliptical sessions were not burning near as much as MFP says :(

Replies

• kbeckley11
    kbeckley11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I just went on this website, and entered my typical workout with my average heart rate. It said I burned a lot less than what the machine says I burn. So, I messed around with what I would burn at different weights. As I decreased weight, the supposed burn increased. Which is opposite of what I have always read, that as your weight increases, so do the number of calories you burn. So, I looked at the formula that they use, and there is no reason that they should come up with a smaller number of calories burned for heavier people. Also, I used the formula, and put in my numbers, and got a completely different calorie amount than the website said.

Yes, I converted my weight into kilograms, used the woman's formula.

Am I missing something here? Do they have the formula set up wrong? Parenthesis in the wrong spots maybe, or a plus sign where there should be a minus?

Edit, because I figured out that they are coming up with a different number than I am because, according to the formula they give, you add your weight*.1263, but the are actually subtracting it.

So which formula is correct?

This is what they give:

Calorie Burned = [ (AGE_IN_YEAR x 0.074) + (WEIGHT_IN_KILOGRAM x 0.1263) + (HEART_BEAT_PER_MINUTE x 0.4472) - 20.4022] x DURATION_IN_MINUTE / 4.184
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I, too, do not have a HRM. So I have found the website below to be very useful in calculating calories burned. I estimate my VO2 Max using their estimator. Then I take my pulse a few times during my workout and figure my average beats per minute once my workout is done. You just plug in your numbers and it tells you your gross calorie burn. I always convert the gross calorie burn to the net burn (again using their calculator). That way I have the most accurate number possible. Hope this helps :o)

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I, too, do not have a HRM. So I have found the website below to be very useful in calculating calories burned. I estimate my VO2 Max using their estimator. Then I take my pulse a few times during my workout and figure my average beats per minute once my workout is done. You just plug in your numbers and it tells you your gross calorie burn. I always convert the gross calorie burn to the net burn (again using their calculator). That way I have the most accurate number possible. Hope this helps :o)

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx

That is even more depressing than the other calculator I found!!! According to that site my net burn for 30 minutes of elliptical at a heart rate of 155 is only 244 calories!!

No wonder I'm not losing weight very fast.
  • ravenmiss
    ravenmiss Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    244cals for a 30min cardio session is good.

I burn around 10cals per min doing zumba keeping my HR above 165-170 pretty much all the time. I do err on the side of caution though as HRMs can still over estimate and knock some off. So for a 70min session my HRM would say around 680 but I'd log it as say 500 but MFP would give me something ridiculous like 1100 - I wish!! Lol!
  • PrincessTinyheart
    PrincessTinyheart Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    244cals for a 30min cardio session is good.

I burn around 10cals per min doing zumba keeping my HR above 165-170 pretty much all the time. I do err on the side of caution though as HRMs can still over estimate and knock some off. So for a 70min session my HRM would say around 680 but I'd log it as say 500 but MFP would give me something ridiculous like 1100 - I wish!! Lol!

I guess it's ok.. But it's not 500 like my machine said . My machine is a LIAR... an ENABLER! It's just trying to boost my ego my making me feel like superwoman, lol.

I am not sure what my HR was at my last session... Now I'm tempted to do a lot of different activities and see what my HR is. I suspect my burns for ice skating and gardening will turn out to be false too. Disappointment is the gift that keeps on giving.
  • PippiNe
    PippiNe Posts: 283 Member
    Options

That is even more depressing than the other calculator I found!!! According to that site my net burn for 30 minutes of elliptical at a heart rate of 155 is only 244 calories!! No wonder I'm not losing weight very fast.

I know it's no fun to see lower numbers in your calorie burn, but it does seem to be pretty accurate. And accuracy logging = lower numbers on your scale (no matter how slowly they come off) :o)