Losing the last 8-10 lbs

Options
I am 5'7 about 142 lbs, normal weight but would like to lose a little more, used to weigh 180. I was wanting to see if anyone was willing to share what they have been eating so I can get some ideas. I need to switch it up. I work out plenty, try to do 300 minutes a week, started running 3 miles and been walking at an incline for about a year, usually do at least 40 minutes a day. Yesterday I ran 4 miles but broke it up, did 43 minutes on the treadmill in the morning ( 23 minutes of running about 2 miles, the rest walking) and then another 35 minutes in the afternoon ( 2 miles of running again the rest walking). I get plenty of exercise just needing a little help with what to eat to get those last lbs off :) Thanks!

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You can look at my diary, but the biggest thing I would suggest is dropping some cardio, concentrating on weight training, having a food scale and upping protein and fats. <-- all generalizations until we can see your diary.

Really you should work on fat loss and muscle retention. This will make you more lean. Also, have a small to moderate deficit.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Feel free to look at my diary. Same height but I am heavier than you by 10lbs...I weight train with a bit of cardio.

I lost my last 10 and hit maitenance at the start of June so I am eating 2k calories a day typically...(Tdee-100 cals) so I have room on the weekends.

I agree with PP tho less cardio more resistence training.

No one believes I weigh what I weight...their guess is usually in the 130s. esp since my jeans are a size 5/6
  • kerickson86
    kerickson86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I agree, less cardio more resistance training, I do a lot of squats and pushups, any suggestions on some resistance training exercise? I have been trying to do more protein, any suggestions for protein snacks? I have Fage Total fat greek yogurt everyday with an apple, that has good protein, eggs in the morning...I havent been tracking my food as well recently, havent gained anything, but been maintaining I guess. I think I eat too many nut thin crackers :P I also wear a size 5/6, same as you!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I don't see why the "last" 8-10 pounds would removed from your body any differently than the first 8-10 pounds. Of course you may have to adjust down your calories from your original settings depending on how much smaller you are but other than that the same approach should work just fine.

I know this is anecdotal but I am now in my "last 10 pounds" and my weight loss has continued linearly with no change in my routine. Maybe there is some "wall" I am about to hit that will make me eat my words but I don't really see that happening.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Thanks. I agree, less cardio more resistance training, I do a lot of squats and pushups, any suggestions on some resistance training exercise? I have been trying to do more protein, any suggestions for protein snacks? I have Fage Total fat greek yogurt everyday with an apple, that has good protein, eggs in the morning...I havent been tracking my food as well recently, havent gained anything, but been maintaining I guess. I think I eat too many nut thin crackers :P I also wear a size 5/6, same as you!

Depending on if you workout at home or at a gym, but the new rules of lifting is supposed to be a good program. But there is also strong lift 5x5 or starting strength. If you like at home workout plans, I love Body Beast (but you need equipment for that one). I would think you should aim for around 120g of protein or close. If you need protein sources, meat is always a good option.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I don't see why the "last" 8-10 pounds would removed from your body any differently than the first 8-10 pounds. Of course you may have to adjust down your calories from your original settings depending on how much smaller you are but other than that the same approach should work just fine.

I know this is anecdotal but I am now in my "last 10 pounds" and my weight loss has continued linearly with no change in my routine. Maybe there is some "wall" I am about to hit that will make me eat my words but I don't really see that happening.

Differences:
    1) As you get leaner, the deficit gets slimmer, and precision becomes more important.
    2) TDEE is lower, as you mentioned, and that does impact meal planning--which was OP's question.
  • iambart88
    iambart88 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me the last 10 meant being a bit stricter towards the end. I often worked out in the morning, and still went on a walk at night. I also was more careful about what I ate/drank on the weekends, where I had previously let myself splurge. Weight lifting can help a lot with the weight and toning, but I also came to enjoy spinning because it was a huge calorie burn to mix in on my off days from weights. Pure Protein makes some awesome shakes that are around 100 calories. I had one of those after each workout to help maintain the muscle mass as I was trying to lose weight.

I ended up deciding I felt my best gaining 5 back after losing the last 10, but I was proud that I got to my goal and found a happy medium for my body. Good luck!
  • kerickson86
    kerickson86 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    This is what I have eaten today - I plan to have a few cups of powergreens with cucumber and a sprinkle of cheese later, plus about 6oz of a pork chop, green beans and broccoli for dinner... I changed myfitness pal to lose 8 lbs, and it says 1470 calories per day, I will burn about 500 calories later on my treadmill..should I eat more and eat back the exercise calories or stay with this? Just looking for opinions :)

Eggs - Fried (whole egg), 3 large

Daves Killer Bread - 21 Whole Grain 100% Whole Wheat, 1 slice- with a spread of butter

Cream - Half and Half, 2 tbsp

Peets Coffee - 2 cup

Blue Diamond - Nut-thins - Pecan Rice Crackers, 8 crackers (30g)

Fage Total - Greek Strained Yogurt, 200 g (7 oz) With two strawberries cut in small pieces

Trader Joe's - Organic Gala Apples,

Generic Usda - Banana (7" to 7-7/8" Inch), 1 Medium
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Differences:
    1) As you get leaner, the deficit gets slimmer, and precision becomes more important.
    2) TDEE is lower, as you mentioned, and that does impact meal planning--which was OP's question.

Honestly meal timing is personal choice so it is hard to answer for someone else what their best meal timing would be. I get that as you get leaner your TDEE drops so the distance between your BMR and TDEE narrows but you can compensate for that by eating less or if you are at the limit where eating less would result in malnourishment you can exercise more. Baring that you can just accept that your weight loss will slow but continue.

I didn't mean adjustments don't have to be made I meant the approach to weight loss remains constant. Figure your TDEE, eat less than that in a manner that remains healthy. I don't think meal timing affects that other than as personal choice for whatever you as an individual find easiest to sustain.