checking form?

Options
okay, so someone mentioned this to me the other day so I thought I'd throw it out there and see what you all think.

My friend (40 something female) regularly does freestyle classes at our gym (I do too, but I'd never really thought anything of this). These classes are taken by a variety of instructors, and there are generally about 3-6 people in the class, more women than men. All the instructors do things differently, but there is generally kettlebell work, sandbags, planks etc. The instructors demonstrate, and will comment on form etc as class goes on. There is one fairly new instructor who my friend has noticed is very 'hands on' - what ever the exercise he will go round each person and there will be a hand on them somewhere 'checking form', but the other instructors very rarely correct or check in this way, they will demonstrate.

Is my friend being a little oversensitive (someone did make comment in the gym apparently about middle aged women rushing to this guys class - he is VERY buff it must be said!) or is this unusual?

Replies

• accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, some people are touchy feely, others wont touch at all. He sounds like a hands on instructor. As long as the correcting and touching is not inappropriate I wouldn't think there's a problem.
  • accelerashawn
    accelerashawn Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Or if you or your friend is uncomfortable with the touching, let the instructor know before the class that you don't want to be touched...just say something funny like "i'm weird with touching so please don't" lol A good instructor wouldn't have an issue with that.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Your friend should stop complaining and be grateful that she has such a good instructor that actually cares about good form (unless the instructor is touching inappropriately, which I highly doubt). Being an instructor myself, my first priority is to make sure everyone has a SAFE class, and yes, that means correcting form. Bad form is how people get hurt.
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There is a common coaching technique that involves touching the muscle where you're supposed to concentrate your effort, or where your form is bad. It's a sensory cue that works well for many people.

That said, a coach should explain, in advance, what he's doing and why. And if you don't like it, you should be able to opt out of that kind of cue.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    Touching is sometimes required, but most form corrections can be done with verbal or visual cues. Some trainers like to touch everyone for every exercise. My guess is they do it to make their clients feel good. Some people perceive it as gratuitous or creepy. Maybe your friend should tease him about it and call him "octopus". :wink:
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Your friend should stop complaining and be grateful that she has such a good instructor that actually cares about good form (unless the instructor is touching inappropriately, which I highly doubt). Being an instructor myself, my first priority is to make sure everyone has a SAFE class, and yes, that means correcting form. Bad form is how people get hurt.

This.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    People often think they are in a position, or a posture they are not. Manually adjusting someone so they can feel what the right position feels like is a very fast and effective way to teach someone.

However, the guy may still be copping a feel.

It could go either way...
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Touching is sometimes required, but most form corrections can be done with verbal or visual cues. Some trainers like to touch everyone for every exercise. My guess is they do it to make their clients feel good. Some people perceive it as gratuitous or creepy. Maybe your friend should tease him about it and call him "octopus". :wink:

My personal trainer was pretty "touchy" he learned very quickly that I was not. All I said was "That's weird, don't do that" we both laughed and he adjusted how he trained me and all was great, He was awesome. I noticed a lot of his other clients really liked the touchy stuff to the point they would even hug a lot, everyone is different.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys. Like you say we all work differently.
  • juiletflt
    juiletflt Posts: 159
    Options
    I have been a dance instructor for almost 20 years and have learned that touching to correct form is a very effective way to make corrections. They are both feeling the correction and hearing it. I find that the student remembers the correction better. If I touch to make the correction I usually only have to do it once and then when I see them slipping again, it is easier for them to correct faster on my verbal cues. Sometimes the correction is actually moving them where they should be and sometimes it's just me touching my fingertips to the the muscle and moving the direction I want them to change. Somehow that makes it stick better.

I think he sounds like a great instructor.