Getting frustrated with finding clothes that fit right

Options
I'm just feeling frustrated at the moment about getting clothes to fit right. I know manufacturers can't tailor everything to fit everyone perfectly, but in the past I used to feel I had more frequent successes with finding perfect fitting things.

I don't have the average female figure . I'm 5'6 with broadish shoulders, 34D chest, slim hips and slim legs. I carry extra weight on my tummy, bum and arms. I don't hate my figure but it just feels like clothes are made for women with tiny narrow top halves, small breasts, wide hips and short legs. Skirts are usually cut too wide in the hip for me and tops often feel too tight around my rib cage like I can't breathe properly. I even have it with shoes, I'm a UK size 5.5 and I've just ordered some New Balance shoes for the gym in a size 6 which is usually my trainer size but they seem too small! It's like everything is designed to fit the body of someone different to me. It's not like I have an extreme body type either, so it just feels annoying and perplexing how hard it is to find things that fit properly not to mention a big drain on time.

It also makes me feel like I must be mannish. It's getting a bit depressing. It does help if I lose weight but I tend to have to be on the skinny side for anything to fit right, for example when I was 119 llbs things fitted more easily but I was very thin then and not eating right. At the moment I'm 127llbs.

Anyway if anyone can relate or has any good advice then that would be good, apologies if I sound like a moaner, I just feel like I spend all my time trying on clothes that don't fit me at the moment and it's getting tedious. Also if anyone knows any UK shops that are good for women with more athletic figures (ie. broad shoulders, slim hips, the opposite of pear shaped) figures that would be great, thanks.

Replies

• jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Clothes shopping is unbelievably tedious.

I used to think there was something weird or wrong about my body shape - I left clothing stores more than once in tears because everything looked terrible. Then I started watching What Not to Wear and learned that this is totally normal :)

My issue was that I was picking up, say, 5 items in what should have been the "right size", hating them all, and then thinking there was something wrong with me.

Stacey and Clinton taught me that really, it's better to take 2 sizes of everything that appeals and try on, like, 20 items in a session. Don't focus on the size; focus on the fit, and realize that most clothes do not look good on most people.

Again, your experience is totally normal. Clothes shopping just sucks.
  • ElviraMarieCerri
    ElviraMarieCerri Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try eShakti.com The prices are not too outrageous, and you can customize the sizes to fit you. I have no need for newclothes right now, as I am retired and living very simply, but I would be all over them if I did. I am built generally like you (except you are MUCH smaller), and it is a pain to find something that fits my large top and relatively smaller bottom. Good luck.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.
    I wish I could offer some tips but I have a time trying to find clothes. I actually am trying Stitch Fix because I'm so fed up with it.

I'm 5'10 with small breasts and athletic build and I can't find a thing either. Also I feel like nothing matches my style locally.
    I don't want to dress like a teenager and I'm not ready for the retirement home or duplicate bridge club (I'm only 31).

My suggestion is if/when you DO find a shirt or pants that's flattering, buy like 3-6 of them...:laugh:
  • 1HappyRedhead
    1HappyRedhead Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It took me several hours just to find a bra that fit right....
    I tried on 28 bras before I found one I liked! I can relate.... :flowerforyou:
  • RunningOnWontons
    RunningOnWontons Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain! And even when I luck out and find some clothes that are flattering, my hatred of shopping in general makes it all feel like a chore. The fact that clothes for women are so rarely standardized as to sizing/fit (at least over here in the US) makes the problem even worse. I have a closet filled with clothes of all different sizes as a result, and I can never buy something "sight unseen" over the internet and be sure that it will fit when it arrives.

One of my personal pet peeves is that sports bras NEVER fit me right. I guess my problem is that I have a pretty wide ribcage, but with smaller boobs, so most bras that fit around the band just have way too much leftover space in the cups to hold everything in place. Like you, I've felt this to be a "mannish" kind of shape and it bothers me! Grrr. I'm hoping the combination of body changes occurring with my pregnancy and current state of losing weight will help this in the long run...would love to grab a simple compression bra in a "medium" or whatever off the rack and know that it'll be both comfortable and supportive when I wear it on a run.
  • christinalong1991
    christinalong1991 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have no advice for you, but a supportive shoulder! I leave the stores crying almost every time i go shopping! I try on a bunch of different stuff, nothing fits, but i do feel like I have a weird body type! Extremely muscular thighs but no butt, no hips, 36DDD bra, and only 5'3 and only about 20 lbs overweight. Everything is too long for me, or can't get it over my thighs, because my top part is so big shirts never ever fit because all the cloth gets bunched up at the top. So I really truly feel your pain, but i do advocate for the advice that when you find something that fits, buy several, in every color, so its a very long while before having to find anything else lol
  • Ariadne83
    Ariadne83 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone, your posts are much appreciated! It sounds like everyone, no matter what body type feels like this at some point when clothes shopping. I guess in the past people made their own clothes or had tailors, it's a new phenomenon where retailers sell stuff that is meant to be for everyone. The reality is there is such a big range of different shapes and sizes = everyone has to spend ages finding stuff that fits and suits them.

Good point Christina about buying several of one item once you find something flattering, I do tend to do this but plan to do it more often to avoid having to spend so much time trying things on and feeling down. I also learnt to sew recently so I have a few patterns I am going to try out. This is a long process but I think it will be worth it if I get good at sewing and can run up a tailor made skirt in an evening! How cool would that be :) It can be one of my new goals!

Also I have the same thing as you all with the bra fitting, I have tried on so many bras and most are dreadfully uncomfortable but I found a great one at Uniqlo of all places so I have it in 4 colours now lol. On the hunt for sports bras now and fitness trousers that aren't those skin tight ones that make me feel self conscious...

Thanks again, Ariadne.