I'm having trouble with snacks.

Options
My boyfriend and I are dieting together so we make sure we have low calorie/low fat food and snacks. My problem is that I like to eat a lot, and I can usually wrack up 500+ calories in snacks alone. I have gone over my calorie goal for the day, but I've always burned it off so my net calories are under the daily goal. But, I'd still like to eat less snacks. Are there any low calorie snack foods that you guys can think of that fill you up? Pretzels usually do it for me, but I find myself craving more if I eat one serving. Lol.

Replies

• txmomma0889
    txmomma0889 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    low calorie popcorn snack bags you get a lot for low calories
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    popcorn, stove top, not microwave. take around 1-2 tablespoons of oil, some evaporates, and 1/4 cup of popcorn. any spices help. little bit of salt. with the little bit of oil it makes the popcorn taste better. pretzel sticks are awesome. 35 of the for a serving. any fruit is good. smoothies work great. just watch the juice. the sugar could be a lot. good luck
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend and I are dieting together so we make sure we have low calorie/low fat food and snacks. My problem is that I like to eat a lot, and I can usually wrack up 500+ calories in snacks alone. I have gone over my calorie goal for the day, but I've always burned it off so my net calories are under the daily goal. But, I'd still like to eat less snacks. Are there any low calorie snack foods that you guys can think of that fill you up? Pretzels usually do it for me, but I find myself craving more if I eat one serving. Lol.
    I dont think you should eat snacks to fill ya up try getting that with your meals and having snacks to get in those extra veggies/fruit you need per day...when snacks become kind of like a dessert thats when the problems arise.also limit yourself to pre packaged or pre portioned snacks in baggies and only 2 per day.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I dont think you should eat snacks to fill ya up try getting that with your meals and having snacks to get in those extra veggies/fruit you need per day...when snacks become kind of like a dessert thats when the problems arise.also limit yourself to pre packaged or pre portioned snacks in baggies and only 2 per day.
  • catwoman2011
    Options
    I keep cans of cashews or almonds everywhere , the car, work, kitchen ! String cheese is always a good option ... it's low fat and low carb too !!
  • bullriderswife08
    bullriderswife08 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I really like Kellogs Fiber plus Antioxidant bars. Not only are they filling, but you get your chocolate fix too! Also, apples and peanut butter, wheat toast w/ peanut butter & bananas, I like to eat alot of vegetables too. And drink lots of water, it will help to keep you full! Good luck!
  • pjames22
    Options
    I have a break at work at 10:15 so I have a snack which is an apple. After lunch, we have another break at 2:45 so I have another snack which is an apple. Later after dinner I usually have a bag of microwave popcorn. I think the apples really help me with the sweet cravings. I try to stay on the schedule even on the weekends. Good luck.
  • FitRodr
    FitRodr Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm struggling with snacks too! Keep wandering in the kitchen, opening cupboards and the frig. I'm not so much hungry and bored as curious. Today I tried to look at the calories before I ate the snack. Seemed to help a little. Tomorrow I am going to add drinking a glass of water or a liquid before I eat a snack. I think it's going to be difficult to get my stomach not used to eating as much and if I can just wait it out... I will be successful. So will you!
    Just putting here means you are aware. Good for you!
  • corey_e
    corey_e Posts: 162
    Options
    I eat kashi granola bars and nu go bars. They are filling and delicious. Also I make a little fruit bowl of bananas, apples, and grapes because those are my favorite fruits and that's pretty filling.
  • bluemartini6
    Options
    My problem too! I love snacking, even and often when I'm not hungry...keeping track of calories has made me aware of this...Everytime I'm tempted to snack, I stop and think am I really hungry/should I go make something substantial to eat OR am I just bored and want something to keep me busy. If it's boredom, I'm been trying to drink soda water (i like the flavored La Croix brand) or water with a bit of lemon. Sometimes the urge to snack will pass. More often than not, it's not eating enough filling foods with meals.

Also, you can try low cal cottage cheese - it's bland, but filling (usually 80 cal for 1/2 cup)