Water?

Options
wendy32752
wendy32752 Posts: 5 Member
I have a hard time drinking 8 glasses of water a day - but I drink at least that of iced green tea....
Does that count for water?
Thanks!

Replies

• CupcakesMom2
    CupcakesMom2 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Well you are going to get different answers to this question. My opinion is that if the tea is decaf it counts as water.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time drinking 8 glasses of water a day - but I drink at least that of iced green tea....
    Thanks!

Everything counts as water that has water in it. The only thing that doesn't count is alcohol as it has a diuretic effect. Caffeine is only a mild diuretic, so unless you go overboard on the coffee (7+ cups a day) you can even count that towards your water.

The key is to get your fluids. I wish MFP would change that water thing - this question comes up all the time.
  • wannakimmy
    wannakimmy Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    For me, water is water, all else is exactly what it says it is... (soda, coffee, tea...)
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276
    Options
    For me, water is water, all else is exactly what it says it is... (soda, coffee, tea...)

Exactly
  • ngressman
    ngressman Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think if it's zero calorie and non caffeinated then it counts as water. My son has fainted five times after drinking nothing but Mountain Dew or some other pop. The nurse said that pops with caffeine actually dehydrate the body rather than hydrate, so that is why I have the non caffeine rule.
  • phil6707
    phil6707 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    That is incorrect. Because something is liquid doesnt mean it is water. Beverage are liquid and contain water but most of the time the molecules containes are different things. Alcohol as the name type is an alcohol (chemical type) the molecule of water has been broken.

Many people are dehydrated because they believe because it is a liquid it contains or it is water. plain wrong
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    That is incorrect. Because something is liquid doesnt mean it is water. Beverage are liquid and contain water but most of the time the molecules containes are different things. Alcohol as the name type is an alcohol (chemical type) the molecule of water has been broken.

Many people are dehydrated because they believe because it is a liquid it contains or it is water. plain wrong

No, thats not true, water in tea and coffee and juice and fruits etc all are still containing water, regardless of what other molecules are solvated in them. There is only evidence of slight health effect for less than about 800 mL of water intake per day causing health issues, unless you have another medical condition. I'd generally say to drink more than that, and I do, but the 6-8 cups of water/day recommendation is really unknown as to where it came from, and there is no evidence for it being the "amount you need".

Making sure your urine is pale yellow is really the best method if you want to monitor your water intake: if it is too clear or too yellow, your kidneys may be having to work harder. If its some other color, the ER may be the best place for you.
  • wendy32752
    wendy32752 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, you were right, CupcakesMom2!!!
    Thanks for your answers, everyone!!
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    Well you are going to get different answers to this question. My opinion is that if the tea is decaf it counts as water.

Agree with this. Everyone feels differently but if it it has 0 calories and is decaf I count it :) I drink lots of water and then also lots of decaf unsweet tea. I count them both :)
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options

What?!?!?!

Don't give people fake scientific sounding advice. The water molecule is broken??? Then it's not water. The fact is every single liquid you drink has water in it. A bottle of 100 proof whiskey has water in it. It started life as 200 proof whiskey and then was diluted with water (pure, good old fashioned unbroken water) to reach a desired flavor profile and proof.

Coca cola has water in it. It's high fructose corn syrup, flavorings, coloriings, and then...you guessed it: mostly water. The point of the "water reccomendations" is hydration people. Green tea is water enough for the intent of the reccomendation. Whiskey is not - but it sure as hell has water in it. Common sense dictates you shouldn't drink 120 oz of Coca Cola in a day and call it meeting your water intake - but if you have 2 cups of coffee in the morning, a boatload of flavored water or whatever in the afternoon and a (gasp) a soda at night - go ahead and call it water.
  • iam31woman
    Options
    Green tea is really good for you, the question would be how are you making it? Are you brewing it at home and than chilling it? Or buying it in a can/bottle? If you are brewing it at home (which is SUPER easy! Just buy loose green tea and you can brew it right in your drop coffee pot just like coffee) than I would say yes it counts, if you are buying manufactured, than I don't think so. As for the water...I had a really hard time with that at first too but I found (I know it sounds dumb) I really like using a straw. For some reason water does not seen to lay as heavy in my stomach that way. I have one of those straw in the top water bottles and I just re-fill it all day long.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

Everything counts as water that has water in it. The only thing that doesn't count is alcohol as it has a diuretic effect. Caffeine is only a mild diuretic, so unless you go overboard on the coffee (7+ cups a day) you can even count that towards your water.

The key is to get your fluids. I wish MFP would change that water thing - this question comes up all the time.

^This. Your body can't tell the difference between drinking a glass of tea, or drinking a tall glass of water and then eating tea leaves. Your body extracts the water it needs from all liquids/foods that contain it. Just be sure to log the calories as well if your beverage of choice contains calories.
  • mummycharlie23
    Options
    This is just my own opinion and by no means medical. Liquid is essential in the diet of course water is best because the body is made of 60% of so of water, it also contains no calories (always a bonus) and keeps you hydrated. green tea is supposedly very good for you and usually contains no calories itself, as long as you are not adding sugar etc.

I am training to be a nurse and when you have a patient on a fluid intake limitation you have to count anything containing liquid which includes, jelly, soups, tea, coffee, milk in your cereal etc so all liquid is good but just watch what calories you are drinking as well as eating.

I hope this helps, sorry if i have waffled
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I know all drinks have water in them, but I only log actual plain water that I consume, everything else doesn't get logged (as water).

Drink more water, you'll feel loads better!
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options

Exactly

ditto!

a few years ago I passed out because I was dehydrated. how could this be? I drank a LOT of a zero calorie drink, but it was NOT water. was taken to the hospital and they had to give me IVs to hydrate me.