Math problems

Options
CLA1134
CLA1134 Posts: 50 Member
My food scale finally came today! As I expected I was way overestimating some of the things. Butter is a good example. According to packaging and MFP tool, 14 grams is a serving and what I've been adding to the diary, not having a clue.

Tonight I was liberal and it ended up being .14 oz, or 3.9 grams I think. I am Terrible at math so I have no idea how to enter this total, but that's like 3.5 times the amounts I've been putting by guessing. That's a lot of butter.

I'm excited to see how other things factor out, but I wish there was an easy way to convert the amounts.

Replies

• tycho_mx
    tycho_mx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Yikes... my "clan" lives and die by conversion.

14 g of butter is a serving because that probably is around a tablespoon :) So that's the sense this is supposed to make. 3.9 g is about a third, or a teaspoon of butter.

And yes, until we actually measure things, most of us underestimate our servings considerably.
  • dont_tap_my_aces
    dont_tap_my_aces Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    you will have more luck finding the MFP entry for the food that matches your label on the food. So that way if a serving is 14g on the label, the MFP entry will also be in grams.

for the math... its basically 28 grams to an ounce (not exact, but good enough for this). And i find weighing things out in grams is simpler than ounces so for fruit/veggies i try to find the MFP entry that has the serving listed in grams as well just to keep everything the same
  • judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I started to weigh everything that is not a liquid because I measured out my Quaker Oats to a level 1/2 cup then weighed it and was surprised to find out that the 40g are about 2 tablespoons less that a 1/2 cup. I wondered how many other things are off like that and can effect our weight loss.
  • ekat120
    ekat120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Yep, 14 g is half an ounce. It sounds like you were actually overestimating. I, too, measure everything in grams (but I log on a different website that also has gram values for all of the entries).
  • judy11351
    judy11351 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I thought this my be helpful for you. My scale has both ounces or grams so when I weigh my food I write down both on a piece of paper then when I go into the food base I can find it in ounces or grams.
  • Wiow
    Wiow Posts: 4
    Options
    It must help you much, at least I hope so.
  • CLA1134
    CLA1134 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks! It's taking a lot to get use to. I screwed up with the pasta tonight. Apparently you're supposed to measure it dry first and I didn't do that, just made it for my family and took the weight after it was cooked. Oh well, next time. I used one of my toddler's bowls, so I couldn't have been too far over.

The scale I have does doe grams and oz, so I will be doing both until I get a better idea.

The butter thing just threw me. I guess it's more for cooking reasons, not your every day butter on a piece of bread.

I can see why people give up. It's a lot of work.