Ex Binge Eaters

Options
I need help. I struggle with binge eating and no matter my valiant efforts to stop, I always end up giving up and eating like a whole loaf of bread. It's always so depressing but the taste of a donut wins over all else. Why do I keep things like that around you ask? I am usually pretty good about what to buy but I breakdown and also because somewhere deep in my little optimistic mind I think can say no to it, but in all reality I have no self control. And even when I don't have anything horrible in my house, I still some how manage to find something and completely takes me off track. I obviously struggle with an addiction and would like some words of encouragement or even your own success story or just some ideas on how to slowly fix myself. I know many people struggle with binge eating and so many have beat it so maybe someone can be able to give me a little hope. I'm just tired of this vicious cycle i find myself in. If you have any thing, I'm more than happy to hear it. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• enforce1
    enforce1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm a low-carber, so my advice might be different than others.

I am able to stop binge eating by eating a decent quality meal. Steak, asparagus, and mushrooms come in at ~1000 calories and it makes me feel full enough to avoid the binge.

Dieting is tough. Self control is tougher. You must master your domain :)
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I can only take one day at a time, sometimes it's one hour at a time. I agree with enforce1 - the first step is to fuel your body well so you're less susceptible to a binge. Sometimes though it's more psychological than physiological so need to work out how to avoid triggers, eg keep yourself occupied, try to avoid trigger foods/places/smells etc, journal what you're feeling rather than eating to avoid the feelings. The thing that works well for me is to do some form of exercise and that sense of achievement gives a small amount of hope that I can do what I set out to do and am not always a slave to emotions and food. It's hard.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I use to call up my local Chinese and Japanese restaurant a place an order starting with "WE would like" knowing full well all the food was for ME and ME only. I would eat till I was almost sick. I totally get it.

For me I made it a challenge... "I can't get any takeout for 30 days" (doing that right now.. it is really hard). Then it was... "I am going to give up diet coke"... ( would go to mc donalds for a big diet coke and then leave with an extra large value meal.

How about make some challenges for yourself with moderate rewards for yourself if you match the challenge. It worked for me.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    make sure you're getting enough fuel for your fire; sometimes hunger happens for a reason. high protein and fat are filling and healthy. I've found since I'm eating enough, and getting the nutrients I need, I don't "feel the need" to grab that donut. sometimes I'll still have one, though. because I love them and I have a better relationship with them, now. I'm not sneaking one. I'm not devouring five when no one's looking. I just enjoy one as a treat. :smile:

best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • sdstephenson1
    sdstephenson1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I could have written your post myself! I too sabotage myself regularly. I find if I eat one donut, I feel I might better have 4 ( can always restart again tomorrow, right?) I read some good tips in response to your question. Feel free to add me if you want someone to talk to. I
  • GoldizGreen
    GoldizGreen Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I relate. All I seem to do is justify the food I eat. I need just one more delicious night of takeout, I forgot to bring lunch so I have to get two crazy heavy items to replace it. I get home late from work or school and I already ate something at 5:00, but I need to make a box of rice because I didn't really eat dinner...

It is so hard not to binge. I just joined today, I hope I can stop this bad habit. I appreciate you posting this!
  • Makoce
    Makoce Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1wx6KxI1RBLdW5nZlpsMmtYdTA/edit

This helped me more than anyone knows!
    I started binging a few months ago again,a bout 3,000 - 10,000 calories a day.

Yesterday I was driving around for an hour straight on my way home -- hitting up all the gas station, fast food, and grocery stores in my capital district, consuming 7,000 calories -- then going home, drinking and eating even more to the point of being physically in excruciating pain was pretty disgustingly non-highlighted moment of my life. I think I ate from 10AM - 12AM without stopping. Woke up the next day disgusted by food, yet ate breakfast. Go figure

Read that book today, had just gotten it in the mail .. all I can say is my perception is much different!

I think Ill be able to stop now!

I just looked it up and found it online for free, so Im hoping that could help you guys?
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I am an ex binge eater. Carbs were my downfall also. I had to take drastic measures. I completely cut out all "bad" carbs like breads pasta rice etc for over a year. Once I had my eating in control and actually understood what portions were and what it felt like when I was truly satisfied vs over filled I then started adding those carbs back in with moderation. I know it's not for everyone but it is what I had to do to gain control of my binges. I did not buy sweets or things like that and did not keep them in my house. Now that I can have them in moderation it is a different story :)
  • ChronicOptimist
    ChronicOptimist Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I definitely feel your pain on this issue. I suffer with BED every day and am proud to be 43 days binge free! That may sound like nothing to some, but 43 days ago, going that long without a binge seemed impossible.

First, if you're not already in counseling, I'd really recommend it. It's been really helpful to me to have a sounding board to bounce my own ideas around about why I binge and what my triggers are. Now, when I feel that urge to binge, I try to lay down and relax and be peaceful for an hour or so. I think about what's causing the urge and try to alleviate it - I find that some of my big triggers are emotional upheaval (tough to avoid!) and frustrating changes in my schedule. Calming myself down can often tame the lion of the urge to more of an angry Maine Coon. Then, I try to work in a little of what I was craving into my daily calories in a healthful way. Just a tiny taste tends to nip the urge in the bud.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to add me as a friend. I truly, truly, truly appreciate what a beast BED can be to overcome, and like I said, I still fight it all the time!!
  • KaylaMack0215
    KaylaMack0215 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B1wx6KxI1RBLdW5nZlpsMmtYdTA/edit

This helped me more than anyone knows!
    I started binging a few months ago again,a bout 3,000 - 10,000 calories a day.

Yesterday I was driving around for an hour straight on my way home -- hitting up all the gas station, fast food, and grocery stores in my capital district, consuming 7,000 calories -- then going home, drinking and eating even more to the point of being physically in excruciating pain was pretty disgustingly non-highlighted moment of my life. I think I ate from 10AM - 12AM without stopping. Woke up the next day disgusted by food, yet ate breakfast. Go figure

Read that book today, had just gotten it in the mail .. all I can say is my perception is much different!

I think Ill be able to stop now!

I just looked it up and found it online for free, so Im hoping that could help you guys?

Ah thanks! I've definitely have a problem with binge eating. Usually I'm super good but I think I deprive myself too much from what I am use to. Then again I only ate horrible things... Nothing nutritionally good for me.
  • blatantlyo
    blatantlyo Posts: 30
    Options
    That was, and still is the hardest part of my weight-loss journey. I'm still finding it hard to eat ice-cream in it's serving size. I'm used to just eating it out of the container with a big spoon. Then, I would move on to something else, until I felt like a disgusting blob. I would always tell myself "Okay, I'll just finish up these douhgnuts and cookies, and I'll be done. That way there will be no junk food in the house." But I would always get more and more.

My process would always be "I deserve it, I worked out tonight!" (even though it just completely erased the workout, and added even more calories) and I just wanted to taste food. It was like the only way I could be happy. But then after, I wouldn't taste anything. So, before I binged I would think "It's NOT worth it, you don't taste anything now, and you won't taste anything after. The only diffrerence will be the fact that you just threw out a whole week of working hard, and you will hate yourself, which will make you do it again" and it helped.

Sometimes, I get the urge to binge, not just on junk food, on anything. I just want to eat. So I ALWAYS keep baby carrots in the house, and celery, lots of small veggies. For instance, an entire bag of baby carrots fills me up just like junk food, but it only has 175 calories in the whole bag, which is amazing! Keeping food that has low calories but great quantity will help you when you want to binge.

Good luck, and I hope you're able to overcome it. Keep yourself motivated and think about the bigger picture. It feels good to not just be thinner, but be healthier. Surround yourself with lovely people, and know that you're worth so much more than a tub of ice-cream and a dozen doughtnuts.
  • shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with this for many years, and still do. I had an eating disorder a few years back and stubbornly refused to get professional help, it took me years to get out of it, and I still don't think I am fully there. But I have found a way to at least make my binging less bad. For example today I really wanted to go through the drive-through and get a greasy burger (going through some family drama at the moment) but instead I went home and made myself a delicious(and mildly bad) burger which came to less then 400 calories, so I have my satisfaction and dont have to feel guilty cause I know how many calories are in it and such.

So basicly what I am trying to say is that instead of trying to stop binging, how about you try to life with it first, you want to binge that is oke, but make sure you have some ingredients at home to make a healthier binge possible so you have to worry less about the aftermath.

Hope that made sense. Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to talk.
  • Revekka77
    Revekka77 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with binge eating as well. In fact, I find that portion control is my biggest downfall. But instead of eating giant burritos, multiple burgers or thousands of calories worth of chocolate chip cookies, I am making myself 400 calorie salads. That way I have large portions, but don't feel sluggish and guilty and gross afterward. Are you exercising? I just started up again and today I finally made it to 10k steps. The more I exercise and release endorphins, the less I feel like I have to binge to feel better. I use food to celebrate my wins and comfort my losses, when I am happy, when I am sad, as a punishment and as a reward. I am trying to stop using food emotionally. I am actually down 12 pounds (I started a little before I got on MFP) and every pound I lose give me more motivation to keep going. I think it is a matter of getting into a groove.
  • daniel9797
    daniel9797 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with binge eating for, well pretty much my whole life. I still have to fight it and have urges. It is hard for me because I am a student, so I live home with Mom, and I have a little sister and older brother who I live with as well. So their is always "junk" food in the house (donuts on the kitchen table). I look at it like this, yea those donuts are good and tempting, but I have just exercised and I feel great. I usually have a bottle of water, and some carrots when I feel like I need to binge. I have serving size issues as well as some folks have stated before me. Like my plate is this big, so I am going to fill it. I learned to eat off a smaller plate, and with that I have learned the feeling between satisfied, and stuffed. When I used to eat dinner, no way was I going on a 3-5 mile walk after that. But now, I have no problem doing it. Also, one of my favorite quotes: "You are not a dog, So don't reward yourself with food." You can add me as a friend if you need someone to talk to. Good luck on your weight loss, and getting ahold of your binge eating.
  • zgolub
    zgolub Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This thread has been very encouraging to read. Sounds like a lot of people with this issue.
    I have tendencies to do a little of everything: binge on a high calorie, fatty food when bored or stressed or tired; eat ANYTHING until I feel disgustingly full; eat three helpings of all "expensive" food when at a buffet or a birthday party (as though I am getting a good bang for my buck).
    Then, of course, I am frustrated and annoyed at myself.
    I am still working out how to beat this urge to eat, eat, eat but I know that being on MFP and logging is the first step.

One day at a time, I think is a good way to approach it. There will be setbacks and slip ups but I think if 80% of the time, you're on the right track and eating healthy things you'll succeed in your goals.

Good luck
  • dogluvr_2014
    dogluvr_2014 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Wow, reading some of these posts just breaks my heart. I thought I was the only one who had these insane struggles. The amazing thing is that since I started here on MFP all of that has stopped. I can't say I really understand why, I just thank God for it. What I have learned is that for me the food was just a way to try and stuff all the hurts that were in my head and my heart. Most of it was unresolved family stuff and the food was never enough so I always wanted more. One donut wasn't good but a dozen was great. I would actually get mad when my stomach would get full and couldn't handle it all. I certainly don't have all the answers on any of this but I commend all of you for not giving up. I pray that each of you receives peace with your food and never gives up the fight. Stay strong & God Bless!!!
  • 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    bump, need to read this when i feel like going overboard
  • DJ7203
    DJ7203 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    What a great post, I'm so glad I came across it. I feel like I'm not alone. I went from having an eating disorder to where I barely ate anything & in 6 months I went from 156 pounds, down to 106. When I recovered from that I started binge eating. I would stop & buy groceries on my way home from work & then I would get home & just tear into everything & devour it before I even unpacked them. I got into the habit of eating healthy all day & then binging when I got home from work. It was/is as normal to me as coming home & changing into house clothes. It was part of how I wound down from my day. I've been back on my weight than I would like & I hate how I look. So now it's a struggle to not fall back into starving myself to get back to where I want to be. I get a little better week by week, day by day. But it's still a huge struggle for me. You aren't alone & I'm glad to know that I'm not either.
  • LaurieKennedy77
    Options
    The most important thing with binge eating is getting to the root of the problem and working out why you are doing it in the first place. In my experience, it is rarely a case of binge eating for the sake of it - there are usually psychological reasons behind it causing you to do it. Unless you confront those reasons and try and tackle them, the problem will just keep happening. I know, because this has been an issue for my whole adult life and the reasons I binge eat are emotional. I eat to console myself, and I eat to 'reward' myself (though usually just five minutes after it no longer feels like a reward). I suffer from severe clinical depression and the binge eating rears its ugly head when I am on a downward spiral. However, in recent months I have been more successful at recognising my mood changes and the triggers that cause them, and that in turn is helping me with my eating habits. I know this is something that will be a struggle/temptation all my life, just like the depression, but you can control it and in turn take control of your life - you just have to have faith in yourself! One of the most important things to remember: if you slip up and have a binge eating session, DO NOT castigate yourself. Do not hate yourself for what is a simple mistake. No one is perfect and there will always be temptations. If you do happen to have a slip up, just chalk it up to experience and move on.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    bump