Chiropractors, crazy charlatans or celestial being?

Options
2»

Replies

• civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Some of their claims are just quackery - like curing cardiopathies, diabetes, colic in children [ffs, please don't get your infant "adjusted" for teething issues]. The biggest problem I see is that some use it as a cure all- and when the only tool you have is a hammer, every situation starts looking like a nail.
    This is why Chrio is quackery. Practitioners think that Chiro cures practically everything. Chiro is predicated on pre-medical science notions of biology.

I had a friend of friend recommend chiro for my then infant daughters Billy Rueben. Really? Chiro cures jaundice? This is from a person who takes her cats to pet psychics. Crank-magnetism much? Sure sign of rank quackery.
  • s_pekz
    s_pekz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    NO DONT DO IT. Chiropractors can do serious damage to you!!!! One wrong move and you could end up paralyzed. NOT WORTH IT. You back does not need to be "cracked". Any real medical issue can be resolved in other ways. Plus some chiros just take an xray that shows nothinging. Even their language isn't scientific! There is absolutely nothing scientific about a "subluxation". Its a made up word.

Seriously. Don't hurt yourself. Physical therapy, Occupational therapy, massage therapy are all decent options. Chiropractors should never be an option. IMHO.
  • frangrann
    frangrann Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Coming from a family of MDs, I'm biased against most chiropractors and I fully acknowledge it. Honestly I'd recommend you go to a physical therapist or a sports medicine doctor instead.

I am a physical therapist and I think you should see one too. Chiropractors do a good job realigning the spine but don't teach you any exercise to maintain the correction. That's why people have to keep going back sometimes for yrs. Some chiropractors have a PT in the practice with them which I would think was a good idea.

Good luck getting that massage!
  • LizaDK914
    LizaDK914 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If it's a good chiropractor, it's worth the cash! They help soo much!
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Also, I have recently gotten some serious back pain in my lower back - still have been exercising through it - even had back day yesterday... but my back was killing me this morning and the Chiropractor seemed like an easy fix.

I highly suspect that your lower back pain is from using the Smith Machine for squats. The fixed bar tends to make you rest against it and the Smith Machine forces you into unnatural movements patterns. You’re pushing your spinal erectors & neck muscles more against the bar which means more back stress, especially with heavier weights. If your feet are too far forward it puts your lower back in a weak position and will tend to make your lower back round.

the pain started pretty much the moment I got off the smith from doing squats Ms. Holmes!

Seriously... uncanny insight.. :flowerforyou:

Ok... fine.. you pointed out on the other thread I also risk knee pain and I also recently have been getting knee pain on my right leg after using the smith.. I guess it's time to figure out how to do a squat properly.
  • demorelli
    demorelli Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I dealt with back pain for about a year and finally decided to visit a chiropractor about it. He did a full spinal exam and xrays and discovered that I had an over-arched spine. I had a series of chiropractic adjustments and physical therapy. My chiropractor's office employs a physical therapist so it was easy to do both in one appointment. My back pain was quickly reduced and within about a month it was gone. I continued the physical therapy for another 2 months at the recommendation of my chiropractor and by the time I'd finished my appointments my spine felt stronger and more stable than it has in my life.

I would suggest finding out if any of your friends locally see a chiropractor and if they could recommend one to you. Chiropractors are very hit-or-miss, so make sure you find one who really knows what he's doing and has your best interests for the long term.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Also, I have recently gotten some serious back pain in my lower back - still have been exercising through it - even had back day yesterday... but my back was killing me this morning and the Chiropractor seemed like an easy fix.

I highly suspect that your lower back pain is from using the Smith Machine for squats. The fixed bar tends to make you rest against it and the Smith Machine forces you into unnatural movements patterns. You’re pushing your spinal erectors & neck muscles more against the bar which means more back stress, especially with heavier weights. If your feet are too far forward it puts your lower back in a weak position and will tend to make your lower back round.

the pain started pretty much the moment I got off the smith from doing squats Ms. Holmes!

Ok... fine.. you pointed out on the other thread I also risk knee pain and I also recently have been getting knee pain on my right leg after using the smith.. I guess it's time to figure out how to do a squat properly.

Start with goblet squats. They are a very similar movement pattern to a regular barbell squat. Using the chiro money to invest in a trainer for a month would be a very good idea.
  • MrTolerable
    Options

Start with goblet squats. They are a very similar movement pattern to a regular barbell squat. Using the chiro money to invest in a trainer for a month would be a very good idea.

I'm switching gyms soon and will be getting a freeeee personal trainger for 20 mins for 2x 2 weeks - I'll drill her with questions on 'goblet squats'.

thanks for the solid advice! :D

^seriously impressed you figured out exactly what exercise caused it off of hardly knowing my routine.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    Just like every other profession: some are quacks and some are equivalent to the celestial being you mention. You might have to look around to find the right one. I've had a bad back since I was 20 and I've seen several chiro's over the years. This is what I've learned:

1. They can't fix every problem. Adjustments are only good for a disc that is pinching a nerve and causing pain, spasms etc. If they tell you they can cure cancer by cracking your back it's bullstuff.
    2. The benefits of an adjustment are immediate and should last a long time. A CHIROPRACTOR told me this. The ones that tell you to come 3 times a week just want your money. An adjustment should fix the problem and set you on your way to healing within a day or two.
    3. Don't go too often. Go only when you are hurt and in pain for more than 3 days. A spasm or sore muscle should heal up by then. If not, there is a bigger problem (like a disc pinching a nerve) and an adjustment will most likely help.
    4. Just because your spine is misaligned does not mean there is a problem! EVERYBODY has misaligned discs in their back- it is natural and it just happens. You only need an adjustment if it is causing pain or discomfort- let your muscles, posture etc. deal with every thing else. You don't need an adjustment every time your discs move around or you would need one every day.
    5. If you have chronic symptoms that don't go away or come back soon- see an MD and get an MRI. Preferably a D.O.

^very informative. thanks for taking the time to write that out. Great input.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every post here, but I worked for a chiropractor for close to a year. At that point I couldn't' take watching him take advantage of people any more. The interesting thing is I read someone say if a chiropractor doesn't take x-rays they aren't going to be good. The guy I worked for took x-rays of everyone for $$$. He used a Pro-adjuster that someone else mentioned too. He adjusted me 2-3 times a week the entire time I worked for him and I never felt a bit better. My headaches actually got worse. Shortly before I left he had a partner join the practice. That guy rarely does x-rays. He primarily does manual adjustments (although he has a decompression table he uses for some patients). I went to him ONCE after I quit and felt 100x better than when the other guy used his expensive machine over and over. (BTW it was a "perk" of the job to get the adjustments for free. I would NEVER go to this guy as a paying customer knowing what I know.)

I really want to go see the partner again but I dread bumping into the guy I worked for. (Who also pushed VERY expensive supplements and orthotics on more of his patients than not... especially those with good insurance or those who were clearly not so bright.)

So, I'm with those that say a good chiropractor can do some good. A not-so-good one will just help you empty your wallet and meet your insurance deductible.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I'm switching gyms soon and will be getting a freeeee personal trainger for 20 mins for 2x 2 weeks - I'll drill her with questions on 'goblet squats'.

thanks for the solid advice! :D

^seriously impressed you figured out exactly what exercise caused it off of hardly knowing my routine.

You talked about squatting 2x your body weight on the Smith Machine.
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/03/03/strength-training-101-how-to-squat-properly/
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/goblet-squat
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I have never used a Chiropractor for myself but (and feel free to mock me) I did take a dog to one for a while and it made a huge difference in the quality of the last year of his life. I would do it again for twice the price.

I have also known several people who benefitted greatly from Chiropractic treatment.

I am sure there are some who are complete quacks but the same can be said of MDs as well. Western medicine doesn’t have all the answers, not by a long shot.

Take it from someone who has spent over 10 years taking care of a parent who has had 9 back surgeries and spends most days in a medicated haze and can’t walk 30 feet to get the mail.

Get a good recommendation and trust your instincts.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    If you've had an injury for long enough, your muscles develop accordingly around that injury and can keep the injured disc out of place. Only repeat readjustment will change the disc and the muscles. This is why some chiropractors want to see you multiple times a month, not just once.
  • MrTolerable
    Options
    If you've had an injury for long enough, your muscles develop accordingly around that injury and can keep the injured disc out of place. Only repeat readjustment will change the disc and the muscles. This is why some chiropractors want to see you multiple times a month, not just once.

makes sense - in my unique situation however this back tweak occured yesterday...

it is worth saying, I don't have a pinched nerve or broken disk or what not... It just hurts - but I was able to run 5 miles after it occurred yesterday and was walking all over this morning visiting a client with no problems and just a little pain.

on a positive note I highly recommend IcyHot's XL back patch! Not a long term solution but it certainly is a bandaid for the muscle.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I didn't read every post here, but I worked for a chiropractor for close to a year. At that point I couldn't' take watching him take advantage of people any more. The interesting thing is I read someone say if a chiropractor doesn't take x-rays they aren't going to be good. The guy I worked for took x-rays of everyone for $$$. He used a Pro-adjuster that someone else mentioned too. He adjusted me 2-3 times a week the entire time I worked for him and I never felt a bit better. My headaches actually got worse. Shortly before I left he had a partner join the practice. That guy rarely does x-rays. He primarily does manual adjustments (although he has a decompression table he uses for some patients). I went to him ONCE after I quit and felt 100x better than when the other guy used his expensive machine over and over. (BTW it was a "perk" of the job to get the adjustments for free. I would NEVER go to this guy as a paying customer knowing what I know.)

I really want to go see the partner again but I dread bumping into the guy I worked for. (Who also pushed VERY expensive supplements and orthotics on more of his patients than not... especially those with good insurance or those who were clearly not so bright.)

So, I'm with those that say a good chiropractor can do some good. A not-so-good one will just help you empty your wallet and meet your insurance deductible.

Yes, indeed. As a licensed massage therapist, I have worked for several. I was also a patient of another for a short while. One gave masterful, MANUAL adjustments. The others phoned in some sort of spring loaded hammer bs (which took 30 seconds), and had us massage you for an hour, and took your insurance money. I left because it really began to seem unethical. The bulk of patients intimated that they came for the free (insurance covered) massages and felt like the adjustments were the price of admission. Not cool.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options

makes sense - in my unique situation however this back tweak occured yesterday...

it is worth saying, I don't have a pinched nerve or broken disk or what not... It just hurts - but I was able to run 5 miles after it occurred yesterday and was walking all over this morning visiting a client with no problems and just a little pain.

on a positive note I highly recommend IcyHot's XL back patch! Not a long term solution but it certainly is a bandaid for the muscle.

That sounds like it's just a little muscle tweak, definitely seems more of a physio situation to me. They'll help to alleviate the pain & give you exercises to strengthen the muscles involved and stop it happening again.

Sidenote: a good friend of mine had some lower back pain and went to a chiropractor. As a result he's only starting to recover from the two surgeries and the removal of part of one of his disks as a result, and his back will never be the same.
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I am going to the chiropractor for the first real time today... I had gone to one as a child (5-11) for my ear but can't recall anything positive or negative, just that he would grab my ear and yank on it till something cracked :laugh:

Is this beneficial because it is sorta decent $$$ and I was thinking, it cost half as much as getting my hair cut so I'm wondering if it would be wise to blow decent money twice a month on myself yet again especially if this isn't extremely beneficial. - my monthly cost of living has just skyrocketed over the past six months and I'm having to be a budget stickler now - hydrafacials only once a month moving forward :sad: :sad:

Also, if you are not in favor of the Chiropractor who would you recommend in their place? A massage therapist? :wink:

Chiropractic fixes mechanical displacement. it's physics. If you have something like a spine, when it goes out of alignment, the shock absorbing function of the curve goes all to pot, and the spaces between vertebrae cause pinchings of nerves. The trick and the reason for the whippy methods, is to send that curve back into position again.

If your chiropractor is good, 3 things.

1. you will be expected to have x-rays, standing, with special bits covered in lead, to get proper standing postural x-rays. They should not touch you without x-rays, but x-rays cost money. Expect to pay, then, for your standing x-rays.
    2. you may start with 3 adjustments a week for 2 weeks, even. but eventually you will tick along with about 3 - 4 adjustments a year. To start with your muscles will be used to being in certain states of clenched tightness - and that needs some work. Get massages prior to adjustments and they will last longer, and you will get to that 'ticking over' stage quicker.

You should be given muscle work at an adjustment - either using one of those fabulous vibrating guns, or via fingers. It's painful but it unlocks spasmed muscles around the site of injury.
    ]
    3. when you get your next set of x-rays you will SEE the difference. Quite clearly, on the x-ray, you will see the difference.

It's not magic, it's not juju, it's not hidden. It's dead clear what's happening and is perfectly logical. The only time it's no good is when you're not dealing with bone alignments. It's not going to help you with a torn ligament. :)

The horror stories you are hearing are rubbish - i am left wondering if any of these 'chiropractors' in these stories have any certification? Ask about certification. also: if you don't like the crack, get them to use the little rubber gun.

I find the rubber gun best on my lower back, because I can easily go into an overloosened state, so tiny adjustments are best.
  • KinoM
    Options

The horror stories you are hearing are rubbish

Dismissive much? Enjoy your kool aid.
  • aneary1980
    aneary1980 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I am going to the chiropractor for the first real time today... I had gone to one as a child (5-11) for my ear but can't recall anything positive or negative, just that he would grab my ear and yank on it till something cracked :laugh:

Is this beneficial because it is sorta decent $$$ and I was thinking, it cost half as much as getting my hair cut so I'm wondering if it would be wise to blow decent money twice a month on myself yet again especially if this isn't extremely beneficial. - my monthly cost of living has just skyrocketed over the past six months and I'm having to be a budget stickler now - hydrafacials only once a month moving forward :sad: :sad:

Also, if you are not in favor of the Chiropractor who would you recommend in their place? A massage therapist? :wink:

I have been to doctors, chiropractors and physios.

The doctors are the cause of me slipping so many discs they advised against foot sugery which has caused a major unallingment in my back.

The Physios haven't noticed that I'm not allinged properly until I tell them

The chriopractors have been the only people who have sorted my back out and the reccommended exercises have reduced the slipping of discs. So worth the money.
  • KinoM
    Options