Alcohol and weight spikes

Options
Hi everyone.

I've found that even if I stick to my daily calories, factoring in/allocating specific calories for alcoholic drinks, that when I drink alcohol the next day I spike up to five pounds in weight.

I've heard it could be a dehydrating effect at work, but the weight doesn't always come off within a few days.

Sticking to deficit/maintenance calories(and I mean it, I'm really, really careful with my intake), is it really possible to put on such an amount of weight permanently, or is this really just the aforementioned dehydration?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Sigmalongshot
    Options
    Sorry to bump this but does anyone else have any insights into this? Maybe personal experience?

Thanks in advance everyone.
  • Jess__I__Can
    Jess__I__Can Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Don't know, I usually weight less because I am dehydrated and need to get more water in my system. Unless I get the alcohol munchies.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    It's water weight.
  • Sigmalongshot
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys.

As a man at about 5' 7, 1700 calories isn't very much so when my weight spikes, I think to myself, "surely I shouldn't have to lower my caloric intake any further!"

I did, however notice that though last night I'd had a few pints (factored into my intake calories) this morning (and even now, to an extent) the ring on my finger was almost slicing it off, it was so tight - and that's a sign of water retention, isn't it?

Thanks again.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Terrible article. Seriously, really really bad.

I often get a short weight spike if I've been out drinking - but it's gone after a few days.

Unless you drank 17,500 calories worth of alcohol its not real weight gain. And if you did you have other issues you need to address first.

Weight fluctuates naturally - try not to get to obsessed over jumps, especially when you can link them with reasons, and look at the overall trend in weight.

This is why it's also recommended to take photos* and measurements so you have other ways to judge your progress.

Good luck and don't worry about the odd drink esp if it's within your calories. Last night I had a large glass of wine - but I still hit my macro goals and stayed under my calories :drinker:

*try to take the photos in the same spot/position/clothes each time for a true comparison.
  • lwestmill
    lwestmill Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    My personal experience for July 4th weekend. I thought it was the damn beef hotdog and toastito chips (I've found that I'm salt sensitive ) But it might have been the apple pie moonshine. All of these selections were carefully added into my calorie count. I gained 2.6 pounds by Monday after weigh in. I realize that isn't your 5 pounds but I am having a hard time getting the 2.6 pounds off. Today is Thursday and I have only lost 6 ounces. And trust me, I'm very frustrated. Good luck Sigmalongshot.
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options

As a man at about 5' 7, 1700 calories isn't very much so when my weight spikes, I think to myself, "surely I shouldn't have to lower my caloric intake any further!"

I did, however notice that though last night I'd had a few pints (factored into my intake calories) this morning (and even now, to an extent) the ring on my finger was almost slicing it off, it was so tight - and that's a sign of water retention, isn't it?

Thanks again.

Yep. The tight ring is a dead giveaway. I don't ever weigh on a day when my rings are obviously snug. All that tells you is how much you weigh PLUS how much extra water you are lugging around at the moment.
  • peanutbutter_runner
    peanutbutter_runner Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The morning after a few too many tequila shots a while ago I actually was down 3 lbs overnight. It was all mostly back the next day of course, but I certainly did not gain from the alcohol. It dehydrated me a lot.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I often get a short weight spike if I've been out drinking - but it's gone after a few days.

Unless you drank 17,500 calories worth of alcohol its not real weight gain. And if you did you have other issues you need to address first.

Weight fluctuates naturally - try not to get to obsessed over jumps, especially when you can link them with reasons, and look at the overall trend in weight.

This is why it's also recommended to take photos* and measurements so you have other ways to judge your progress.

Good luck and don't worry about the odd drink esp if it's within your calories. Last night I had a large glass of wine - but I still hit my macro goals and stayed under my calories :drinker:

*try to take the photos in the same spot/position/clothes each time for a true comparison.

No, that's actually what happens when you drink alcohol. Pretty well-known facts in there.
  • zacharyvoss
    zacharyvoss Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Is it a bad thing to hit all my carb/fat/protein ratios but then BLOW up on calories? I factored in some alcohol I plan on having tomorrow. Will it really affect me this much? Or should i just start jogging first thing tomorrow till i hit 700 calories burned?

picture of my meal plan:
    http://i.imgur.com/qjA0m84.jpg
  • Sigmalongshot
    Options

Thanks again.

Yep. The tight ring is a dead giveaway. I don't ever weigh on a day when my rings are obviously snug. All that tells you is how much you weigh PLUS how much extra water you are lugging around at the moment.

It's irritating as it's evening here (Scotland) and I'm still like the StayPuft Marshmallow Man with no way to get this ring off!

If it is, as you're saying, just water retention (and forgive my ignorance here), will this dissipate by tomorrow? Or will I be a water-trap for several days?

Thank you, by the way, guys!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

Thanks again.

It's irritating as it's evening here (Scotland) and I'm still like the StayPuft Marshmallow Man with no way to get this ring off!

If it is, as you're saying, just water retention (and forgive my ignorance here), will this dissipate by tomorrow? Or will I be a water-trap for several days?

Thank you, by the way, guys!

It should go pretty quickly, just drink plenty of water to help :drinker:
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

No, that's actually what happens when you drink alcohol. Pretty well-known facts in there.

Ok I stopped reading at the first line as it is incorrect - why would I continue?

Water: 327.38 grams
    •Calories: 153
    •Protein: 1.64 grams
    •Carbohydrates: 12.64 grams
    •Fiber: 0 grams
    •Total Fat: 0 grams
    •Saturated Fat: 0 grams

Micronutrients:
    •Calcium: 14 milligrams
    •Iron: 0.07 milligrams
    •Magnesium: 21 milligrams
    •Phosphorus: 50 milligrams
    •Potassium: 96 milligrams
    •Sodium: 14 milligrams
    •Zinc: 0.04 milligrams
    •Vitamin C: 0 milligrams
    •Thiamine: 0.018 milligrams
    •Riboflavin: 0.089 milligrams
    •Niacin: 1.826 milligrams
    •Pantothenic Acid: 0.146 milligrams
    •Vitamin B6: 0.164 milligrams
    •Vitamin B12: 0 micrograms
    •Folate: 21 micrograms
    •Vitamin A: 0 International Units

How is this no nutritional value?
  • Melanncoli
    Options
    Really bad article. Bad wrtiing and no evidence to back up any of the claims.

I also packed on some lbs over the 4th of July weekend after over-indulging in beer. I'm hopeful I can shed it soon! Good luck to you.