Weight gain all time high .. Help!

Options
Hello,

My history of maintaining a healthy weight is pretty much the same as others , Temporary . I struggle with emotional eating , I eat to soothe my emotions.. I'm overweight and I physically do not recognize myself . It's depressing , I'm all out of options , please any feedback would be helpful. thanks

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Start weighing and logging everything. It may be eye-opening to see how many calories you actually take in. Once you see what you actually eat, aim to eat within your MFP calorie goals.

When an emotional eating moment hits you, drink a glass of water and go for a walk/bike ride/run/do something else. Eventually, the craving/moment will pass and you will have avoided the emotional eating.
  • justbetty9
    justbetty9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hey, emotional eating it something very tricky to deal with, and I know how you feel, however I do the complete opposite, I eat nothing. A few years a go my weight was at an all time low, I didn't see it and it wasn't until a friend sat me down and asked me why I never ate any food. I couldn't answer her, other than 'my stomach is in knots all the time, I cant eat'. So she asked me why? That question took me on a journey. I realised that I was so unhappy in my life, my partner wasn't a very nice man and my mum had recently died. So I knew that I needed to deal with those issues and when I did my eating habits just seemed to fall into place. My weight went up and now if I am ever feeling sad about anything I know that not eating isn't going to help me or solve the problem so I try and tackle that instead.

So basically my advice to you is, your bad eating habits are just a manifestation of a bigger issue that needs attention. You need to start with the issues that are making you emotional, once you have these under control you can start to control your eating habits too.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck xx
  • azzurdeesoutherland
    Options
    Thank you so much for your insight, I'm beginning to count calories again through MFP. Also I will take you advice and use your water revommendation . I've also found comfort in the supportive community network :) . Thanks for the reply . Hope you meet your goals !
  • azzurdeesoutherland
    Options
    @xcalygrl- That's an amazing point you have made , I agree 100% . I've definitely been looking into the underlying cause of emotional eating. Emotional control and stability is a process and I must deal with lt head on . thank you for sharing your personal . I can see that you have successfully overcome that hurdle .. I admire that. Best of luck on you future goals
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
  • steelyjoe22
    steelyjoe22 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I feel for you . . . I'm a stress eater. Stress happens from time to time, and I recently went through this and gained back about 20 lbs.

The advice to log good AND bad days is solid . . . don't hide from the scale or the calorie count. It leads to where I am today.

Also, personally, admitting that I've had a rough couple of months here and asking my friends/family to support me as I make some positive changes is liberating. I'm trying not to beat myself up for the past, and just look forward.

Healthy diet and regular exercise help me to feel overall better emotionally . . . so if I can just get back into those things, I can help myself two-fold.
  • harlanJEN
    harlanJEN Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options

INDEED!

I will also recommend Geneen Roth to you on the subject of emotional eating. She has many books but the one I recommend grabbing first is : if You Are Going To Eat At The Refrigerator - Pull Up A Chair.
  • coachh4
    coachh4 Posts: 8
    Options
    Follow the application Dietpoint. They give you many meals plan that fit wit the calories you need. They give u a grocery lists and all. And theres a forum where you can discuss any subject u want.
  • BabyBobblehead
    BabyBobblehead Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In my personal experience I find that a low carb lifestyle is the easiest way to control disordered eating.
    There is research on how this WOE has regulated actual eating disorders and how the control of blood sugar (and hormones) helps emotional eating.

This is what I have found personally and am certainly not saying one approach suits all but I wanted to share with you in case it helps.

Also, I totally support what others here have said about needing to address the reasons for the emotions / need for comfort.
  • bensndru3
    bensndru3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I spent several years emotional eating dealing with an abusive husband (and the divorce that followed), with several big life changes, as well as dealing with depression. My weight climbed and the more I saw my body expanding the more stressed I became. So I ate more. I spent years... YEARS feeling ashamed about my weight. I hated everything about my body and walking by a mirror made me so unhappy. It wasn't until I decided to go back to school and found a group of amazing women that I realized how destructive my thoughts were.
    I encourage you to take a good, uncritical look at your self. See the beauty right now. You may not look exactly the way you want to but you are beautiful now and there is no reason to wait until you are "thin" to feel good about your body. Once I started seeing myself this way, my goals changed from being thin or pretty to becoming healthy. I feel better. I am not where I want to be but I know that I will get there and until then, I like what I see every morning in the mirror. Eat healthy (and do keep track, it makes a big difference) and get out of the house. Be beautiful NOW! because we all deserve it.
  • justbetty9
    justbetty9 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Very well said :)

I spent several years emotional eating dealing with an abusive husband (and the divorce that followed), with several big life changes, as well as dealing with depression. My weight climbed and the more I saw my body expanding the more stressed I became. So I ate more. I spent years... YEARS feeling ashamed about my weight. I hated everything about my body and walking by a mirror made me so unhappy. It wasn't until I decided to go back to school and found a group of amazing women that I realized how destructive my thoughts were.
    I encourage you to take a good, uncritical look at your self. See the beauty right now. You may not look exactly the way you want to but you are beautiful now and there is no reason to wait until you are "thin" to feel good about your body. Once I started seeing myself this way, my goals changed from being thin or pretty to becoming healthy. I feel better. I am not where I want to be but I know that I will get there and until then, I like what I see every morning in the mirror. Eat healthy (and do keep track, it makes a big difference) and get out of the house. Be beautiful NOW! because we all deserve it.
  • cookiekrunch
    cookiekrunch Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hello,

My history of maintaining a healthy weight is pretty much the same as others , Temporary . I struggle with emotional eating , I eat to soothe my emotions.. I'm overweight and I physically do not recognize myself . It's depressing , I'm all out of options , please any feedback would be helpful. thanks

I was were you are now. Look at my picture on the left. That's me at 260lbs. I have lost 70 lbs. I did not recognize myself and didn't understand how I got so big. I did not see the weight when I looked at myself in the mirror everyday. After looking at that picture and asking myself "Who is this person"?, I decided to change. It starts with cutting out the sugar and soda then replacing them with water. Next, is eating healthier. You can still eat out but look at a menu before you go. Ask for substitutions.
    Since you are an emotional eater, stock the pantry and fridge with healthier food options. Try going for a walk instead of grabbing the bag of potato chips after a stressful day. Experiment with different types of foods you would have never given a chance. Your taste buds will change with every healthier step you make.

Log everything you eat into MFP. Even when you know you will go over your caloric intake limit. You may start seeing a pattern of the binge eating. Looking at your calories consumed may also force you put the sweets down. It gets to the point where you decided it's not worth the extra 300 calories.

Start with wanting to become a healthier you, which in turn allows you to become a skinnier you.
  • ErikaHope203
    ErikaHope203 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hi. i completely relate to where you are coming from regarding the emotional eating and not recognizing yourself , and it's really difficult to know how and where to even start! My suggestion is to start walking a few days a week for about 30 minutes even. I started doing this as it didn't feel too overwhelming to me to start out and get my body used to exercise again. Also, remember not to be too hard on yourself. I feel slightly guilty because I haven't really done much exercise since this past Saturday, but I told myself instead of sitting around feeling guilty to get up and start moving again. It's a constant internal conversation with myself, as I do believe so much of it is emotional/mental as opposed to purely physical. Logging is extremely helpful to me because it gives me a basic guideline to remind me how much I am and should be eating right now. This is also a wonderful and supportive community of people who are all on a similar path or maybe have similar goals. You're not alone!