You're so lucky you can eat anything you want!

Options
Hands up if you've had that yet? :D

Replies

• MeganAnne89
    MeganAnne89 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Hands up if you've had that yet? :D

Do you mean if someone's said that to you? Then I have.

But I think what they don't realize is that yes, I pretty much eat whatever I want but that doesn't mean that I do it all the time. I exercise 4+ days a week and I also watch my calories, despite having McDonalds on occasion.
  • quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    LOL I had a terrible day yesterday and went into the local international market to buy a bunch of sweets - didn't binge, but worked them into day's calories

The cashier lady was like "let me see what you're buying, obviously it works!"

I was like "Hahah maaaan this is not typical for me...and I'll eat just a couple of the cookies today, and this binge buy will last me for MONTHS. Don't follow this example please!"

Portion control, portion control, portion control always!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I usually respond with something like, "Uh, so can you! I just know when to stop. And that's not luck, that's called being educated on nutrition and knowing my maintenance calories."
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I had a comment similar to that too...someone at work commented on how many snacks I bring to work and I said "Yes, well I love to eat." And they commented with "well you don't look like it!"

...Wasn't sure to take it as a compliment or be bothered lol :noway:
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    The harder I try the luckier I get....
  • alexuh
    alexuh Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I went to a restaurant with friends a few months ago and I got a vegetarian lasagne... Then we got a free 12" seafood pizza as they somehow messed up the order. Turns out none of my friends like seafood pizza so I had a large portion of the pizza on top of my main meal. I was picking and giving bits to my boyfriend, but the amount of 'your metabolism is INSANE' comments I got was crazy! I don't have a ridiculously fast metabolism at all, I eat a healthy amount and healthy foods 80% of the time but I swear my friends 100% believed I had this holy metabolism.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I went to a restaurant with friends a few months ago and I got a vegetarian lasagne... Then we got a free 12" seafood pizza as they somehow messed up the order. Turns out none of my friends like seafood pizza so I had a large portion of the pizza on top of my main meal. I was picking and giving bits to my boyfriend, but the amount of 'your metabolism is INSANE' comments I got was crazy! I don't have a ridiculously fast metabolism at all, I eat a healthy amount and healthy foods 80% of the time but I swear my friends 100% believed I had this holy metabolism.

Weight loss is a myth and magic to most people.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I am definitely not thin but after a 130 lb weight loss I have started getting the skeptical comments and side-eye from some of my friends and acquaintances who think that my "story" about calorie counting to lose weight is a lie or not the whole truth.

This usually occurs when my husband and I travel and I mention something I've eaten on the trip, or when someone is talking about new restaurants locally and I mention that I have been there and enjoyed it.

A lot of people, especially women in their 30's who are dieting, do NOT want to believe, for some odd reason, that you can lose weight and still eat the occasional ice cream or pizza.

One person also commented that I might have a thyroid disorder to have dropped so much weight with relative ease. Ummm, no. I do not. I track everything I eat and if doesn't fit into my daily calories/macros I don't eat it. Just because I shared a photo of the slice of cake I had doesn't mean I ate that every night last week or paired it with a double cheeseburger. Then again maybe I did...right after my strenuous hike or bike ride.
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    I hear it all of the time. But what people don't realize is that when I'm out with them "eating whatever I want", I pay close attention to what I eat the rest of the time.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I can, but don't.

What's not apparent to them is what I turn do down.

The grass always seems greener it seems.
  • hj1119
    hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had a comment similar to that too...someone at work commented on how many snacks I bring to work and I said "Yes, well I love to eat." And they commented with "well you don't look like it!"

That's funny because I had a boss once who was in shape, and she brought tons of snacks to work and always ate lots more than me (I felt) and I used to make comments like your friend too. It was only because I didn't know better. Don't be bothered by it - consider them uneducated!

Now I'M the one with a snack cupboard in my office full of healthy grabs.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    *waves wildly*
  • nyboer
    nyboer Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I hear it all of the time. But what people don't realize is that when I'm out with them "eating whatever I want", I pay close attention to what I eat the rest of the time.

^^^ This. I love to eat so when I'm out with friends I thoroughly enjoy myself. But, when I'm eating at home I *try* to be much more disciplined.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    My entire life.
  • shammathews
    shammathews Posts: 56 Member
    Options

[/quoteI ]

I get that a lot too, people assume I don't eat. I eat ALL. THE. TIME.
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    I still have a lot of weight to lose but I've had some good results so far. People that know me or work with me say to me often that I seem to just eat what ever I want and be a little jealous. Lunch will often be a big sandwich with roast beef, horse radish and cheddar cheese and they'll wonder how I'm losing weight eating like that.

What they don't realize is that I weigh everything I put on my sandwhich in grams (including the bread) then work my day around it to make sure I don't go over my calorie allowance. I'm also sticking as close to my Macros as I can which they also don't know.

If people in the office saw my 5 lb bag of sour gummy worms they would really be confused :P.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

^^^ This. I love to eat so when I'm out with friends I thoroughly enjoy myself. But, when I'm eating at home I *try* to be much more disciplined.

I agree with this too. One of my good friends, M, is also on MFP. We will go out to dinner with other friends and everyone pretty much orders the same things & we all have fun. The only difference is that M and I both had a tiny breakfast and lunch to 'afford' the big Mexican dinner or burger & beer.
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard exactly this but I shocked someone at work one day because I was eating doritos with a salad. Apparently taco salad is foreign to them. :) Anyway, I got the "OMG I can't believe YOU are eating junk"! This is why I am successful because I do eat junk I just choose to have it in moderation, that comment usually sets them off with a whatever or harump comment.

Don't let the others get to you, most times they just don't understand what's going on. The world revolves around obesity and "diets" so just eating generally healthy is unknown.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Yes, and different versions of "It's so much easier when you're young" and "I wish I had a metabolism like yours."

I take care of myself, and that has nothing to do with luck, wishes, or age.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    nobody has ever said that to me because....I am fat. :)

And I have said something like this to my friends" you are so lucky because you can just stop eating to lose weight. I can't stop eating nor thinking of food"