Still confused a little bit. Humor me please

Options
So I am 5'10" Started out at my heaviest 248 and I am sitting around 204/205. Gonna use round numbers for example below.

I have my calories set at 1800 ( lets not talk about how low that is, we can save that for another topic LOL). I own a HRM and I usually run in the morning for about 600 calories burned then at night I work out for around 300 calories burned.

SO lets say I eat 1800 calories. that would mean I only netted about 900 calories right? Since I burned 900? So I actually only consumed 900 for the day which is NO BUENO

So if it comes to 10pm and I am sitting with 900 calories left, what the hell do I do? I don't feel hungry at all. I am well hydrated

This part always confuses me.

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.

And you should probably just eat more throughout the day. Like, ditch the skim dairy products, for instance. Add more olive oil to your salads and cooking. Throw some avocado on your sandwich.

(edit to add, I wish I could burn that much. Men with their calorie burns... grumble* grumble*)
  • jessgetsexy
    jessgetsexy Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I think you should up your calories.... Your body needs the fuel... the right fuel to build muscle and lose the body fat. Try eating 2000 or getting a coach to calculate you caloric needs. You don't want your body to get into starvation mode. Then you wont see much progress.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Ah... this happens to me as well.
    I have major burns every day but eat a lot of nutrient dense low calorie low/no fat foods. My body just responds better to those types of foods. Some days I end up with a negative net for the day which is not healthy at all (this I know), but like you I am just not hungry, in fact by the end of most days I am full! You can look at my diary and see that I really do eat all day long and a variety of healthy stuff. I too was advised to add higher calorie foods in throughout the day e.g., peanut butter, olive oils, whole eggs, nuts, whole fat yogurts, etc. Those kinds of foods usually make me feel kind of sick though.

But yeah to answer your question if your calorie target is 1800 a day and you burn 900, you have only consumed 900 calories for the day.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    You have it correct and you should eat more throughout the day. Don't eat that evening workout unless you are for sure going to do it every day.

When I first started I only ate about half my exercise calories from my HRM to give me some wiggle room for miscounting (I'm not a religious food weigher) and the fact I don't back out my existence calories from that HRM number. You could consider that evening workout your cushion and see how your weight reacts.

And it's easy to increase your calories without eating junk just like WBB55 says.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would just eat a bit more. I routinely top off my calories with dark chocolate covered almonds, even if it is at 10 p.m.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Eating a low amount of calories over a long period of time could slow your metabolism and eventually affect your workouts. How long do you think you could continue to burn 900 calories when only eating 900 calories? How are you meeting your macros (carbs, fat, protein) targets with 900 calories?
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    Still have calories at the end of the day but you're not hungry? Eat anyway! You don't need to be hungry to eat a bowl of ice cream.
  • cmbauer99
    cmbauer99 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree I need to eat more. Just trying to make sure I understand it totally.

I keep telling people that I am actually only consuming 900 and they fight me tooth and nail. They say YOU ARE consuming 1800. I argue " Yes I actually put 1800 calories in my mouth, however I burn 900 of them with exercise there by only netting 900, so I need to eat more "

All I hear is that is ridiculous and you cant eat 2700 calories and lose weight. Blah blah
  • cmbauer99
    Options
    Eating a low amount of calories over a long period of time could slow your metabolism and eventually affect your workouts. How long do you think you could continue to burn 900 calories when only eating 900 calories? How are you meeting your macros (carbs, fat, protein) targets with 900 calories?

I am actually eating 1800 calories. But burning 900, there by only netting 900.

My macros are decent with 1800 calories
  • Branstin
    Options

If you met your macros at 1800 calories and burned 900 of those calories then it means you are functioning on only 900 net calories which is very low. You will still be short on your macros. It is recommended that you don't drop below 1200. In addition to burning fat pounds, you need to make sure you are giving your body the required amount of nutrients for good health. Losing weight is only the first part. The second part is achieving and maintaining good health. This is going to be nearly impossible to do on only 900 calories. You don't have to eat back all of them because most of the exercise equipment and gadgets tend to overestimate calories burned but you should eat back a portion. Something like 25-50%.
  • cmbauer99
    Options

If you met your macros at 1800 calories and burned 900 of those calories then it means you are functioning on only 900 net calories which is very low. You will still be short on your macros. It is recommended that you don't drop below 1200. In addition to burning fat pounds, you need to make sure you are giving your body the required amount of nutrients for good health. Losing weight is only the first part. The second part is achieving and maintaining good health. This is going to be nearly impossible to do on only 900 calories. You don't have to eat back all of them because most of the exercise equipment and gadgets tend to overestimate calories burned but you should eat back a portion. Something like 25-50%.

OK OK that makes sense. Sometimes reading too much hinders the mind processing correctly. LOL

I was so tempted last night at 10pm to go grab Dairy queen to just get back to 1800 calories. But then I talked myself out of it.

Exercise to get healty, eat less to lose weight, only to eat more to make up for your exercise?? it all sounds so counter productive! hahahahah
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

I keep telling people that I am actually only consuming 900 and they fight me tooth and nail. They say YOU ARE consuming 1800. I argue " Yes I actually put 1800 calories in my mouth, however I burn 900 of them with exercise there by only netting 900, so I need to eat more "

All I hear is that is ridiculous and you cant eat 2700 calories and lose weight. Blah blah

Who are these people and why do you need their approval to eat?
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter.

And you should probably just eat more throughout the day. Like, ditch the skim dairy products, for instance. Add more olive oil to your salads and cooking. Throw some avocado on your sandwich.

(edit to add, I wish I could burn that much. Men with their calorie burns... grumble* grumble*)

this!
  • cmbauer99
    Options

Who are these people and why do you need their approval to eat?

Since losing weight and working out like crazy, I am probably like most people, and I talk about it a lot. About getting heathly and eating and exercising and etc etc. So its just discussions I have with friends. Nothing major or bad, just back and fourths with them.

Lord knows I never needed anyones approval to get fat, don't need approval to eat now. LOL
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Exercise to get healty, eat less to lose weight, only to eat more to make up for your exercise?? it all sounds so counter productive! hahahahah

Cardio for your heart and blood vessels
    Impact exercises to prevent bone loss
    Lift weights while losing to retain lean muscle
    Eat at a reasonable deficit from your TDEE to lose weight
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Eat more during the day
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I don't know if you can lose weight on 2700 calories but I'm with the people who say "you ate 1800". If you burned 10,000, you burned 10,000. But 'net calories' is a MFP construct that isn't used elsewhere because it doesn't make much sense. The only 'net' that matters is your total burn minus your intake. That determines your weight loss. Yes, I know, "MFP is set up for you to eat back exercise calories to retain your intended deficit". That's fine. But you didn't "only eat 900". If people choose to view it as 'only eating 900' that's fine but no medical professional would agree that it's analogous to eating 900. You took in 1800 calories of nutrition- vitamins, minerals, fiber, fat, etc.
  • cmbauer99
    Options

I don't know if you can lose weight on 2700 calories but I'm with the people who say "you ate 1800". If you burned 10,000, you burned 10,000. But 'net calories' is a MFP construct that isn't used elsewhere because it doesn't make much sense. The only 'net' that matters is your total burn minus your intake. That determines your weight loss. Yes, I know, "MFP is set up for you to eat back exercise calories to retain your intended deficit". That's fine. But you didn't "only eat 900". If people choose to view it as 'only eating 900' that's fine but no medical professional would agree that it's analogous to eating 900. You took in 1800 calories of nutrition- vitamins, minerals, fiber, fat, etc.

Ok I can see this side of the argument now. All of this is very helpful.
  • Branstin
    Options

OK OK that makes sense. Sometimes reading too much hinders the mind processing correctly. LOL

I was so tempted last night at 10pm to go grab Dairy queen to just get back to 1800 calories. But then I talked myself out of it.

The initial amount of calories MFP generates already has a calorie deficiency built into it. When you exercise and burn calories, you are creating a bigger deficiency. If you don't eat back some of those calories it could cause problems for you in the future.

Take a look at your profile set-up and study the break-down: My Home > Goals
  • NEdblT
    NEdblT Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's counter productive at all. You're very active! Athletes, pros especially in any sport eat a heck of a lot more calories just to maintain weight and muscle.
    Lmao on approval comment, I didn't need it to get 50lbs overweight either! funny. :-)