Learning yoga?

Options
Anyone have any good resources on learning yoga other than going to a studio?

I don't have a bunch of money so ideally, kind of cheap ways of learning yoga please?

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    I go to drop in classes at the city run leisure center...it's really not expensive. I've tried videos and they all seem lame. There might be some on youtube though. Research the different types of yoga and start at the beginner level. Don't fear the poses! There's always modified poses you can do.
  • lmojoallen
    lmojoallen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    doyogawithme.com free streaming videos with a huge variety of styles / time / level and if you have comcast cable they have on demand fitness videos including yoga.

Also most studios offer either free class trials or super cheap 7 day passes so try some at home and then do go to a studio it really is a different experience and will help you push your practice at home and give you an idea of how to make practicing at home a really relaxing experience.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I just looked up beginner videos on YouTube, to get myself familiar with everything, then joined a class at my gym. I still use YouTube for my daily sessions. DoYouYoga is a pretty good channel.
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I love Eckhart Yoga on youtube. She has a website too you can join, but there are plenty of free videos.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    Bump

Also - do an internet search of yoga facilities in your area. When I did one, I found a donation based yoga place - it's free to go but they recommend a $2 - $10 donation for each visit.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Try your community centre. A lot of yoga studios have Karma classes which are much cheaper.

As mentioned, doyogawithme.com is excellent as is the app "Yoga Studio" (available on ios) but I think was $5.
  • Kelce4Fit
    Kelce4Fit Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have the Daily Yoga app on my phone. It has a plug in just for beginners! I think it would be a great option for you! And most of the plug ins are free!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Do a Google search for free classes in your area.

It is not a good idea to try to learn it from videos or books.
  • PhotoBombed
    Options
    I know that YouTube has a ton of yoga videos. Idk where you live...but my cable company has On Demand with free workout videos including yoga. :) Good luck.
  • kaylurzz
    kaylurzz Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Youtube! Bunch of channels that have 30min+ flows.

Also, try looking for studios that are donation/pay what you can based.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Hulu.com has a health and fitness channel with tons of different yoga programs......http://www.hulu.com/search?q=yoga

Starting with free is really a good idea. It may take a few tries to find an instructor/yoga style that you click with. I remember hating the first video I tried. Netflix by mail was my go to.

Your local library will have videos also.....to find beginner look them up on a website devoted to (selling) fitness DVDs. Collagevideo.com or Totalfitnessdvds.com
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of You-tube yoga. I did quite a few classes first, though.
    Check out a studio. They often have great prices for drop-ins or one month memberships.
  • #doyouyoga.com is a great resource as well as you tube. Try 30 day yoga challenge with Erin Motz
  • addiepray80
    addiepray80 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love Dr. Melissa West yoga. She has over 200 free hour long classes on YouTube or on drmelissawest.com. She is a great teacher. :) She has several videos that are titled "beginners" (try episode 101 or 117) but she runs her classes so that really anyone can do any of them. She offers modifications for more complex poses and really teaches about the fundamentals of yoga.
  • RaynaElizabeth
    Options
    I like to do the yoga classes on Amazon Prime- there are several good beginner programs, and there are even other options on netflix and on-demand.
  • Sherbear1109
    Sherbear1109 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    YouTube. You can find just about any kind of workout you want on YouTube and it's free! My favorite price.:happy:
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    An app called Gain Yoga.
  • MagicFeather
    MagicFeather Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Gotta give it up for Sadie Nardini. She has a ton of free classes on YouTube + you can get a paid monthly subscription to live and recorded classes on PowHow for $8/month. She has a couple of yoga shred programs 7 &14 days on CodyApp. The free stuff on YouTube is a great place to start though. Good luck!
  • TheVevina
    TheVevina Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I love practicing on youtube: Yoga With Adrienne
  • Yoshimay36
    Yoshimay36 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just use YouTube. I usually work with Adrienne or Ekhart Yoga. Both are good. :)