Is it okay to...

Options
weigh myself in the evening/night? I know I hear a lot that you should always weigh yourself first thing in the morning before you eat etc, but even my new scale isn't accurate (different readings off by several pounds etc). At work in our fitness room, we have a really nice scale that I trust more than the $20 one I bought, but I don't work until the evening. Is it totally stupid to use this scale regularly?

Replies

• Ronni66
    Ronni66 Posts: 43
    Options
    I used to weigh myself every day and I would get fluctuations in my weight SO much it drove me crazy. I am going to try to weigh in every 3-5 days because from what I heard that our bodies gain and lose pounds all day...like water weight or you might way more depending on your eating? Anyway your not stupid for wanting to see those pounds come off...I have to resist the urge to jump on the scale every morning lol
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Yeah I hear ya. The fluctuations are awful..and I'm talking like if I weigh myself, step off, and step back on to double check it and it'll be off by several pounds. Then earlier it was telling me I weighed approx 20 lbs less then I KNEW I did. stupid scale. I think I"ll still with the one at work haha.
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself several times a day, sometimes, but my official weigh-in is on Wednesday mornings before breakfast.

I find it interesting to see intra-week and sometimes intraday changes in weight, but it is just that - for interest.

For longer term weight loss goals - like 6 months or so - you could make your official weigh-ins once a month.
  • Zumbalady808
    Options
    I weight myself every morning, just because I just can't wait to see the pounds drop off...LOL It's just psychological, because 3 to 5 pounds can be water weight... I'm looking for under the 200 pound Mark and when I see under the 190 Mark I'm gonna sit down and cry!!!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I weigh myself at the gym. They have a really nice scale there and even though I would prefer to weigh myself first thing in the morning, I just weigh myself there for an accurate reading. Which actually weighs me at heavier then my doctor's office...go figure...they just want me to work out more! Ha ha!
  • johnricketts
    Options
    Most digital scales have 4 feet, which in pure engineering terms is a poor design (yes, I am an engineer). They will only work properly if placed on an absolutely flat surface, so that load is shared properly between the 4 feet and the body of the scales is not distorted (messing up the reading) by it only sitting on 3. I can make my digital scales give very wild results if I put them across several floor tiles in the bathroom. If I move it to make sure all the feet are sitting on the same tile it works pretty well. Mine is also poor on carpet....
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I think it is ok, so long as you know it won't be 100% accurate because it will depend how much water/etc you consume during the day. If you are ok with that, go for it! We don't even have scales at home, so the only time I can weigh myself is in the late afternoon at the gym, and it can really fluctuate depending how much water ı have drunk that day. It can be frustrating/ demotivating, so I wouldn't suggest weighing yourself every day!
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    You will still get a pretty accurate measurement of your success if you weight at about the same time everyday. Weighing in the evening may show you as a little heavier than you would show in the morning, but that is ok. Any losses will still show. CHEERS!