Breakfast suggestions - more protein less carb-y

Options
iasue
iasue Posts: 46 Member
I am looking to cut back significantly on my carbs - at least things like bread, cereals, more of the processed stuff that I think might be the culprit in the stall of my weight loss. Other than eggs or protein shakes (which I realize have carbs in them), I'm at a loss as to what to eat for breakfast, as most of my breakfasts consisted of cereal, oatmeal, english muffins or similar.

So I'm wondering what others eat to get more protein in and less carbs.

Replies

• jeannelabanane
    jeannelabanane Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a staple of mine in the morning. I mix it with fruit flavoured yogurt (carbs) but there are plenty of options to make it taste less cottage chees-y. I'm able to eat it plain but I prefer the taste with yogurt.
  • ThePhotojournalist
    Options
    What I have is two eggs (I use Egg Beaters), 1 cup of broccoli, 1/4 cup of chopped tomato, 1/4 cup of feta cheese, 1/4 cup of chopped mushrooms, and dill weed spice mixed together and scrambled. You put the broccoli in the pan first, while it cooks combine the following ingredients and add to the pan.
  • rsamuels23
    Options
    Morning is the ideal time to ingest most of your carbs. Your body is starved of carbs from the night's sleep so you need to refuel as soon as possible to enhance body functions. I would suggest that if you are trying to cut carbs do it at other meals not at breakfast. At the same time, you want these carbs to be low GI, therefore whole grains, oats, etc.

A good example of a well balanced breakfast would be something like plain greek yogurt, fruit, and whole wheat toast.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Eggs.... about 1 whole egg... about 7-8 servings of egg white.

Throw in some chopped scallions, Mrs. Dash chicken seasoning, and maybe some turkey maple sausage and you're full for hours.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You can make yogurt parfaits as well, although I guess it typically has some sort of cereal or granola. For me though I've found that I NEED some complex carbs in the morning, or I'm hungry an hour later. A mix of protein, carbs and fiber is the best.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Eggs and bacon
  • alyssamaryw
    Options
    I have a greek yogurt every morning with my coffee. Lots of protein (for a yogurt) and hardly any carbs!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/2 cup of Greek yogurt with 1/2 cup of frozen berries and 2 tsp. Stevia. Yum. Sometimes frozen raspberries, or strawberries are my favorite.
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    3 eggs with one piece of cinnamon swirl toast. I also add additional cinnamon to the toast and add some to my scrambled eggs. 20g of protein, 15 g of carb
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Morning is the ideal time to ingest most of your carbs. Your body is starved of carbs from the night's sleep so you need to refuel as soon as possible to enhance body functions. I would suggest that if you are trying to cut carbs do it at other meals not at breakfast. At the same time, you want these carbs to be low GI, therefore whole grains, oats, etc.

No.

The body functions just fine on few carbs, even totally throughout the day. A few hours sans carbs isn't going to kill you or even reduce body functions.

OP - bacon and eggs are my go-to, but I know a lot of people who love bulletproof coffee (fat instead of protein, but if you're cutting back on carbs overall, it's wise to increase fat).

Really, though, don't limit yourself to "breakfast foods." Like steak or chicken? Eat it for breakfast. Yogurt and cottage cheese are also good options, particularly if you prefer lighter breakfasts.

Check out low-carb/high-fat or keto diet websites for some other ideas. They'll have all sorts of tasty breakfast recipes.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I am looking to cut back significantly on my carbs - at least things like bread, cereals, more of the processed stuff that I think might be the culprit in the stall of my weight loss. Other than eggs or protein shakes (which I realize have carbs in them), I'm at a loss as to what to eat for breakfast, as most of my breakfasts consisted of cereal, oatmeal, english muffins or similar.

So I'm wondering what others eat to get more protein in and less carbs.

I recently cut my carbs from 200-250 to 90-130 net carbs.

If you want bread, buy Sara Lees 45 calorie per slice bread. 2 slices= 17 g carbs.

Breakfast options:

Omelette with veggies

Cottage cheese with fresh fruit (berries contain fewer carbs)

Greek yogurt with fresh fruit

2 scrambled eggs, 2 slices Sara Lee 45 calorie bread with butter

Steel cut oats with flax/chia seeds and sausage
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Leftovers.
  • Menix8
    Menix8 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I mix up a cup of eggs or egg beaters, add in some well chopped veggies and meat, pour into muffin pan, and bake little egg cups that I re-heat and eat for the rest of the week. Ham, a little shredded cheddar, and broccoli is good. Sun dried tomatoes and smoked salmon is what I'm eating this week.
  • PibbleLover88
    PibbleLover88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I really like having cheese and deli meat for breakfast in the morning! Its easy to snack on at my desk too :-)
  • joslaughter203
    joslaughter203 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Saute some fresh spinach, perhaps with some bell pepper and onions, then serve with a fried or poached egg on top of it. Sometimes I saute a few leaves of fresh basil along with the spinach. Have something with vitamin C too, to help your body absorb the iron in the spinach.
  • AylaL13
    AylaL13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I cook up a batch of quinoa in the beginning of the week. Then some days I add black beans, peppers, salsa, cheese. Other days I add honey, vanilla, cinnamon, nuts, raisins. You can add whatever you want. It fills me up. Other days I do yogurt, either plain or mixed with some fruit and/or nuts. I also do overnight oatmeal - mix oatmeal, milk, yogurt, and other stuff - banana and cocoa powder, chia seeds, blueberries, and honey, and so on.
  • 0smiile0
    0smiile0 Posts: 22
    Options
    For protein filled breakfasts I like to make protein pancakes or smoothies with protein powder, eggs and omelettes. Also, if you can get your hands on it, P28 bread is a bread with 28g of protein for 2 slices!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I typically eat a vegetable omelet with some sort of dairy on the side (mostly greek yogurt or cottage cheese), but sometimes I have smoked salmon or some other sort of protein instead of the dairy. I often have fruit too, especially if I work out in the morning or am riding my bike to work. Common alternatives are leftovers (I am perfectly satisfied having non-breakfast food for breakfast) or a salad with protein (often hard boiled eggs).
  • Vickilite
    Vickilite Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like variety, but most work days I have a Dannon Fit and Fresh 80 cal Greek yogurt w/ 1 c berries, 2 T chopped walnuts or pecans, and dash of cinnamon. If I get hungry before lunch, I love a couple of celery stalks with Laughing Cow light cheese in a savory flavor or half and apple w/ Laughing Cow light cinnamon flavor.