Clumsy Man Attempting Yoga

Options
Hey everyone. I've been doing yoga for about a month and it's probably the most challenging exercise I've ever done. I use a DVD which I try to follow and I find myself stumbling all over my living room. As much as I'd like to go to a yoga studio, I'm just flat out embarrassed. I'm afraid I might start stumbling all over the studio making a spectacle of myself. Don't get me wrong, I am feeling the benefits of it but I can't seemed to get more coordinated.

For those of you who are into yoga, did you have the same problems at first when you started? Did you eventually become more coordinated as time went on? I don't want to quit but I'll admit that it gets frustrating not being able to hold certain positions for a given period of time.

Replies

• mommytoaiden
    mommytoaiden Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It'll get easier. I've been going to a class at the gym for about 2 months and I have fallen over a few times and knocked into someone. Your strength will continue to build and the moves will get easier.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    I still fall over. It does get better though.
    See if you can find a beginner's class or series.
  • pagraham1971
    pagraham1971 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been practicing Yoga regularly for the past 9 months, and I am one of the most uncoordinated people I know. You should not be embarrased to go to a yoga studio, you will not be judged, everyone needs to start somewhere. Plus the instructor will be able to give you some modifications to use until you are able to develop the strength for some of the more difficult poses.
  • Grumpsandwich
    Grumpsandwich Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    oh gosh yes, Im clumsy as all get out... But when i started to strengthen the muscle groups required for the poses i gained a lot more stability. ( I also added small non obvious stickers and pictures around the room to use as focal points, having something to lock the eyes onto really helps with balance in the required poses)
  • MichaelVRenner
    MichaelVRenner Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    haha! i had to chuckled at this. good luck, man. i am the same way when it comes to reaching my inner chi.
  • LuckyMunky
    LuckyMunky Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Yes, I definitely had the same problem! I've been doing yoga for about a year now and have made a TON of improvement! I still stumble and fall when I try a new pose, but it's considerably easier (and less embarrassing!) than when I first began. It gets better, but it takes a long time. You'll get there if you stick to it! And remember, even experienced yogis will have balance problems when trying something new.
  • chmtastic
    chmtastic Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I am VERY uncoordinated and was stumbling and wobbly (still am wobbly!!) for some time. I have several different DVDs and do yoga once a week. I've been to a few hot yoga classes, too! (I don't go to a gym, either. I workout at home/run. So for me to even go to a class was a big step!)

It will get easier as you become more flexible and get a better hold of your balance :smile:
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    They're going to sound silly but three things for me:

1. find something to stare at to help you maintain focus
    2. make sure your breathing and concentrating on that
    3. use blocks/straps etc if you are having trouble reaching the floor. modification is ok.
    4. make sure your standing on your whole foot. we tending to lean in/out and front/back when not thinking about it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Oh yes, I'm terrible. I go to a drop in yoga class at my leisure centre. Doesn't stop me though, my teacher shows us modified poses, and I just can't hold the pose, I take it down a notch. Following a teacher is way better than doing a DVD, they can at least help you with form and help you improve your poses.
  • ChristineinMA
    ChristineinMA Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Just remember - approach yoga from where you are. Clumsy, overweight, stiff joints, thoughts too active to sit in meditation? They are all welcome.

My sister is a yoga teacher and some people have told her they can't do yoga because they are not flexible. For her, that's like saying "I can't clean my house, because it is too dirty"

My problem is that I can't bend over without farting!!! :sick:
  • dawnmcneil10
    dawnmcneil10 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    LOL I love this post! Yoga is pretty much the only activity that has ever made me feel clumsy and I'd been trying to come up with how I felt so thank you.

I can't say I'm any better at yoga, I still can't hold some of the poses or even get into some of them but I'm noticing the increased flexibility so that's what keeps me going, not to mention it's a great stress reliever.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing: There are modifications for people who are new to it, which a live yoga instructor can show you to help you keep balance until you are better at it.

This is why you shouldn't try to learn from a DVD. Don't be embarrassed. Go to a studio and talk to the instructor before class starts. Tell him or her that you are new and that you're working on balance. The instructor will offer you special attention as you move through poses. And no one in the class will notice. Usually my eyes are closed as I move through poses.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I purposefully get to the yoga class super early so I can mow anyone in my way down in order to get a spot next to the WALL.

It helps to keep me vertical.

Go for that wall. just not mine. :wink: :laugh: :bigsmile:
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I have straight up fallen over in class *several* times. Only once has anyone else in the class even looked at me afterwards, and mostly because I think she was startled by the noise!

I have actually found yoga classes to be comprised of the nicest people of any exercise class I've ever tried. (For comparison Zumba was like a meeting of the real housewives...so much side-eye when someone couldn't get the combinations down, and dear lord the outfit coordination!)

It takes patience, and time. In just a few months of weekly class, I'm already so much more steady and flexible, even if I have a long way to go to even being halfway decent at yoga!
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Make sure you are engaging your core (tightening your muscles). That will make you significantly less tipsy. Working on your core strength will help you overall.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    This guy eventually managed: http://youtu.be/qX9FSZJu448

I'm sure you'll get there with enough practice.
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    As my old yoga instructor would say "falling out of a pose isn't a failure but another chance to try again". Keep trying.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Yoga for a few years, but I remember that it does get easier. The other thing you might do is try some different videos. You might find one that you enjoy, and can complete a little better. Also, when I was in graduate school, a buddy of mine used to host Broga. All men, all clumsy, waaaaaaaay different vibe. You might think about either a) finding something similar or b) putting something together. It's always nice to practice with other people who can help with your form.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing: There are modifications for people who are new to it, which a live yoga instructor can show you to help you keep balance until you are better at it.

This is why you shouldn't try to learn from a DVD. Don't be embarrassed. Go to a studio and talk to the instructor before class starts. Tell him or her that you are new and that you're working on balance. The instructor will offer you special attention as you move through poses. And no one in the class will notice. Usually my eyes are closed as I move through poses.

I was going to post something very similar to this. I don't believe anyone starts off yoga gracefully. Chances are you're missing something - maybe just slightly - and that's why you have trouble. A good instructor should be able to help correct any errors and/or imbalances you have.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    Working on your core strength will help you overall.

I used to have a lot of trouble with balance and learned that increasing core strength really helps. Keep at it, and maybe do some extra core strengthening exercises.