Stationary Bike vs Elliptical

Options
I carry all my weight on top and my legs are fairly toned with the exception of my inner thigh area. I have wanted to get an elliptical for some time, figuring it gives a full body workout as opposed to a bike which is mainly legs. My fiance wants a stationary bike. He is 6'2" and muscular, and he loses weight easy. We have looked at hybrids but we can't find one we believe to be quality. He isn't giving in. I'm ready to say something is better than nothing but if I continue to tone my legs, I am going to look really strange. As it is I look very odd because my legs are tiny and my stomach on up is huge. I look like a big ball of dough on toothpicks. Can someone give some guidance on this? I originally brought up the idea of an elliptical because I am home all day with our daughter and wanted something I could work into my everyday routine without dragging her out int he cold.

Replies

• Gwenski
    Gwenski Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    So interested in responses! I feel exactly the same and am similar body type.
  • Lizzym911
    Lizzym911 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    i'm happy with my bike, it has toned my legs but i also get a workout on my waist and stomach. i have a recumbent bike and love it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    An elliptical is a great full body workout but you can't spot reduce. Losing weight will make your belly etc smaller because even if you have lots of muscle no one will see it buried under a layer of fat.
  • ROCKNMIMI
    ROCKNMIMI Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Both are good for cardiovascular excercise. The elliptical is easier on your knees where as the treadmill will cause more pressure to your pressure points in the lower body. If you have no problems with your knees they both will give you a similiar workout. If you are coordinated enough, which I am not you could pump 5lb hand weights while you are on the treadmill which would be beneficial because your hands should stay above your heart while walking to avoid swelling in your hands. I hope this helps.
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a Schwinn air dyne. It's really well made and sturdy. I bought mine new but you can find them on Craigslist. When I picked mine up a lady was having one serviced that had 80,000 miles on it. The bike has arms that move when you pedal that work out your arms, chest and core.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm a bike guy myself, never could figure out ellipticals.
    I originally brought up the idea of an elliptical because I am home all day with our daughter and wanted something I could work into my everyday routine without dragging her out int he cold.

This I found a little puzzling as fresh air is generally good for kids & adults alike, winter and summer.......
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    An elliptical is a great full body workout but you can't spot reduce. Losing weight will make your belly etc smaller because even if you have lots of muscle no one will see it buried under a layer of fat.

^This.

You can focus on specific muscles to build/strengthen them, but you cannot lose fat in any specific area. Some people tend to lose fat all over, nice and evenly. Others might lose fat in their butt first, but eventually the rest of the body will start to catch up (not necessarily at the same time or evenly distributed). Some lose in their face first, sort of melting from the top down.

I have an elliptical and I love it.

Good luck.
  • ndearing0501
    ndearing0501 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You should invest in a spin bike! You'll get your intense cardio and he will get his bike. Spin is great for interval training which will help burn fat! Doing standing intervals will also give you a great ab workout!
  • Chris_2013
    Chris_2013 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Love my Precor elliptical but it was damn expensive. Used to have the Schwinn Air Dyne and its a great bike that does also work out your upper body.
  • DonaGail
    DonaGail Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I just gave my stationary bike away, it bothered me..it never worked right from the day I got it even after I payed Sears a big chunk to come fix it.
    I had a knee problem and in therapy they had me ride a recumbent bike..it was a world different! So easy on the knees and back. Im no longer a fan of the regular statioary kind.
    I know that I would never stick with the elliptical!
    Good luck in whatever you decide!
  • OspreyVista
    OspreyVista Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Actually, you can get bikes that have the arm handles that you can move too. :) Maybe that will be a fantastic idea for you, since you want the elliptical and he wants the bike. If you get the bike with the handles attached, you both win!

And if you search google for cheap or look at Amazon, they have some decent ones. There are usually reviews on them too which you could read. :)
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    So many thoughts on this.

I have the same body shape and a long, long way to go. I'm just starting to get back into exercising. Up until the last few weeks, my primary exercise has been walking plus 2 yoga classes per week for the last 5 years. In the 80's, every gym had a rowing machine because it was thought to be a full body workout. So, I started using a rowing machine. In the 90's and early 2000's, I would spend 3-4 hours per week on an elliptical machine. NONE of these exercises gave me any kind of real ab workout.

I've been reading all the praises of "lifting heavy" for some time now. Having NO IDEA where to begin, I started reading old threads on MFP and looking at youtube videos for a starting point. A few weeks ago, I started using 5lb weights. I started to feel my core muscles engaging. Imagine that! Last week I started using 8lb and 10lb kettlebells. I could feel my core engage immediately. I'm still a doughball on toothpicks but I'm starting to see some progress. I am a complete newbie but I'm starting to see the benefits of using weights. Keep in mind that you can't spot reduce. But, you can focus on strengthening certain muscles. I may just need to embrace my apple shape but this apple will have a strong core! (BTW, be very careful with kettlebells if you decide to try them-you could really hurt yourself with a poor form or a weight that's too heavy)
  • jordanlell
    jordanlell Posts: 340 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this as well. Stationary bike and elliptical are both cardio machines, so while they'll get your heart pumping, they won't really "tone" much of anything. I suggest adding some strength training, but even that won't make fat in any particular area just disappear. You just have to keep at it with a moderate deficit and eventually your whole body will slim down. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • strawberrytoast
    strawberrytoast Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Make sure you tell him a stationary plain bike is SORE on your *kitten*! (or his jiggly bits) my bum bones are sore for ages after like 10 minutes-and yes the seat is padded ect lol
  • lisaweberboyd
    Options
    My 2 cents:

From my research you must maintain a heart rate specific to your age when doing your work out for at least 12 minutes at a time. Then slow the pace down and then pick it back up and maintain it for another 12 minutes at the calorie burning heart rate, repeat. I am just starting my elliptical exercise regiment today and wanted to make sure I did my research before starting. CVS has heart rate monitors you wear on your wrist for about ten bucks to help in keeping your heart rate up at the calorie burning rate. Hope this info helps......
  • rennie10
    rennie10 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just bought a "dual stationary bike and elliptical" (so enjoying it). That would be a great option (best of both worlds).
  • kcmcd
    kcmcd Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I love spin, but I go to classes. I'm certain I wouldn't work as hard on my own. Maybe with a pod cast.

And yes your legs are engaged for the majority of the time, but your body loses fat however it wants. Spin took about 5" off my hips in the first six weeks, and did not a single thing for the size of my thighs. lol