Healthy Habits

Options
When I make grand, sweeping declarations (no more sugar—ever!) that are pretty challenging, it’s hard for me to stick with it. But when I make smaller changes, it’s easier to maintain them.

I have quite a few under my smaller belt now, including:
Always having a protein bar handy
Preparing healthy snacks
Drinking 8+ glasses of water before I have a caffeine free, diet soda
Eating breakfast

What small healthy habits have you created AND stuck to? I want to up my healthy game.

Replies

• thegirlinbldg8
    thegirlinbldg8 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A few years ago I stop adding salt to my meals. I'm not saying no salt. If something already has salt or a recipe calls for it that's fine. I just don't add any more at the table.
    Also another thing is no drinks (only water and plain teas) of any kind at home. Only when i'm out and then I recently changed it to only out with friends and family.
    I like you're protein bar idea. I need to start doing that.
  • EuphonyChloeH
    EuphonyChloeH Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Breakfast within first half hour of waking up
    Eating every three hours
    Staying away from snack foods and sweets
    Strength training as well as cardiovascular
    SELF AWARENESS!
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    When I make grand, sweeping declarations (no more sugar—ever!) that are pretty challenging, it’s hard for me to stick with it. But when I make smaller changes, it’s easier to maintain them.

Preparing healthy snacks
    Eating breakfast

What small healthy habits have you created AND stuck to? I want to up my healthy game.

-No sweets
    -No caffeine
    -No soda
    -No pasta
    -Cut way back on processed foods like pretzels, popcorn chips, popcorn, etc.
    -Eat about 90% gluten free
    -Protein with every meal
    -15-20 cups water a day
    -Went from eating 200-250 g to 90-130 net carbs a day
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    A lot of my healthy habits are still in progress - but progress is still good! :bigsmile:

I cut down (and have nearly stopped) drinking soda (regular and diet) - stopping is my goal but i have cut WAY down....replacing my diet soda with flavored seltzer

I will add salt to a recipe but not to my actual meal

I carry raw veggies to work, so that if i need a snack that is what i have to snack on, and i also carry protein bars, and keep raw almonds so if i need something with more protein i am not tempted by the company cafe
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

Preparing healthy snacks
    Eating breakfast

-No sweets
    -No caffeine
    -No soda
    -No pasta
    -Cut way back on processed foods like pretzels, popcorn chips, popcorn, etc.
    -Eat about 90% gluten free
    -Protein with every meal
    -15-20 cups water a day
    -Went from eating 200-250 g to 90-130 net carbs a day

These don't sound like the small, healthy habits the OP was asking for. Those sound like the grand, sweeping ones she said didn't work for her. If these are your small changes, I'd be curious to know what your big ones are.

Small one from me: I carry my trash bag to the end of the driveway (1/6th of a mile) each time I fill a bag instead of driving them down.
  • Mbierschbach
    Mbierschbach Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    A small thing I have started doing is using the stairs instead of an elevator for anything less than 5 floors. That includes work, hotels, parking garages, etc. Sure I really knuckled down in the gym and the kitchen, but you asked about small differences. I figured, you count all your calories, kill it in the gym, then you're gonna take the elevator up two floors to your office? Don't be lazy!
  • kerinb612
    kerinb612 Posts: 10
    Options
    I started doing exercises while cooking or watching tv. So I'll do jumping jacks, lunges, ropeless jumpropes, squats and pushups or burpees Its amazing how you can squeeze in extra exercise moments when normally you'd just be standing in front of the stove!

Whenever I want an unhealthy snack (usually chocolate:) Ill go on myfitnesspal or read a fitness magazine instead and then if i still want the chocolate after that then I'll have it. Usually I don't still want it!

I also have never had much luck with the grand gestures (ill never eat chocolate again! ...yea right) but the smaller changes and decisions are much much better and I think are more realistic for maintaining for the rest of our lives. I can't live with cutting anything out of my life, but I can definitely live with having it less often and in smaller amounts!
  • Aprilfoolbride
    Aprilfoolbride Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Thank you—there are some really good small suggestions here. Nothing Earth-shattering, but I know the things I do every day are way more important than the things I do occasionally (or mean to do).

I also don’t add salt to my plate, just in cooking (and often I halve the amount called for).

What’s the benefit of eating breakfast so early?

I drink very little caffeine-free diet soda (maybe 5-6 per week) but have given up on the idea of giving it up totally. I’ve already given up drinking, smoking, caffeine, and I avoid most processed sugars—I’m done giving things up :)

I also keep raw veggies and single-serve cheese in the fridge at work, this week alone there were: FIVE cakes (!), cupcakes, muffins, chocolate covered strawberries, chips and salsa, cookies, and more.

Things like walking down the driveway are a good idea. I could park in the far lot when I take my toddler to daycare so we’d have a lot farther to walk. And a lot farther to hold hands. Win-win.

I work on a high floor so rarely take the stairs up but have started taking them down.

I used to subscribe to fitness mags but have lapsed, that sounds like a good motivator.

Thanks again!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I have increased vegetables at every meal including breakfast.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I could not agree with you more, OP! Trying to cut out sweets or foods in general that I really love did NOT work for me at all!

Planning and prepping in advance everything I eat is #1 on my list and in turn creates other habits, like monitoring portion size and choosing a variety of healthy foods, based on what is healthy, seasonable, and therefore usually less expensive.

I make a grocery list on my phone to take with me to the grocery store, which absolutely helps me to not overbuy things I don't need- and also not overspend.

Usually on Sundays, I spend a few hours cooking breakfast, lunch, snacks (and sometimes dinner) for the week ahead. I chop and portion out my snacks (usually things like fruit and Greek yogurt). And that way all I have to do is grab and go. I cannot tell you how immensely this has helped me not only in terms of nutrition and health but also financially.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    That's awesome OP!!

We are creatures of habit. It's really hard to change our habits at all, but almost impossible to change big ones. The best way to make a "lifestyle change" is to work on making small changes that will add up over time.

A really great book on human nature and habits is "The power of habit" by Charles Duhigg.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Great thread! This is what I aim for:
    Five complete meals a day
    Eat a wide variety of foods
    Five-a-day (usually more)
    Vegetables at every meal
    A small amount of nuts every day
    Smaller amount of the real deal instead of low/no fat
    Portion control, for instance, I know how much starch I need for each meal
    8 glasses of water every day, but adjusted to weather and activity level
    Never eat anything I don't like
    Eat fish as often as possible
    Eat healthy at home, special treats are reserved for special occations
    When eating out, prioritize meat and vegetables, then fill up on starch and just enough condiments for taste
    Exercise every day. Doesn't have to be more strenuous than a walk or some pushups.
    Don't "save up" for errands - take more trips to the shop. Don't be lazy
    Don't keep large amounts of trigger foods at home. Buy more sensible portion sizes instead, and not everything, all the time.
    Plan grocery shopping and follow plan. Never shop hungry.
    Cook most of your own meals yourself. Eat mostly perishable food.
    Learn to recognize feelings of satiety and hunger, and respect them.
    Bring lunch/snack whenever feasible.
    Plan for time enough to walk instead of driving whenever possible.
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    This may be silly, I dance in the kitchen while I prepare meals. You just must be careful when you have a knife in your hand. :smile:
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    This may be silly, I dance in the kitchen while I prepare meals. You just must be careful when you have a knife in your hand. :smile:

:laugh: I thought I was the only one. My kids (teenagers) think I am crazy.
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Great thread!!
    I park at the farthest end of the parking lot, even when it's minus 20 degrees (I live in Minnesota) and even when it's 95 and humid
    I take the stairs if it's fewer than 4 floors
    I do "something" active during my lunch break - a walk, lifting weights - whatever I can fit in, no matter the weather
    I have a 48-ounce water bottle that I take to work, and I have to finish 48 ounces before I can leave at the end of the day
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    1) Take stairs when 5 floors or less,
    2) Exercise everyday even if only a walk or some at home exercises,
    3) Meet my fiber intake everyday to help stay regular
    4) Saving up calories for the evening makes me feel less anxious about meeting my calorie goal for the day as I have a cushion,
    5) I remember that every 350 calories is .1lbs. What's more important? Eating that ice cream cone and gaining that? Or going for a 5K run and losing that?
    6) Never, EVER take moving walkways or trams at the airport (flight attendant, I'm at them ALL the time), and move more in general.