*You've earned #### extra calories from exercise today

Options
I was curious today so far I saw that I got a message on myfitnesspal under the Totals, Your Daily Goal, and Remaining saying " *You've earned 1,001 extra calories from exercise today" and it added 1001 calories to my "Your Daily Goal" how do i disable that? When i see that i think "Oh i can eat more and I don't want to do that. LOL can someone help me please. thanks

Replies

• JoeCampbell85
    Options
    I'm not sure buy what in the world did you do to burn 1000 calories? Run a half-marathon?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I was curious today so far I saw that I got a message on myfitnesspal under the Totals, Your Daily Goal, and Remaining saying " *You've earned 1,001 extra calories from exercise today" and it added 1001 calories to my "Your Daily Goal" how do i disable that? When i see that i think "Oh i can eat more and I don't want to do that. LOL can someone help me please. thanks

The way MFP is designed, you are supposed to eat those back. Granted, 1000 is a bunch and probably not accurate, but you should be eating around 1/2 of them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,871 Member
    Options
    1 - you can't disable it....it's the way this tool is designed

2 - if you're using this tool as designed you're supposed to eat back exercise calories (adjusted for estimation error) because your calorie goal already includes your weight loss deficit WITHOUT any exercise whatsoever...meaning if you ate to your calorie goal and did no exercise you would lose weight.

3 - I'm about 99% sure your calorie burn estimation is inflated...probably by a lot. I have to knock out around 30 miles on my bike at a good clip of 15 - 16 MPH to get that kind of burn. Take data base and other calorie calculator burn estimates with a grain of salt. Realize that it is really difficult to burn more than about 10 calories per minute above and beyond your basal calories...and that would be a level of effort that would leave you pretty much incapable of holding a conversation or doing anything other than rocking whatever exercise you are doing. If you are using database numbers, pretty much cut those in 1/2....
  • kateowp
    kateowp Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As far as I know, if you add exercise calories to your diary MFP will add the to your daily goals. You could log your exercise and set the calorie burn as 0.
  • ThomasSoerensen
    ThomasSoerensen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just see it as a weight loss boost. If you don't want to eat right up to the calorie allowance MFP calculates , then don't. As long as you feel fine then eat according to your "resting calorie allowance" even if you work out. Then you just know you have a bit of a buffer in case you do feel like eating extra after exercise one day.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I just worked out my calorie needs through a website which includes how much I need with the exercise I do per week, so I never have think about eating back my calories