I don't see much scale changes -_-

Options
I know it takes time, but doing 1200 calories and increased my daily activity as recommended. My weight is actually going UP and down, not only down. It's only been 3 weeks, so not that worried, but wondering when I really expect it to jump start? Should I measure too? Although I am kicking myself from not doing it at the beginning. Looking forward to feeling better.

Replies

• quarkenstein
    quarkenstein Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Can you open your food diary?
  • Emap7
    Emap7 Posts: 6
    Options
    How do I do that?
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
  • Emap7
    Options
    Done, it's a bit on the embarrassing side regarding food choices. I am struggling with habit changes.
  • buzybev
    buzybev Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Done, it's a bit on the embarrassing side regarding food choices. I am struggling with habit changes.

Make sure you are logging accurately and measuring/weighing all of your foods. And don't be ashamed, it comes down to moderation. I'm sure people would wonder how I've even lost any weight considering the way my food diary looks ( had pizza, haagen dazs, and macaroons yesterday, but it fit within my calorie goal and macros)
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    I know it takes time, but doing 1200 calories and increased my daily activity as recommended. My weight is actually going UP and down, not only down. It's only been 3 weeks, so not that worried, but wondering when I really expect it to jump start? Should I measure too? Although I am kicking myself from not doing it at the beginning. Looking forward to feeling better.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=sexypants

^^^ This, is an excellent link
    Best of Luck!
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think the first thing you need to do is accurately log your food intake:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
    and
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide

This is also good, and should be required reading:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Yes, you could make better food choices, but first I would worry about accurately capturing everything that you eat. Put it this way: you can say you are on a 1200 calorie diet, but your body actually KNOWS how many calories you are getting :)

Once you have a good handle on tracking what you eat (seriously, eat whatever, just track it), THEN start worrying about your calorie deficit, macros, etc.

Good luck!
  • Emap7
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful links. I do try to be as accurate as possible. It will be one heck of a learning/adjusting curve.
  • katey1240
    katey1240 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Okay, without looking at your diary, YOU are your best critic. What does it look like? You look young, so I'm not going to suggest that age affects your metabolism. The types of food you choose DO make a difference. I just make a post this morning on my page to my "friends" that I used to think that a calorie, is a calorie, is a calorie. My body wouldn't know the difference between the sugar from a peach and the sugar from a Snickers if they were calorically equivalent. But NOT TRUE! You're body is much, much more efficient at using certain types of calories and storing others. Also, for me (and I 'm sure for you) WEIGHT TRAINING is HUGE in making the numbers of the scale go down. Increase your muscle mass! Muscle is more metabolically active than fat, so you burn more energy even when not working out. Drink, drink, drink lots of water too! And its not because "it fills you up" or "carries away your fat". The kidneys process the fluids in your body. The liver metabolizes the fat to use as energy. When the kidneys don't get enough fluid, the liver has to stop what it's doing to help the kidneys find fluid. Which means....yes...fat burning comes to a screeching halt. Be vigilant with your quality of food, your activity (mix-it-up and CHALLENGE yourself), and drinks 8-10 glasses of water a day. I guarantee you will start to see the numbers change. :o)
  • codycsweet
    codycsweet Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Baby steps. Check out all those wonderful links. I eat whatever I want just making t fit into my allotment and mostly my macros. Preplan your meals and prelogging helped me. Take pictures and measurements and be patient this really is a Journey and it takes time.
  • Emap7
    Options
    Thanks for the "looking young" but around 40 IS young. I am glad that I am on the right track, but logistical issues such as twin toddlers and no room for weight training equipment other than bells make it a challenge. I do run/walk daily considering my slug like existence when I was pregnant with twins, it's a huge change for me.
  • katey1240
    katey1240 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you have a set of bells, then a pair (or one) of exercise resistance bands is all you need. Lunges are great for the glutes, hams, and quads and you can do these with or without the bells. Jump squats are also great, and can be done without any equipment. The entire upper body, including abs, can be done with no gym equipment except for a couple of resistance bands. And you can make the exercise as hard or as easy as you like. Google the internet and see if you can find a site that helps with "strength training without weights". I'm sure there are oodles. Good luck. Sounds like you have your hands full with twins. Awesome!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuations are perfectly normal and mostly due to water weight. So one day you might be down 1/2 a pound and the next day you mgiht be up a pound. It doesn't mean you actually gained a opund, it just means you're retaining water for some reason - excess sodium, had a good workout, part of monthly hormone cycle, etc. As long as the overall trend is down, you're doing just fine.

success-reality.jpg