If its just CICO, why "clean" food and no white carbs?

Options

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    NOT trying to start a fight. Please don't.

ff3lu.gif
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I'm just replying because I see this come up a lot, and I'm going to point to my ticker.

6 months, approximately 1.92lbs per week (very healthy). I do not eat clean. I make healthy choices when I can, but there is occasional pasta and white bread and processed food. And I've been fine.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Ill bite

is it CICO: Yes, absolutely. If you eat less and move more you will lose weight.

I eat a "primal" diet, I do it for several reasons but the biggest reason is because I am a type 2 diabetic and I find it easier to control my blood sugar while eating no processed carbs. With that said do I think everyone has to eat like this? No not at all, everyone has to choose what they feel is best for themselves, there is no right way or wrong way to do it; the only thing that you have to do to lose weight is eat your correct calories.

Just my .02
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    NOT trying to start a fight. Please don't. I honestly just don't know the answer - I'm new to a lot of this.

I am doing CICO. However, i'm a little confused why were told to eat "clean" foods and no white rice, white bread etc and use whole grain if it's just CICO.

If it's just CICO, shouldn't it not matter whether its from a bowl of white rice topped with a white potato, and garnished with white bread as long as youre in a caloric deficit?
    Depends on WHO you're hearing it from. I wouldn't tell you to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I love all the soft white foods but why they are often said to be something to avoid is that they are more likely to be packed with simple carbohydrates that are processed very rapidly by the body and can cause excessive insulin spikes.

The browner versions (e.g. brown rice, whole grain bread) include more complex carbohydrates and fiber and are digested more slowly and are less likely to cause the same insulin spikes.

As more research is being done, more is being learned about the importance of eating whole grains over processed grains with the bran removed and whole fruits and vegetables over juices.

For more information and citations for related articles and research reports see http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/health-gains-from-whole-grains/
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    obviously you are hearing different things because you're hearing them from different sources. It's not like the clean eating people have the same opinions are calories in/calories out people.

Just find what works for you and stick with it
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    In.

Me too...I just love reading these threads to find out what I am doing wrong. You know...like eating the wrong color of food...OR...not cooking my eggs the right way in order to lose weight.

So...I am...IN!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    IN......for insulin fairies and GI index
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    In.

Me too...I just love reading these threads to find out what I am doing wrong. You know...like eating the wrong color of food...OR...not cooking my eggs the right way in order to lose weight.

So...I am...IN!

As long as you're cooking your eggs, that's the right way. I only like raw eggs in cookie dough.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    as long as you don't have condishuns and can handle your sugahs.

For weight loss eat anything you want while maintaining a deficit.

If you want to be/feel healthy eat a balanced diet while maintaining a deficit.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Regardless is you are eating at a deficit, maintaining or even trying to gain you shoudnt eat stuff made in a lab. That is why. Bleached flour is just he tip of the ice berg as far as processed foods go. But yes, you are right. It is CICO pretty much but if its useless foods our bodies take in, then we wont get the much needed nutrients absorbed into our bodies. Most of us got in this boat by eating badly and not sticking to the basics of nutrition and bleached out flours and sugars are just the start of all that. IF you eat it, you wil still get the same amount of calories but you will not get the same type of vitamins and minerals you need. Its your choice.
  • princess71903
    princess71903 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in CICO. I believe it matters what is in the calories. If it didn't then MFP wouldn't track them for you. As Ive said before I take meds that make me totally nauseous and I've never eaten many calories in a day. I ate junk when I did eat and I still got fat cause all I ate was sugar and junk. I ate no more than a few hundred calorie cereal bars or nutrigrain bars a day. I got fat. So its not just about putting in that I'm sedentary and I want to lose a pound a week then just eating those calories. I'm living proof that CICO is not all there is. That is totally simplifying it
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    CICO all the way to lose weight. :)
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in CICO. I believe it matters what is in the calories. If it didn't then MFP wouldn't track them for you. As Ive said before I take meds that make me totally nauseous and I've never eaten many calories in a day. I ate junk when I did eat and I still got fat cause all I ate was sugar and junk. I ate no more than a few hundred calorie cereal bars or nutrigrain bars a day. I got fat. So its not just about putting in that I'm sedentary and I want to lose a pound a week then just eating those calories. I'm living proof that CICO is not all there is. That is totally simplifying it

I'm betting your metabolism is off either due to the meds or the not being able to eat much or a combination of the above. That's why it doesn't seem to work for you. Your body was hoarding everything it got. I hope you can find the balance! :flowerforyou:
  • princess71903
    Options
    Sprycel does not have anything to do with my metabolism. I may not have been able to eat much but I did eat which would put me at a deficit so using your CICO theory I should have lost. I never lost I just gained. So this is why I believe it is the sugar and carbs that packed the pounds on me. I also get blood work every month so I know I don't have any insulin issues and I'm not diabetic
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Sprycel does not have anything to do with my metabolism.

A common side effect of it is weight gain.

No I'm not a doctor, but found that out by just googling Sprycel. It was listed in the perscribing information on Sprycel.com and the side effect section on several different sites.

While it may not be the cause of your weight gain, you can't completely rule it out when it is a side effect of the drug.
    24pw485.jpg
  • princess71903
    Options

No I'm not a doctor, but found that out by just googling Sprycel. It was listed in the perscribing information on Sprycel.com and the side effect section on several different sites.

While it may not be the cause of your weight gain, you can't completely rule it out when it is a side effect of the drug.
    24pw485.jpg

Hellooooo learn how to read. It says "consult doc immediately" cause that means its something seriously wrong with the way you are reacting to it!! I've said before my bloodwork is fine. That's a severe adverse reaction that can occur in your stomach and intestine.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

24pw485.jpg

Hellooooo learn how to read. It says "consult doc immediately" cause that means its something seriously wrong with the way you are reacting to it!! I've said before my bloodwork is fine. That's a severe adverse reaction that can occur in your stomach and intestine.

I can read just fine thank you. This was the only site that said it was serious. In fact the prescribing information said weight gain related to severe water retention. The print was just to small for a decent screen shot.

And I don't see why you attacked me. I was just pointing out that weight gain is a side effect when you claimed it wasn't. Doesn't matter why the pill causes weight gain, you can't just say the pill doesn't cause weight issues when it in fact does. That is just silly. I never said it was the cause of your gain, just that it might play a small part.

Personally, I feel that if a pill could cause severe water retention, that it would be possible for it to cause mild water retention as well.
  • princess71903
    Options
    No my script info lists it as a severe allergic reaction WHICH I WAS WARNED ABOUT. "SUDDEN" is not over the course of a few months. And how many time do I have to say I'm under the care of a doc and dietician/nutritionist. The REAL side effects of this med are at the top which are "nausea" "loss of appetite"
  • princess71903
    Options

24pw485.jpg

I can read just fine thank you. This was the only site that said it was serious. In fact the prescribing information said weight gain related to severe water retention. The print was just to small for a decent screen shot.

•Your body may hold too much fluid (fluid retention):

In severe cases, fluid may build up in the lining of your lungs, the sac around your heart, or your stomach cavity. Call your healthcare provider right away if you get any of these symptoms during treatment with SPRYCEL:

◦swelling all over your body

◦weight gain

◦shortness of breath and cough

DIRECT FROM THE SPRYCEL SITE! IT IS A SEVERE PROBLEM. IF I LET A WEIGHT GAIN FROM THIS GO IT WOULD KILL ME! IF YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE MED OR DISEASE THEN DON'T TRY TO COMMENT ON IT INTELLIGENTLY