Lurker

Options
salto
salto Posts: 30 Member
Good morning! I've been lurking here a couple of weeks and finally decided to introduce myself. I'm a convert from another WL program. I had a lot of success, losing 40 lbs; but they recently changed their program, and I just don't agree with some of their new rules. I was attracted to MFP because I like the ability to track my nutrition details individually (cals, carbs, sugars, fats, etc). I don't believe all calories are created equal, so I like learning to balance where mine are coming from. Specifically, I am trying really hard to limit carbohydrates and sugar.

I have been using this other WL program for over 10 years (on and off) and thought it had taught me everything I needed to know about health and nutrition. But it never taught me a cup of turnips has 10 grams of sugar! That's just one of the many things I've learned in the short time I've been a part of MFP.

I look forward to learning a lot more!

Replies

• heyitsmekatie
    heyitsmekatie Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I wanted to make a comment about the turnips... just as not all calories are created equal, not all sugar is equal. The sugar found in turnips is naturally occurring and is good for you. It's the refined sugars that are added to foods (like sugar in soda, cookies, etc...) that are not so good for you. Anyway, I've been on other sites too and really, really like it here. Everyone is really supportive and encouraging. I think you'll love it here!!
  • salto
    salto Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi Katie! And I completely understand about the sugar in the turnips being better than, say, they sugar in a soda. Just like the oil in regular peanut butter is better for you than the fake carp they put in RF PB. But I was eating these "Free" veggies like they were just that - free. And when you're consuming 40-50 grams of sugar (even the healthy kind) without knowing it, then it becomes bad for you. This is what I don't agree with about plans that promote "free" foods. Take fruit for example. The sugar in fruit is fructose. Fructose is metabolized in your liver. In small quantities, it is metabolized fine. But in large quantities, your liver can't metabolize it all and it is converted to fat - specifically to triglicerides. I'm no expert, but this is my basic understanding of the process. I'm sure it's a lot more complex than that. I have a friend who's on another program, and since he's told that fruit is "free" he sits down and eats a whole meal of it. That just can't be good. Science aside, my instincts tell me it's not good.

Thanks for the warm welcome!