Diet sodas: noticed any difference within your body?

Options
124»

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Also, I am sure this is really silly question - but what does TMJ stand for??
    Temporomandibular joint and muscle disorders (TMJ disorders) are problems or symptoms of the chewing muscles and joints that connect your lower jaw to your skull.

It's why I gave up chewing gum several years ago. I don't miss it at all.

Thanks for answering my question.

OP I cannot see how drinking diet sodas or not drinking them would affect this disorder.

Too much caffeine can make you jittery and clench your jaws, which can exacerbate TMJ. If OP were to slowly switch to decaf diet soda, it would help. Don't switch cold turkey or you will get massive headaches from withdrawal!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Actually, many scientific studies have been done and they do show a correlation between artificial sweeteners and craving sugar. Also, artificial sweetener consumption and weight gain have a correlation. The above link compares many different legitamite studies. For years, I have gained and lost weight and never wanted to believe this was true. In January, I finally stopped with eating artificial sweeteners and it has made an unbelievable difference in my 'sweet tooth'. I still have a lot of weight to loss, but this has made a difference for me.

Also, correlation does NOT equal causation.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I have gone cold turkey from Diet Coke several times, for months at a time. I do tend to eat fewer salty, crunchy snack foods when I'm off it, just because the salty snacks and the sweet soda pair naturally to me. Caffeine withdrawal is a bish for a few days up to a week -- nasty headaches and some moodiness. Then I find myself exhausted and sleep like a rock during the next week or so, and I continue sleeping more over time. Sleeping earlier, better, and longer is the positive effect for me. The negative effect is needing to spend so much time sleeping.

I don't have any interest in quitting it permanently; the temporary quits have been for a variety of reasons, from "sympathy Lent" for a friend to chiropractor's orders during a series of adjustments that required a lot of rest and recovery. And sometimes I just quit for a while if I feel like I've been drinking too much of it. Doesn't seem to be an issue at all as long as I drink at least as much water as Diet Coke during the day.

I don't see how diet soda would affect TMJ. Caffeine making you clench your jaw sounds a little far-fetched to me, but who knows, I can't categorically deny that possibility.

As to weight loss... Diet Coke absolutely, positively helped me lose weight. Because once I decided to lose weight, I stopped buying Diet Coke at the grocery store... I would only allow myself to have one if I walked to the corner store to get it. And then I started walking to stores on corners farther away, and pretty soon I was making a 1- to 3-mile round trip every time I wanted a soda. I packed on the miles each day to get my fix! :bigsmile:
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I have one HUGE problem with diet pop.

The store closest to me is always out of Coke Zero so I am left with regular old Diet Coke. Grinds my gears.

RIGHT?! zero is better than regular diet but I can never find it on the shelf
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

Actually, many scientific studies have been done and they do show a correlation between artificial sweeteners and craving sugar. Also, artificial sweetener consumption and weight gain have a correlation. The above link compares many different legitamite studies. For years, I have gained and lost weight and never wanted to believe this was true. In January, I finally stopped with eating artificial sweeteners and it has made an unbelievable difference in my 'sweet tooth'. I still have a lot of weight to loss, but this has made a difference for me.

Also, correlation does NOT equal causation.

preach. also, even if it were 100% true that artificial sweeteners make you crave sugar, it's not the artificial sweetener that makes you gain weight. it's your inability to say no to your real sugar cravings. Thus, diet soda does not make a person fat....the excess of other things they choose to put in their mouths does.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i quit fake sugar because it messes with my digestion. the excess gas in diet sodas made me always grouchy and uncomfortable.

last time i dieted i used it as a crutch to appease my huge sweet tooth

this time i dont, and just have occasional sweets.

it works better to avoid them, for me. when i had that sweet thing every day all day i never got over my desire to always have sweet things.

personally i was more successful this time, NOT appeasing or tricking my sweet tooth, and letting my body get over that addiction to sugar. after a while... honestly i dont want sugar very much. it is easier for me, a recovering sugar addict, to say no to a piece or chocolate cake or a cookie than it ever has been. i often just dont want them. that was never the case when i was on diet sodas...

i do like iced fruity teas, home brewed with no sugar.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Yeah I went through my little diet coke phase, I used to drink like 2 cans per meal. Dizzy spells would hit me really hard and pretty often, that's the big reason I stopped drinking it regularly and now save it as a treat. I also notice I got headaches more often and my cravings were through the roof. Honestly though I think my problems sprouted more from how much I was drinking it than the actual drink itself.
  • Iluvmyfurbabies
    Iluvmyfurbabies Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've actually been doing some research and there is a weird link... But actually I have more bruxisim then tmj?.which is basically clenching and grinding. I only stuck with the one diet coke and I actually did notice that I was clenching less today.
    It may very well be the cut back on caffeine but I don't clench the same way when I drink coffee..that's what made me google diet sodas and bruxisim/tmj in the first place to see if there was some sort of connection.
    I did find some stuff on google but not enough so I thought I'd ask her... I started a drinking journal today to see what I can find :wink:
    I also have a lot of joint pain... Hardly any of that today. I may be on to something.. If not for others for myself :) time will tell!
  • bloodofareptile
    bloodofareptile Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I drink Pepsi Max (the UK kind, the US kind is terrible in comparison!) and I quit for an entire year as an experiment. I found 0 difference in my life at all.
  • RainbowCoconut
    RainbowCoconut Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    A few years ago when Coca Cola Zero was introducer, everybody were suddenly drinking that. I never liked the original diet version but Zero tastes fine to me. Soon after starting to drink diet coke instead of the normal sugar containing stuff (or water) just because everybody started serving it, I started getting heart palpitations. It got really bad, so much so that I had trouble sleeping. I didn't know the reason but cut coffee out of my diet to see if it would help. It didn't really. Then I cut Coca Cola in any form since it also contains caffeine.

The result; my heart rate returned to normal within a few weeks and I felt as fine as ever. I still didn't trust the link to artificial sweeteners, maybe it was the caffeine, I thought, until after I unknowingly drank some yoghurt that contained sweetener. I thought it was just normal sugar sweetened yoghurt. Shortly (like 15 minutes) after I got really bad heart palpitations and felt so strange. I read the content - and there it was, aspartame!

I don't think all people get symptoms or problems from artificial sweeteners. I can only say that my body doesn't respond well AT ALL. Apart from my heart rate reacting I also started getting bad migraines from aspartame. So I just totally stay away from it now - I guess it's easy when it makes you feel sick :) - and I rather drink a bit of sugar containing soft drink once in a while. By the way I can drink coffee with no problems at all now. So it is the sweetener and not caffeine that gives me all the trouble.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    It is very interesting how certain foods can affect different people in different ways. I have a friend who had debilitating migraines that were pretty much stopped after he cut out gluten and aspartame. He tried each one separately to make sure it was both that caused the migraines.

I don't seem to have a problem with aspartame, but most of the sugar subs I use, are Stevia and Splenda. Processed sugars and grains, especially wheat, contribute to inflammation and pain in my body, (arthritis and other AI conditions in my spine and joints), so I know I have to limit those. I might try cutting out aspartame altogether just to see if it makes a difference.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    You are probably mostly feeling the effects of excessive caffeine intake (increased jaw clenching at night). The caffeine is probably what you are addicted to (aren't we all?) and is what is making it hard for you to quit soda.