Diet sodas: noticed any difference within your body?

Options
I drink diet soda.. Every day. I spend 3-6 bucks on average buying soda from a drive through and drink what I have at home. I really want to quit but I'm having a hard time. *I have absolutely no will power and an extreme addictive personality* but eventually it will sink in.

Anyhoo, you hear the stories about it being bad for you and yaddah yaddah but can you please share your experiences with quitting? Besides feeling less bloated has it changed the way you feel at all?

I think it's contributing to my TMJ, has anyone noticed anything like that?
Thanks

Replies

• jenn3365
    jenn3365 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I was really addicted to Coca Cola. Would crave it spend my last dollar on it. Finally said enough. I slowly weaned myself. Maybe just drink two a day then one. Slowly you will be able to get away from it. I never had regular menstrual cycles while drinking soda. Also have insulin resistance more likely due to the amount of soda I use to drink.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke everyday...doesn't bother me at all.

as for stopping eh if I choose not to drink it nothing changes...as for contributing to your TMJ doubtful.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I drink it. I don't have any problems. I only drink one a day though. I also drink coffee.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I used to drink about 5-6 cans of diet coke a day :) It was the first thing I changed about my eating habits and I dropped about 23lbs just from that (however I was quite large at the time). I also noticed I did not feel so sluggish but that could have been the drop in weight who knows :) I say if you think its affecting your body try to cut back or stop and see if you notice a difference. I am sure it affects everyone differently :)
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Morning, I drink "one large" fountain diet soda a day. It's my go to. I had stopped for a full year during my weight loss journey. I"m currently trying to lose those last 10 pounds. For me the soda has no affect on my weight or how I feel. I"m not addicted because I don't drink it on the weekends. Keep in mind everything effects people differently!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    I used to drink about 5-6 cans of diet coke a day :) It was the first thing I changed about my eating habits and I dropped about 23lbs just from that (however I was quite large at the time). I also noticed I did not feel so sluggish but that could have been the drop in weight who knows :) I say if you think its affecting your body try to cut back or stop and see if you notice a difference. I am sure it affects everyone differently :)

I'm sorry but you didn't drop 23lbs just by ditching the diet coke, as diet coke has no calories it would not have affected your weight.
  • amarie878
    amarie878 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It actually could have. Studies have shown that artificial sweetners in diet sodas cause other sweet cravings. There's sodium in those sodas, causing bloat. I absolutely believe that in a larger person, ditching diet soda can make a dent in their weight loss journey, simply because it affects energy and taste.
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I drink diet sometimes.... but I drink a lot of the carbonated flavored water from Wal-Mart.

I get a little bloated from the carbonation in pop & water, but it doesn't cause weight loss / gain by any means. Sure, if you drink a ton you will have gained a lb or two if you weight yourself, but that's just water weight in your stomach.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    It actually could have. Studies have shown that artificial sweetners in diet sodas cause other sweet cravings. There's sodium in those sodas, causing bloat. I absolutely believe that in a larger person, ditching diet soda can make a dent in their weight loss journey, simply because it affects energy and taste.

That is not the same as claiming to have lost 23lbs just from dropping diet drinks.

23lbs of bloat?

I'm sure she lost the weight (and congrats on that) - but she would have eaten less, not just ditched the diet drink.

Also, there are no actuall studies that show artificial sweeteners in diet sodas cause other sweet cravings - feel free to post one if you find it - but it needs to be a study. not a blog or article etc.
  • martyqueen52
    Options

Energy / Taste has nothing to do with a caloric deficit which is what matter for true weight loss, despite what you "think".

No scientific proof exists. I use Splenda nonstop and have looked for the same silly bull**** you're spewing, and it's yet to be found.

Bloat is just air or water, nothing more, nothing less.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Diet soda - you drink it, you pee it out later. Inconsequential to weight loss/gain.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Y a DOnt drink diet soda
    with that fake s ugar

um y a you get headaches

drink water with lemon wedges
    or anything with no fake sugar

the dr. will tell you that fake sugar is worse than real sugar
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    If you want to quit
    then just quit
    you will have a headache for a few days
    and it will be done
    replace the fake sugar pop
    with something better
    the lemon water
    or anything without fake sugar
    good luck

they also say that drinking diet coke leads to weight gain so
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Y a DOnt drink diet soda
    with that fake s ugar

um y a you get headaches

Sorry what?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    If you want to quit
    then just quit
    and it will be done
    with something better
    the lemon water
    good luck

A zero calorie drink leads to weight gain, No. :noway:

Also who are these "they" as "they" are so often wrong.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    If you want to quit
    then just quit
    and it will be done
    with something better
    the lemon water
    good luck

Oh my! Aren't we erudite.
  • martyqueen52
    Options
    Y a DOnt drink diet soda
    with that fake s ugar

um y a you get headaches

Not.... sure....

If I should send a dictionary or what.
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but you didn't drop 23lbs just by ditching the diet coke, as diet coke has no calories it would not have affected your weight.
    You could absolutely be right. That was the only thing I knowningly changed at that time :) however, I am sure elminating the diet soda helped curb my apetitie gave me more energy to move more etc. Which all could have lead to this. :)
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I have one HUGE problem with diet pop.

The store closest to me is always out of Coke Zero so I am left with regular old Diet Coke. Grinds my gears.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

You could absolutely be right. That was the only thing I knowningly changed at that time :) however, I am sure elminating the diet soda helped curb my apetitie gave me more energy to move more etc. Which all could have lead to this. :)

That I agree with - congrats on the weightloss :drinker: <not diet coke :wink: