Embarrassed to go back to the gym...

Options
2»

Replies

• Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I need a little encouragement...

I got a gym membership in April through my work (my company paid for the year up front, then deducts about $15 from each paycheck). I was really excited about this, and started going to the gym right away. Of course, my first visit I got cornered by one of the personal trainers and let him talk me into signing up for personal training (2 sessions per week). I am such a pushover!! It is a one year contract, and is charged biweekly. I started doing the personal training sessions, trying out a few different trainers. I lasted a little over a month (with no significant weight loss, but my eating habits weren't great at the time). One nice thing about the personal training sessions is that they "roll over," so just because I didn't schedule a session doesn't mean I lost it, they are just added to my account.

I haven't been to the gym since May, and I have racked up 71 (SEVENTY-ONE!!!!!) personal training sessions. I am so embarrassed that I haven't been to the gym in almost 8 months, and it's keeping me from wanting to go back. I just don't know what to say/how to explain my absence to a trainer when I go back. That, and I have gained 23lbs since then (I kept the personal training workout journal they gave me, so I have all of my stats from when I first joined).

On the plus side, I have enough personal training sessions saved up that I could work with a trainer every day of the week if I wanted to, but right now I am doing no activity at all, so I would like to just get into a routine of actually showing up a couple times a week.

What should I say when I go back? How do I express to a trainer that, at least for now, I just need a simple, easy workout that will keep me coming back until I get comfortable/confident enough to push myself?

Oh you are so lucky to have 71 PT sessions! I'd love to have them. Go to the gym; your body will thank you :smile:
  • donnymom
    donnymom Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I agree. You are so fortunate to have gym membership and all those training sessions! You paid for it.....Don't waste it. The trainer is there to help you, not judge you. It should make them feel good to see you succeed....otherwise they aren't good.
  • Naturalhiker
    Options
    I agree. You are so fortunate to have gym membership and all those training sessions! You paid for it.....Don't waste it. The trainer is there to help you, not judge you. It should make them feel good to see you succeed....otherwise they aren't good.

Agreed with above
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    1. This happens all the time, so don't feel like you are the only one to ever disappear on them.

2. You are paying. You are a customer. You deserve what you pay for. Don't let guilt/fitness morality/didn't meet my goal distract you from achieving the goal. If you went to a store to buy jeans and a top, got in the car and realized your top wasn't in the bag, you would go back and ask for it. You are the driver here. Be brave and bold: Hey, yeah, I fell off the wagon last year. Getting back on and need you guys to help me out.

3. It's not how many times we fall down but how many we stand back up that counts. Stand back up. I'm a super exerciser sometimes, and then I fail for a week or two. I figure that as long as I keep going back to it, I'm succeeding.

this.

I knew someone with over 100 sessions- they didn't avoid going- but they were busy AND their son had sessions built up that he didn't use.

It happens.

A lot.

You walked on the treadmill- you went to the gym- totally find. You got through the door -and that is the hardest part. just later rinse repeat!!!
  • Voldoll79
    Options
    Going to the gym has changed my life. I had a trainer to begin with and she made all the difference. I learned how to use the equipment, how to do the exercises properly, and how to enjoy what I was doing. Go ahead and get started again it will be well worth your time and effort. And don't worry what the staff thinks they're there to work for you and do what you need. Good luck and have fun!
  • metalesq
    metalesq Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm replying to this thread because all of your answers are motivating me to get over this embarrassed feeling and get back to my trainer. I need to read this again on Monday so I can regain the courage I'm feeling now.

Similar issue as OP--I fell off the gym bandwagon about 6 months ago and have been too ashamed to get back. I gained about 8lbs and there's some ridiculous part of me that fears being judged by my trainer and sparring buddies. I love them and the workouts so the embarrassment (and fear of not being able to keep up anymore) has really been stressing me out.

I know I'll lose more weight once I get back to it, and it's foolish to avoid going until I do (actual thought of mine!)...anyway, kudos all for the great advice in this thread. Wish me luck.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options

i don't think falling out of the loop is a federal crime. it's just a fact of most people's shifting lifestyles, whether they have personal trainers to 'see' them go through a fallow patch or not. the only difference between you and me is nobody sees me riding/not riding my bike, or going/not going to the gym.

it seems to me that any seasoned, professional trainer should understand that automatically. 'justification' shouldn't be needed at all. if someone makes you feel like it is, then i'd put it down as the trainer's lack of people skills and go looking for someone else.
    What should I say when I go back? How do I express to a trainer that, at least for now, I just need a simple, easy workout that will keep me coming back until I get comfortable/confident enough to push myself?

tell them exactly that. if they don't seem to get it, or don't seem to be interested, pull your i'm-the-customer-and-i-paid-for-this card and tell them they're not quite what you're looking for.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i used to be embarrast about gym things until i realized

nobody is watching me
    nobody cares
    the staff has seen so many people come and go i am sure it means little to them.

i dont think there is much in the world people quit as much as people quit going to the gym

if anything you should be proud to go back and say you are really ready now. you werent ready before. they know how hard it is to be ready because they see people quit so much...

transfer your sessions to my gym i will take them off your hands.
  • teranga79
    teranga79 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I hadn't been to the gym for so long they'd knocked it down and built a new one in my absence. On my first trip back (a few weeks ago) I couldn't work out how the complicated turnstile thing worked and had a big queue build up behind me, a small child took pity on me and showed me how to get in. I've also fallen off a treadmill before now. Hey... they've seen it all before! :)
  • splashtree2
    splashtree2 Posts: 277
    Options

I got a gym membership in April through my work (my company paid for the year up front, then deducts about $15 from each paycheck). I was really excited about this, and started going to the gym right away. Of course, my first visit I got cornered by one of the personal trainers and let him talk me into signing up for personal training (2 sessions per week). I am such a pushover!! It is a one year contract, and is charged biweekly. I started doing the personal training sessions, trying out a few different trainers. I lasted a little over a month (with no significant weight loss, but my eating habits weren't great at the time). One nice thing about the personal training sessions is that they "roll over," so just because I didn't schedule a session doesn't mean I lost it, they are just added to my account.

I haven't been to the gym since May, and I have racked up 71 (SEVENTY-ONE!!!!!) personal training sessions. I am so embarrassed that I haven't been to the gym in almost 8 months, and it's keeping me from wanting to go back. I just don't know what to say/how to explain my absence to a trainer when I go back. That, and I have gained 23lbs since then (I kept the personal training workout journal they gave me, so I have all of my stats from when I first joined).

On the plus side, I have enough personal training sessions saved up that I could work with a trainer every day of the week if I wanted to, but right now I am doing no activity at all, so I would like to just get into a routine of actually showing up a couple times a week.

don't go back, take an excuse you ain't gotten time and change gym or say just sorry....
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    I hadn't been to the gym for so long they'd knocked it down and built a new one in my absence. On my first trip back (a few weeks ago) I couldn't work out how the complicated turnstile thing worked and had a big queue build up behind me, a small child took pity on me and showed me how to get in. I've also fallen off a treadmill before now. Hey... they've seen it all before! :)

i almost fell off just today! i was walking sideways... people snickered because it was quite amusing.
  • Oi_Sunshine
    Oi_Sunshine Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    They already know you've been gone for 8 months. How much longer are you going to make them wait? ????
  • thyella
    thyella Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You need to remember that the personal trainer is working for you. It is their job to provide you with an appropriate workout and in a totally comfortable (mentally) way. I have a son who is a personal trainer and he sees his work as helping people, he wants to design a program that works for someone and he enjoys the challenge of adjusting workouts so his clients lose weight and get healthy. Yes you should be able to have a personal trainer once or twice a week for however long you have sessions. If you have a trainer who gives you attitude then dump them just like you would any employee who isn't doing their job. Get back in there and don't let anything or anyone stand in your way. Good luck.