HIGH fat, HIGH protein, VERY low carb diet.

Options
2»

Replies

• danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Glad to see this post. I started something similiar in june, but my protein is not high also, its average/ moderate. And my low carb is avg 60 a day[.max 100 on weight lifting days) I do half my weight in grams for protein. My fats @ 65%. I eat nuts, cheese, cook with eevo and butter my veggies. I had to make up the caloric difference of less carbs. Was told not to do it by eating too much protein, could be counter productive. Looking forward to reading responses.

Sounds like a good plan you have mapped out.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    bump for the info
  • Nijelako
    Nijelako Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    bump...great info
  • hovis153
    hovis153 Posts: 6
    Options
    Good afternoon,

I have lost 9 stone, very slowly and steadily, eating very similar to yourself. I have 30lbs to go and have got really stuck this past 8 weeks and I was very desperate as whilst my BMI is 30 and I have surgery up and coming fast and my surgeon is happy with my current BMI, I personnally having got this far would like to get to the end.

I spoke to my very supportive GP and she has suggested I looked at the Harcombe eating plan, which is still low carb, HIGH fat, medium protein but allows for more carbs in the form of brown rice and porridge oats and some more fruit and some lower fat products with carb meals.

The difference is that you seperate out carb meals from fat meals - so I suppose it could be a take on the hay diet with low carbing.

I have seen a move down on the scales. There is sufficient information online, so no need to buy the book at this stage and there is a handy table which is a guide to what foods in either carb meals or fat meals. There is a Phase 1 which lasts 5 days and bit tough but it is only 5 days. Phase 2 lightens up.

The following may help you but there are other sites.

http://theharcombediet.com/assets/downloads/pdfs/fats_and_carbs.pdf

http://www.allaboutyou.com/health/diet/the-harcombe-diet-five-day-eating-plan

My nutritionist, who has been on holiday whilst I was having a panick about this STS, has responded to an email and is also a supporter of low carb has given this her blessing and will continue to support me whilst I persue this.

It may not be for you and your lifestyle, I have a good family and friends and they have seen me through every single ounce lost and what ever I serve myself they also eat. I just add carbs to their meals e.g. pasta, potatoes, couscous, etc, etc. Last night I went out to a restaurant and had plaice with crayfish tails with melted cheese (not a sauce) and a lovely fresh salad on the side, it was one of my fat meals.

The other advantage is that one does not count anything i.e. carbs, fat, protein or calories.

What ever you decide to do or changes you make, allow those changes to bed in rather than change them daily or every few days, thinking it is not going to work, a change needs 3/4 weeks. Do not forget to drink plenty, food needs fluid to help the body digest.
  • reeyonce
    reeyonce Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon,

I have lost 9 stone, very slowly and steadily, eating very similar to yourself. I have 30lbs to go and have got really stuck this past 8 weeks and I was very desperate as whilst my BMI is 30 and I have surgery up and coming fast and my surgeon is happy with my current BMI, I personnally having got this far would like to get to the end.

I spoke to my very supportive GP and she has suggested I looked at the Harcombe eating plan, which is still low carb, HIGH fat, medium protein but allows for more carbs in the form of brown rice and porridge oats and some more fruit and some lower fat products with carb meals.

The difference is that you seperate out carb meals from fat meals - so I suppose it could be a take on the hay diet with low carbing.

I have seen a move down on the scales. There is sufficient information online, so no need to buy the book at this stage and there is a handy table which is a guide to what foods in either carb meals or fat meals. There is a Phase 1 which lasts 5 days and bit tough but it is only 5 days. Phase 2 lightens up.

Hey thanks... I might try this. There's no way I could ever be able to come up with my own strategy using percentages and stuff like that, A. because I'm **** at maths and B. I simply don't understand it. I am very good at sticking to strict plans as long as I have a plan to follow. I'm very comfortable with a minimal carb diet, with my only carbs really coming from fruit/veg/milk, sometimes fruit and SOMETIMES porridge if I feel like it - etc. What I really need I guess is to find someone who can work it out for me using what I typically eat in a day and arrange it so I'm getting the fat & protein I need to be healthy AND lose fat without going over my deficit.
  • sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    If I get hungry in between, which usually doesn't happen, I'll have about 200ml full fat milk, or a 170g pot of total 0% fat greek yoghurt.

This is the only bit that seems off to me...as previously stated, milk has more carbs than cream (which is why I lighten my coffee with HWC, rather than 1/2 & 1/2). Also: why fat-free yoghurt? I eat Cabot's full-fat Greek yoghurt, which is deliciously creamy and very filling (don't know if they have that where you are, but surely something similar could be sought out?).

It sounds like you are doing great! Don't fear the dietary fats: they are your friend when eating Keto!
  • Swest01
    Swest01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good info. Thanks all.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    You may want to open your diary to get more specific advice.

I think you have the problem backwards. You should be more worried about too much protein. Very Low Carb diets work best when you are eating High fat, Moderate protein, and Low carbohydrates. The reason for this has to do with the general strategy of low carb diets: keep your blood sugar low, keep your insulin response down, and your body will be more willing to burn body fat for energy sources. The problem with eating too much protein (and the exact amount is different for everyone based on their level of activity) is that your body can turn protein into glucose (gluconeogenesis). This causes an insulin response, which combats the basic strategy. Gluconeogenesis also occurs to fat (and it definitely occurs to carbs), but it doesn't create as much of an insulin response. The reason protein isn't also low in proportion is because your body requires protein to function and perform activities (if you don't get enough protein, you will lose muscle mass. This is why some people refer to the amount of protein as ENOUGH instead of simply MODERATE). The more active you are, the more protein you need per lean body mass.

Now this isn't to say that you won't achieve weight loss eating high amounts of protein, but there are certain advantages to optimizing your ratios. If you keep your blood sugar and insulin response down long enough, your body will adapt (to a more appropriate and natural diet your body was built for) and go into a state called ketosis. It's possible you are in it right now, but high protein can take you out of it. Ketosis is a state of rapid fat burning and it is linked to several health benefits including (but certainly not limited to) the cure for epilepsy, reduced cancer risk, certain better cholesterol/triglyceride indicators, and more energy. Also, it is a very satisfactory diet even on a calorie deficit.

Here is a calculator to help you figure out better ratios:
    keto-calculator.ankerl.com

You said something about healthy fats, but I want to make sure you know what fats are actually healthy to eat: animal fats (meat and dairy), avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, and fish. Processed vegetable oils are unhealthy. Saturated fats are good. Make sure you get up your ratio of Omega-3s to 6s. Trans fats are bad when you get too many. They occur in trace amounts in nature, which is fine, but stay away when there is an abnormal amount in artificially produced foods.

Also, complex carbs are not necessarily an important part of a diet. First, let's clarify something. Complex carbohydrates is actually a vague term and not quite helpful, especially when discussing (very) low carb diets. I'm going to introduce you to another term that every low-carber needs to know: net carbs. Net carbs (usually counted in grams) are total carbohydrates - dietary fiber. The average person stays in ketosis (assuming you aren't getting too much protein) when you eat under 50 net carbs. Initial ketoers should probably only be getting 20-25 net carbs. Your intake of carbs should mostly be from vegetables (not fruit) and nuts.

So eat the skin on the poultry. Eat your steaks and bacon. Put cream, cheese, sour cream, and real butter on everything. Always choose full fat options over non-fat. And eat veggies.

love all of this! very well explained! ^^
  • reeyonce
    Options
    """""""""This is the only bit that seems off to me...as previously stated, milk has more carbs than cream (which is why I lighten my coffee with HWC, rather than 1/2 & 1/2). Also: why fat-free yoghurt? I eat Cabot's full-fat Greek yoghurt, which is deliciously creamy and very filling (don't know if they have that where you are, but surely something similar could be sought out?).

It sounds like you are doing great! Don't fear the dietary fats: they are your friend when eating Keto! """""""""""""""

Thank you! I'm really trying - exercise for me is the easiest part, it's the nutritional part that is SOOOO confusing/complicated!

I love milk, especially whole milk & don't want to give that up at all. However if I need to I am willing to switch back to skim milk? Fat free yoghurt - simply because I though I needed to. I eat Total 0% fat free yoghurt however this does have slightly more sugar than the full fat version which is usually the case...I'm happy to switch but I can't help being worried about how much fat I'm eating because I'm not 100% sure. Bear in mind I do eat 3-4 eggs every morning for breakfast? I'm no expert obviously, need all the help I can get.
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    [/quote]

Are there any other sources for fat you could recommend?

[/quote]

coconut oil! look up keto fat bombs. there's tons of them out there :-)
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    Watch the carbs in milk, there is anywhere from 11-14g which is all sugar 1 cup of whole milk. I'd rather use those carbs on a nice side dish of vegetables.

^^^ yes exactly! milk has a lot of sugar in it! stick to heavy cream, or 1/2 & 1/2 if you must!
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    Good afternoon,

Hey thanks... I might try this. There's no way I could ever be able to come up with my own strategy using percentages and stuff like that, A. because I'm **** at maths and B. I simply don't understand it. I am very good at sticking to strict plans as long as I have a plan to follow. I'm very comfortable with a minimal carb diet, with my only carbs really coming from fruit/veg/milk, sometimes fruit and SOMETIMES porridge if I feel like it - etc. What I really need I guess is to find someone who can work it out for me using what I typically eat in a day and arrange it so I'm getting the fat & protein I need to be healthy AND lose fat without going over my deficit.

^^mfp does this for you!! go to the goals section and tell it what percentages you want!! mine is set to 10% carb, 75% fat and 15% protein. i also change my sugar because they set it ridiculously high!! i put in 15g
  • reeyonce
    Options
    Good afternoon,

^^mfp does this for you!! go to the goals section and tell it what percentages you want!! mine is set to 10% carb, 75% fat and 15% protein. i also change my sugar because they set it ridiculously high!! i put in 15g

Oh haha I never knew that - that's easy then! I will go through this post and copy someone's goals that fit closely to how I want mine to be. Thank you sooooo much everyone & good luck! xxxxxxxxxx
  • reeyonce
    Options

Now this isn't to say that you won't achieve weight loss eating high amounts of protein, but there are certain advantages to optimizing your ratios. If you keep your blood sugar and insulin response down long enough, your body will adapt (to a more appropriate and natural diet your body was built for) and go into a state called ketosis. It's possible you are in it right now, but high protein can take you out of it. Ketosis is a state of rapid fat burning and it is linked to several health benefits including (but certainly not limited to) the cure for epilepsy, reduced cancer risk, certain better cholesterol/triglyceride indicators, and more energy. Also, it is a very satisfactory diet even on a calorie deficit.

Here is a calculator to help you figure out better ratios:
    keto-calculator.ankerl.com

You said something about healthy fats, but I want to make sure you know what fats are actually healthy to eat: animal fats (meat and dairy), avocados, coconut oil, olive oil, nuts, and fish. Processed vegetable oils are unhealthy. Saturated fats are good. Make sure you get up your ratio of Omega-3s to 6s. Trans fats are bad when you get too many. They occur in trace amounts in nature, which is fine, but stay away when there is an abnormal amount in artificially produced foods.

Also, complex carbs are not necessarily an important part of a diet. First, let's clarify something. Complex carbohydrates is actually a vague term and not quite helpful, especially when discussing (very) low carb diets. I'm going to introduce you to another term that every low-carber needs to know: net carbs. Net carbs (usually counted in grams) are total carbohydrates - dietary fiber. The average person stays in ketosis (assuming you aren't getting too much protein) when you eat under 50 net carbs. Initial ketoers should probably only be getting 20-25 net carbs. Your intake of carbs should mostly be from vegetables (not fruit) and nuts.

So eat the skin on the poultry. Eat your steaks and bacon. Put cream, cheese, sour cream, and real butter on everything. Always choose full fat options over non-fat. And eat veggies.

Hey thank you for all of this....using the calculator now, thanks!
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I love milk, especially whole milk & don't want to give that up at all. However if I need to I am willing to switch back to skim milk? Fat free yoghurt - simply because I though I needed to. I eat Total 0% fat free yoghurt however this does have slightly more sugar than the full fat version which is usually the case...I'm happy to switch but I can't help being worried about how much fat I'm eating because I'm not 100% sure. Bear in mind I do eat 3-4 eggs every morning for breakfast? I'm no expert obviously, need all the help I can get.

Skim milk has more sugar in it than whole milk does! Do not fear the fat, my friend. Fat is essential for helping those neurons in your brain fire! Eat more fat, and you might even start to like math! (Just kidding). I've never been a *huge* milk drinker, so I'm not really sure what someone could do to "replace" it, if they were so inclined. That's how a lot of people switch to higher-fat/lower-carb diets - by finding a suitable replacement for their "I could never give this up" foods/drinks. I was into sweets, so I just switched to super dark chocolate, and made my own low-carb desserts for parties (crushed nuts for crusts, berries and cream, etc.).

Just keep this in mind: If they've *removed* the fat from something, they have to *add* sugar back in to give it any flavor. So low-fat/no-fat yogurt is packed with sugar.

For me, when I'm trying to treat myself - I get one of the large containers of Fage full-fat greek yogurt, take about 3/4 cup of the yogurt, add in a 1/4 cup of blackberries, a few drops of EZ-Sweets (liquid Splenda) and mix that all together. It's delicious, ~10 net carbs, and satisfies my desire for something sweet.

My diet consists of chicken thighs (with the skins), pork rinds, bacon, eggs, coconut oil, butter, cheese, heavy cream, fish, liver, spinach, kale, SUPER dark chocolate (I used to hate that stuff before I stopped eating so many carbs/sugars), broccoli, cauliflower, pork, beef, sour cream, ranch dressing, non-breaded buffalo wings, berries in moderation, full-fat yogurt, LOTS of salt on everything, cream cheese, almonds, sunflower kernels, chia seeds, so on and so forth.

Don't be afraid of fat! It's been drilled into us for years, but seriously - fat is a great way to feel fuller for longer and can actually aid in reducing your caloric intake, particularly when coupled with carb restriction.
  • reeyonce
    Options
    [/quote]
    [/quote]
    Skim milk has more sugar in it than whole milk does! Do not fear the fat, my friend. Fat is essential for helping those neurons in your brain fire! Eat more fat, and you might even start to like math! (Just kidding). I've never been a *huge* milk drinker, so I'm not really sure what someone could do to "replace" it, if they were so inclined. That's how a lot of people switch to higher-fat/lower-carb diets - by finding a suitable replacement for their "I could never give this up" foods/drinks. I was into sweets, so I just switched to super dark chocolate, and made my own low-carb desserts for parties (crushed nuts for crusts, berries and cream, etc.).
    [/quote]
    [/quote]

Lol okay **** it. I'm sticking with whole milk I'll simply look through my diary and see if there's anything I can get rid of to accommodate it. Honestly, (when I'm in full focused weight loss mode) the only things I COULD NOT live without is probably meat, eggs & milk so it's not a problem for me at all. For me processed sugar & carbs are not a massive treat (as much as I wanna eat my body weight in them sometimes) because I get horrible sugar rush... (dizzy, headaches, heart palps, sick, bloated, drowsy, I almost feel drunk?! and usually it only takes ONE chocolate bar or sweet to feel this way) so yeah I'm better off without. When I reach a new target I spend about a week eating whatever I feel like (without going over my calories) then start again.
    Yeah for a treat I will also have frozen berries with Total Greek yoghurt and sweetener and yes, it IS amazing!!
  • Mjguyot
    Mjguyot Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a Very Low Carb diet right now and I replace milk with heavy cream. Heavy Cream has HALF the amount of carbs as whole milk does.. But then again I literally ONLY put it in coffee and egg recipes. I'm not actually drinking it.

Whole milk - 11.4 grams of carbohydrate
    2 % milk - 11.7
    1 % milk - 11.6
    Fat-free (skim) milk - 11.9
    Buttermilk - 11.7
    Goat's milk - 10.9
    Half and Half - 10.4
    Light Cream - 7.1
    Heavy Cream - 6.6

You can also sub regular "drinking" milk with Almond milk. it's only 2-3g per cup depending on the brand.. Just make sure you get the unsweetened brand. (PS. if you don't like the unsweetened then pop a few packets of Splenda in the container when you first open it.. with a couple of drops of vanilla extract.. yummo..
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    """""""""This is the only bit that seems off to me...as previously stated, milk has more carbs than cream (which is why I lighten my coffee with HWC, rather than 1/2 & 1/2). Also: why fat-free yoghurt? I eat Cabot's full-fat Greek yoghurt, which is deliciously creamy and very filling (don't know if they have that where you are, but surely something similar could be sought out?).

It sounds like you are doing great! Don't fear the dietary fats: they are your friend when eating Keto! """""""""""""""

Thank you! I'm really trying - exercise for me is the easiest part, it's the nutritional part that is SOOOO confusing/complicated!

Eat the full fat yogurt and the full fat milk.
    I you are concerned about the calories, then eat smaller portions (three eggs instead of four, ¾ a cup of milk instead of a full cup. . . . )
  • MarthaPassman
    MarthaPassman Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Daniel - I'm having a terrible time trying to follow the low carb, high fat, mod protein diet.....I am insulin resistant, pre-diabetic and my blood sugars have been great, but I can't digest dairy, so I'm dropping most of it, and I seem to be having trouble with certain fatty fishes and red meat....I've started a really good probiotic and digestive enzymes and now think I must have low stomach acid...so I'm researching taking HCL with each protein meal as well. Food intolerance and digestive issues are making it difficult - but I feel this diet based on my weight and insulin issues would be the best way to go. Aside from net carbs, what would the suggested percentage of fat and the percentage of protein be in a day? I'm eating more organic coconut oil now rather than butter, but have added back a few carbs to help with stomach upset....which may go away after I start the HCL....any suggestions? Otherwise I'm going to have to go back to low calorie and low carb....
  • DanielCathers
    DanielCathers Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Daniel - I'm having a terrible time trying to follow the low carb, high fat, mod protein diet.....I am insulin resistant, pre-diabetic and my blood sugars have been great, but I can't digest dairy, so I'm dropping most of it, and I seem to be having trouble with certain fatty fishes and red meat....I've started a really good probiotic and digestive enzymes and now think I must have low stomach acid...so I'm researching taking HCL with each protein meal as well. Food intolerance and digestive issues are making it difficult - but I feel this diet based on my weight and insulin issues would be the best way to go. Aside from net carbs, what would the suggested percentage of fat and the percentage of protein be in a day? I'm eating more organic coconut oil now rather than butter, but have added back a few carbs to help with stomach upset....which may go away after I start the HCL....any suggestions? Otherwise I'm going to have to go back to low calorie and low carb....

The calculator in my first post here is a good place to start to determine the ratios of other macros. Here it is again for convenience:

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

I'm not sure if I can give you too much advice about your digestive issues but I found a few resources on a non-dairy keto diet:

http://www.reddit.com/r/keto/comments/1jtede/

http://ketocook.com/tag/dairy-free/

Also look into some paleo recipes. Paleo is similar to keto except for key differences like it abstains from dairy and allows more fruit. Just make sure you are aware of the carbs in those recipes if they contain fruit.

You could also look into vegan keto resources especially since you seem to want to stay away from certain meats (I would experiment with them if you aren't sure). Just a couple of Googles:

http://www.theketogenicdiet.org/low-carb-dieting-for-vegetarians-and-vegans-is-it-possible/

http://meshell.ca/blog/vegan-keto-experiment-week-one-food-info-ratios/