Cardio vs strength training

Options
Hi all,

I've been on MFP on and off for a while, but since March I've been pretty consistent with logging food and even lost about 10 pounds. Now I've gotten into working out more and I love it! I feel good and although I haven't seen any results yet, I'm hoping I will soon.

Currently I'm lifting weights 3 days a week and running 3 days a week with 1 rest day. Any exercise I've done in the past has been cardio so lifting is new to me. I've increased my calories from 1200 to 1400-1500 and have been pretty happy with that amount. Yesterday I was STARVING all day! I tried to stick to the meal plan I have laid out (not logging here, but on another spreadsheet) which is roughly a 50/30/20 carb/prot/fat split.

My gut is telling me I need to run more/do more cardio to see results (ultimately I'm trying to lose 20 lbs and decrease BF by about 10%), but my trainer is telling me I'll either need to add another meal or do less cardio. It just seems so backwards to me, but obviously what I've been doing hasn't been working so I should probably just trust him.

To be fair, I've only really been lifting for about 2 weeks, so I know it's still early. I've already gained, and then lost the same 3 pounds in that time. Part of me keeps saying I just need to be patient, but it's hard. I'm just SO DONE being fat and really want to see some results quickly to keep me motivated.

How long before I start to see any real results? How long will it take my body to get adjusted to this new routine? At this point, does adding more meals or doing less cardio even make sense?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Padzster
    Padzster Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi
    You've got a great routine going there. If you're not doing it already, I really recommend the Stronglifts program which is 3 days a week and will keep pushing you. I think you'll definitely notice results after 8 weeks, and the hunger thing should settle down.
    Good luck!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    You could lose weight without doing any cardio at all.

Just maintaining a sensible calorie deficit will enable you to lose weight.

Diet for weight loss

Exercise for fitness, health and body-comp.

Why don't you give the routine the college try for a few months and see how things go? People don't get overweight/unfit overnight and they certainly don't reverse it overnight either.
  • jent1007
    jent1007 Posts: 12
    Options
    When I was going to a personal trainer he told me 70% is nutrition and 30% exercise. So changing the way you are eating is most of the battle to losing weight. Definitely keep lifting especially focusing on your legs since your leg muscles are the biggest muscle in your body they will help you burn more fat. Good Luck you can do it.
  • HappyTravels
    HappyTravels Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Awesome exercise plan. Ive Been Lifting For Around 6 Weeks Now. Lost Nothing For 5 Weeks. The Scale Finally Moved Down 1kg This Week. I Have A Heap Of Weight To Lose So I 100% Understand Your Concern With Not Seeing Numbers Gping Down On The Scales. What I Can Say Is That Im Losing Inches And Noticeably. Clothes Are Considerably Looser And Ive Had Some Nice Compliments. So Stick With It And Try Not To Sweat The Scales.
  • LauraFouhse
    LauraFouhse Posts: 115
    Options
    Totally relate! When I started working out with a PT one year ago, he gave me the same advice. My entire life I had been trying to lose weight by calorie restriction/cardio. My training asked me to log all of my food and bring it to him. He told me I needed to eat more calories (went from 1200-1800) and that I needed to significantly increase my protein and healthy fat intake. I thought he was crazy but was desperate and decided to trust him. It took about 1.5 months before the scale started to change (although I noticed a chance in my body before that). It has been amazing. I am never hungry.... I have more energy than I imagined possible... I've dropped 11% body fat and 25 pounds. This feels totally sustainable... as opposed to the starvation diets I had followed in the past.

Good luck!!
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    How did you determine your calorie level? You don't say how tall you are or how much actual time you spend exercising, but 1400-1500 sounds pretty low for someone working out 6 days per week, plus the fact that you're starving after lifting. As someone else said, you do not need cardio to lose weight. I recommend taking the advice of your trainer. His advice makes sense.

It does take a while to actually see the results from lifting, but you should start feeling them within a few weeks in the form of increased strength. Be patient - the results are worth it!
  • TheBrolympus
    TheBrolympus Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    What is you goal?

If your goal is over all fitness keep doing what you are doing.
  • Tippy05
    Tippy05 Posts: 43
    Options
    Totally relate! When I started working out with a PT one year ago, he gave me the same advice. My entire life I had been trying to lose weight by calorie restriction/cardio. My training asked me to log all of my food and bring it to him. He told me I needed to eat more calories (went from 1200-1800) and that I needed to significantly increase my protein and healthy fat intake. I thought he was crazy but was desperate and decided to trust him. It took about 1.5 months before the scale started to change (although I noticed a chance in my body before that). It has been amazing. I am never hungry.... I have more energy than I imagined possible... I've dropped 11% body fat and 25 pounds. This feels totally sustainable... as opposed to the starvation diets I had followed in the past.

Good luck!!

This sounds exactly where I am and where I want to go.

Annie - I'm 5'1" and CW 140. I spend about an hour at the gym each time I go. The 1200 was set out my MFP before I started working out and my trainer increased it to 1500 (not sure how/why he set it at 1500).

Thanks for the replies all! I'll stick with it and just try to trust the process.
  • finnspin
    finnspin Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with increasing the calorie intake as well, I saw a nutritionist recently who reviewed logs of what I am eating, and she stated I needed to eat more- at least 1600-1700 calories a day (I'm 5' 9", 160 lbs) and that is the amount to eat even if I am not working out! So obviously workouts can require eating more healthy fats/carbs to not feel hungry, and to have fuel to make it through the workouts.