eat by feelings to maintain??

hi, i'll just reach my goal which lost 40lbs, is it possible that i stop counting numbers and just eat by my feelings, like sometimes if i want to grab a mc donald i go for it, but i still do my cardio everyday and lift weight, do u guys think this way can maintain my weight? i'll been maintain my weight for a month now, been eating 2300 calories everyday but sometimes i binge and felt so bad after because my binge was always like 5000-6000calories, thx!

Replies

• itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    you're not going to work a 5000 calorie binge off with cardio. why not keep counting your calories honestly for now but include the occasional mcdonald's splurge (logging the calories) and see if your weight stays the same or goes up.
  • belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    I don't know. Ask yourself if when you put on weight you were eating by feelings or not. If the answer is yes, then, unless your 'feelings' changed in the meantime, you should continue to log and count cals.
  • chewnadaa
    chewnadaa Posts: 16
    I just reached my goal weight too and I did not count calories for 2 weeks and I am up by 5pounds..really regret this alot...
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    I understand what you mean, but I don't think it will be successful in the long run. I tried maintaining in a similar fashion and ended up gaining weight. While I was still logging, I gave myself too many of these breaks, and ended up ruining my hard work. When you don't log, its not as easy to keep track of what your eating, and it becomes more of guess work, and sooner or later you're going to be eating much and not burning enough and you'll gain.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    i woudl say maintain and keep loggin for a few months... once you know how much you can eat wihtout gaining, try not logging...
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Only way you'll know is to give it a shot. Keep working out, keep checking in with the scale from time to time. If you find it's not working, back to logging.
    ^this

Every time I try it I gain.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    The feelings you should follow is how your clothes feel. When they start feeling too tight you need to buckle down, when they start feeling too loose, you aren't maintaining you are losing.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    If all of us could just 'feel' the right amount to eat, no one would get fat.

Most people who go by feel regain weight. If you don't want to log (is that your motivation?), then you need to do something else to keep things in check. You might use a tape measure or your scale or your clothes. As soon as you see a change, you start logging again.

But if you just want to eat a more diverse diet - grab that Big Mac - just do it. It can fit in your calorie log.

As I've maintained a long time, I find that I use my log as much to make sure I'm eating ENOUGH as that I don't eat too much.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I've been maintaining for over a year...I do not log...I am however mindful of what I eat. During the losing process I thought myself to eat properly both in terms of quality and quantity. Going to place like McDonalds or out for pizza or whatever are rarities for me as I've found that in order to maintain my weight without having to meticulously log everything, I have to have a diet (noun) that is pretty well removed from the SAD...that's just my way of saying that I cook primarily from scratch, whole ingredients and in general eat a lot of wholesome and nutritious foods...lots of veg and some fruit, lean proteins, healthy fats, a smattering of grains, etc...not any different than what I ate to lose weight, just in a bit more quantity.

The difference between my maintenance diet and my losing weight diet is all of about 500 calories per day...no real change in the quality of my nutrients...you don't just all of a sudden start stuffing your face with **** and expect to maintain your weight...it doesn't work that way.
  • I would strongly recommend maintaining a level of accountability somewhere. If you don't want to log your food every day, then weigh in every day instead.

The pounds have a way of creeping back on if you are not vigilant. (I speak from experience.) I imagine this would be amplified if you are already hitting up McDonald's and/or binging.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I would strongly recommend maintaining a level of accountability somewhere. If you don't want to log your food every day, then weigh in every day instead.

The pounds have a way of creeping back on if you are not vigilant. (I speak from experience.) I imagine this would be amplified if you are already hitting up McDonald's and/or binging.

Weighing in every day will drive you mental. Perhaps weekly. You can't do a lot of damage in a week.
  • AnnACnd
    AnnACnd Posts: 72 Member
    Sometimes I need a break from counting calories. Although I always come back to doing it for a bit to keep myself in line and on track :)