Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    I was in Walmart a couple of months ago and this young girl came in and I would say she probably has cerebral palsy...she was walking with crutches and she had that kind of sideways walk if you know what I mean...hard to explain. I was walking out as she came in, and she walked over to where they kept the riding carts and there werent any.....I had seen two of them in the store with those massive people in them. It just broke my heart that this sweet girl who had no control over her issue, was going to have to struggle around that store....

One of our neighbors, who is friends with my wife, has to be close to 400lbs. She's not this way because of any underlying medical condition; she's like this because she's lazy and stuffs 5 cheeseburgers into her yap at neighborhood BBQ's. From time to time, my kids have helped her unload her groceries, and it's nothing but junk food. I don't have an issue with this though.....if a person wants to live that way and not make it to 50, it's their life. What I take issue with her is the fact that she will use those disability scooters at stores because she's too lazy. She went out and got a handicap tag for her car because she's lazy, and apparently this state gives those tags out to the lazy like water. She has zero issue with any of this; in fact, she's quite proud of it and brags that there's always a close parking spot for her.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are why did you feel the need to post this?

And that your view on depression is ignorant.

I was going to say something to this effect.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    dis·a·bil·i·ty
    /ˌdisəˈbilitē/

noun

noun: disability; plural noun: disabilities

a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

However, being OBESE or MORBIDLY OBESE does.

Im Obese and I can jog..So I disagree:wink:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    At 560 lbs. and being home bound for over 2 years and unable to walk from one room to other without sitting on a rolling computer chair to get to the bathroom and kitchen and at my lowest point sitting in a chair with a loaded handgun in my mouth with the hammer back begging and pleading (but no one was in the room cause I was all alone) to give me the strength to end my pain I can honestly say being fat is debilitating, certainly it is all about choice at any point before I got into that state I was a contributing member of society and paid my taxes so when I was at my lowest no matter how I got there, I needed assistance to help get me out so when I finally had enough and wanted that help, I am Damn sure glad the people on the other end were more sympathetic to my position than the mind set you have (not knocking you in particular just people in general that think this way).

I had over 300 pounds to lose, was willing to give in to the process, but needed the help to get there. So my insurance backed me up and got me the things needed to atleast attempt to dig myself out of the hole that I put myself in.. Medical doctors to address my health issues, mental therapist to address my depression and eating disorders, physical therapy to help be exercise to build up my strength to be able to walk again and continue to improve my strength, a dietician to show me what I had been doing and to point me in the right direction to regain my relationship with all foods, etc, etc this list goes on and on. Had I not been afforded those things based on the diagnosis of being disabled at that time I would not have been offered the help and more than likely at the rate I was going would have been dead by now, either by my own hand or do to complication due to my severe morbid obesity. Sometimes it isn't as easy as just calling Bullcrap and saying suck it up buttercup, I am living proof if given the assistance when I was disabled that one can totally change there lives and become productive members of society again and in my opinion that is what it was intended for in the first place not a means to go on and live out your days on it..... Just my 2 cents...

I dont think fat people are not productive members of society at all. As far as judging about the scooters(diff comment), I dont judge by the person, I judge by whats in their cart. I also get upset when I see people pushing their overweight children in the buggies that have the seats on them and you look in their buggy and its full of chips, soda and ice cream. do you think that parent is doing that kid any favors??
    maybe it was someone's birthday.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    At 560 lbs. and being home bound for over 2 years and unable to walk from one room to other without sitting on a rolling computer chair to get to the bathroom and kitchen and at my lowest point sitting in a chair with a loaded handgun in my mouth with the hammer back begging and pleading (but no one was in the room cause I was all alone) to give me the strength to end my pain I can honestly say being fat is debilitating, certainly it is all about choice at any point before I got into that state I was a contributing member of society and paid my taxes so when I was at my lowest no matter how I got there, I needed assistance to help get me out so when I finally had enough and wanted that help, I am Damn sure glad the people on the other end were more sympathetic to my position than the mind set you have (not knocking you in particular just people in general that think this way).

I had over 300 pounds to lose, was willing to give in to the process, but needed the help to get there. So my insurance backed me up and got me the things needed to atleast attempt to dig myself out of the hole that I put myself in.. Medical doctors to address my health issues, mental therapist to address my depression and eating disorders, physical therapy to help be exercise to build up my strength to be able to walk again and continue to improve my strength, a dietician to show me what I had been doing and to point me in the right direction to regain my relationship with all foods, etc, etc this list goes on and on. Had I not been afforded those things based on the diagnosis of being disabled at that time I would not have been offered the help and more than likely at the rate I was going would have been dead by now, either by my own hand or do to complication due to my severe morbid obesity. Sometimes it isn't as easy as just calling Bullcrap and saying suck it up buttercup, I am living proof if given the assistance when I was disabled that one can totally change there lives and become productive members of society again and in my opinion that is what it was intended for in the first place not a means to go on and live out your days on it..... Just my 2 cents...

I dont think fat people are not productive members of society at all. As far as judging about the scooters(diff comment), I dont judge by the person, I judge by whats in their cart. I also get upset when I see people pushing their overweight children in the buggies that have the seats on them and you look in their buggy and its full of chips, soda and ice cream. do you think that parent is doing that kid any favors??

So judging what a person has in their cart? Do you know what they are buying things for do you know what else they are eating?

HX7sl.gif
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    Hmm I wouldn't say it is - because there's nothing you CAN'T do if you learn how to do it (even if that should involve losing weight). I've never had to help an overweight person cross the street...

Edit: after reading some of the above comments though, I could be swayed on a case by case basis. Depends on the situation I suppose.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

So judging what a person has in their cart? Do you know what they are buying things for do you know what else they are eating?

HX7sl.gif

JOHN!!!....MARY! :bigsmile: :blushing:
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I was in Walmart a couple of months ago and this young girl came in and I would say she probably has cerebral palsy...she was walking with crutches and she had that kind of sideways walk if you know what I mean...hard to explain. I was walking out as she came in, and she walked over to where they kept the riding carts and there werent any.....I had seen two of them in the store with those massive people in them. It just broke my heart that this sweet girl who had no control over her issue, was going to have to struggle around that store....

One of our neighbors, who is friends with my wife, has to be close to 400lbs. She's not this way because of any underlying medical condition; she's like this because she's lazy and stuffs 5 cheeseburgers into her yap at neighborhood BBQ's. From time to time, my kids have helped her unload her groceries, and it's nothing but junk food. I don't have an issue with this though.....if a person wants to live that way and not make it to 50, it's their life. What I take issue with her is the fact that she will use those disability scooters at stores because she's too lazy. She went out and got a handicap tag for her car because she's lazy, and apparently this state gives those tags out to the lazy like water. She has zero issue with any of this; in fact, she's quite proud of it and brags that there's always a close parking spot for her.

I tried to go for a walk one day around the block with my wife and mother. We got about a mile away from the house and my back gave out, I tried to make it back and couldn't. I wanted more than anything in the world to make it there, but infront of my mother and wife I had to sit down on the side of the road and wait for them to go get the car and pick me up. Until YOU have a day like that try not to assume people are just being lazy.
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I think my post was totally misconstrued...if you remember, I was referencing FMLA....my point was should you be able to take FMLA or receive a check because of being overweight....I still stand behind my opinion. If you are clinically depressed...then depression is your medical disablility not being overweight, if you have thyroid issues, thats your medical condition not being overweight....if you have no other issue except you dont move and overeat...you have no disability and you can change your circumstances...

as for the person next to me....I have worked with them for 14 yrs and yes I know their story including the fact that they had to see someone before they got the lapband to make sure they had no clinical issues such as depression before the dr would do the surgery....
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    dis·a·bil·i·ty
    /ˌdisəˈbilitē/

noun

noun: disability; plural noun: disabilities

a physical or mental condition that limits a person's movements, senses, or activities.

However, being OBESE or MORBIDLY OBESE does.

Im Obese and I can jog..So I disagree:wink:

Morbidly obese and can jog. And jump up onto 6' walls. And work as hard as anyone else.

/shrug
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    People who aren't overweight finding ways to put down people who are has never much impressed me. Just a cheap way to feel better about yourself.
    ^^^^^ This
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Depression leads to emotional eating for comfort.

Now being fat leads to other negative things happening. Mentally and physically. It is not a disability and what are people doing to even consider this.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    All I am moved to say is....

15 yards! Unnecessary holding!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Once again, judgment is judgment. It comes easily, for there is no personal responsibility in judging others. Having insight and empathy are qualities of substance that at your age, should already be in place.
  • anissa333
    anissa333 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    For the record, I have been overweight...so who is judging now??
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I think my post was totally misconstrued...if you remember, I was referencing FMLA....my point was should you be able to take FMLA or receive a check because of being overweight....I still stand behind my opinion. If you are clinically depressed...then depression is your medical disablility not being overweight, if you have thyroid issues, thats your medical condition not being overweight....if you have no other issue except you dont move and overeat...you have no disability and you can change your circumstances...

as for the person next to me....I have worked with them for 14 yrs and yes I know their story including the fact that they had to see someone before they got the lapband to make sure they had no clinical issues such as depression before the dr would do the surgery....

Well I went on medical leave for a year because I was fat and it made all my other medical conditions worse. But without that I would not have been able to pay my bills whatever. I have worked since I was 12 years old, I have paid into this who are you to say I should not receive the benefits that I have paid for.

Do you know the person you work with whole story no you work with them, you know that part of their life. Get off your damn high horse. When you can't stand up from a chair for 5 minutes because your heart rate goes from a resting rate of 150 to over 200 in that time, friggen judgmental...........
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    As a referee, you are the field judge.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Once again, judgment is judgment. It comes easily, for there is no personal responsibility in judging others. Having insight and empathy are qualities of substance that at your age, should already be in place.

Perfect.:heart::heart: :heart:
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Your flippant comment about depression was uncalled for. I have struggled with depression and the way it affects the way you eat is very real and very serious. Don't joke about that kind of stuff. It's not even funny, it's just cruel. Depression isn't something you can snap out of and it's not something you can just wake up and say "Okay! Today's the day I get myself going on my diet and turn my life around!" It doesn't work like that, so don't pretend it does.

I just read the new posts and saw you feel like depression is the disability, not obesity--which I can agree with--but I still feel like my comment stands.