Options

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    With regards to thyroid conditions, I found these stats at this website:

http://www.thyroid.org/media-main/about-hypothyroidism/

Prevalence and Impact of Thyroid Disease
    -More than 12 percent of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime.
    -An estimated 20 million Americans have some form of thyroid disease.
    -Up to 60 percent of those with thyroid disease are unaware of their condition.
    -Women are five to eight times more likely than men to have thyroid problems.
    -One woman in eight will develop a thyroid disorder during her lifetime.
    -Most thyroid cancers respond to treatment, although a small percentage can be very aggressive.
    -The causes of thyroid problems are largely unknown.
    -Undiagnosed thyroid disease may put patients at risk for certain serious conditions, such as cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis and infertility.
    -Pregnant women with undiagnosed or inadequately treated hypothyroidism have an increased risk of miscarriage, preterm delivery, and severe developmental problems in their children.
    -Most thyroid diseases are life-long conditions that can be managed with medical attention.

Not everyone can be Ms Fitness Olympia!

I would however agree that depression is not an acceptable excuse for obesity.

Hypothyroidism is easily treated with T3, T4 or a blend of both. There's no reason that people have to be obese because of thyroid dysfunction. We also know that being obese is one of the major contributors to endocrine dysfunction systemically so many people who "have a thyroid problem" got fat without a thyroid problem and developed hypothyroidism because of it.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Being fat is not a disability, there are plenty of "overweight" people that are in good shape.

The "victim" you are talking about, needs help for depression. That is what she needs. She is trapped in a loop of blame, it happens a lot. My life sucks, but if I lose weight it will be great, they lose some weight and guess what life doesn't get great. So they go back to eating because it is much easier to say "my life sucks because I am fat" than it is to say "my life sucks because I am ugly or stupid or lazy"

Reality is "fat" is not a disability, however, not eating healthy, not moving, not taking care of yourself will cause disability. It is not a number on the scale, it is not how you look, it should all be about health. My husband is the perfect weight for his height, he has high cholesterol and is totally out of shape, back problems, etc. I am 30lbs overweight and considered "obese", but my cholesterol is perfect, despite having arthritis I am very active and in complete good health! In other words, fat is not a disability, fat is a symptom or a cause, but fat is not a disability.

I can so relate to the bold.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    The Judgy McJudgersons are out in full force today. I know - it takes one to know one and I am too often guilty.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I was in Walmart a couple of months ago and this young girl came in and I would say she probably has cerebral palsy...she was walking with crutches and she had that kind of sideways walk if you know what I mean...hard to explain. I was walking out as she came in, and she walked over to where they kept the riding carts and there werent any.....I had seen two of them in the store with those massive people in them. It just broke my heart that this sweet girl who had no control over her issue, was going to have to struggle around that store....

I never see elderly or disabled people using these carts. It's always Honey Boo-boo's mom or her clone.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

-More than 12 percent of the U.S. population will develop a thyroid condition during their lifetime.
    -Most thyroid cancers respond to treatment, although a small percentage can be very aggressive.
    -Undiagnosed thyroid disease may put patients at risk for certain serious conditions, such as cardiovascular diseases, osteoporosis and infertility.
    -Pregnant women with undiagnosed or inadequately treated hypothyroidism have an increased risk of miscarriage, preterm delivery, and severe developmental problems in their children.
    -Most thyroid diseases are life-long conditions that can be managed with medical attention.

Hypothyroidism is easily treated with T3, T4 or a blend of both. There's no reason that people have to be obese because of thyroid dysfunction. We also know that being obese is one of the major contributors to endocrine dysfunction systemically so many people who "have a thyroid problem" got fat without a thyroid problem and developed hypothyroidism because of it.

I'm sorry... have you ever been treated for hypothyroidism? It's not just "here take this pill" kind of fix. You have to find the right balance of hormones and you could spend years trying to find that balance. In the meantime, you are just popping pills and hoping for results. Also, hypothyroidism is genetic, so it really isn't like PCOS where obesity is identified as a contributor to the development of the disease.

Honestly, people, in a perfect world, no one would ever get fat. This isn't a perfect world. People get fat. Some decide to make changes, and some don't. Are you honestly telling me that you don't have any unhealthy vices? Alcohol, smoking, gambling, sex, caffeine addiction? Nothing? Every choice you make is always centered around health?

Judging fat people is judging people for their choices. And before you declare how a fat person's choices harm you, ask yourself how you would feel if I judged you because you decided to buy that big gas-guzzling, over-polluting SUV, instead of a Prius?
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Being obese or morbidly obese most definitely can be a disability because it often interferes with normal activity, even with no underlying health problems. Whether it is subject to FMLA is dependent on other factors. In some cases, yes, and in other cases, no. That's a matter that is determined by those whose job it is to make distinctions. It isn't my job, and I'm guessing that it isn't the OP's job, either. Yes, some obese people are more than capable of performing job functions, but some aren't. It isn't for me to determine if it's a disability or not because I don't work in that field or see the specific case file. As for OP's coworker with the lap band, my guess is her distaste for her as a person leads to her being overly judgmental of the woman. OP doesn't like her, so she's looking for more reasons to justify the dislike. It shows a distinct character flaw, and a disappointing one at that.

Judging what other people purchase at a grocery store is lame. Eating only clean foods or lean meat and veggies is whoever's prerogative, but I don't walk around the grocery store judging those sorts of people for thinking they're better than the rest of us who like to bring home frozen pizzas and pop tarts.

There are plenty of thin people out there gaming the system when it comes to FMLA, SSD and SSI. I'd be willing to bet that if you look at the statistics on it, people gaming the system would look just like the overall population with respect to the percentages of obese versus normal weight.
  • mojomarie
    mojomarie Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Wow, clearly you've never suffered from depression. (I would NOT wish it on anyone!) I was diagnosed with clinical depression at 18 (many moons ago). One of the side effects of being severely depressed is that you CANNOT just "get up and do something about it", that's just not how it works. Severe depression affects people differently and for those that seek treatment to "get up and do something" it often takes YEARS to find the right treatment. Many of the medications suggested cause weight gain and sluggishness which can intensify a downward spiral. A combination of the wrong meds (through trial and error) caused me to become obese. (Yeah, I WAS watching my caloric intake). Finally, after YEARS of trial and error, I've been able to fight this and took off 109 lbs.

I'm (guessing) you may/ may not understand the dynamics of depression. This is my personal struggle and it's taken YEARS and more fight than most could ever fathom. No, "being fat" is not a disability, however, there may be an underlying disability that got us there that needs to be addressed.
  • mojomarie
    Options
    @ USED TO BE HUSKY!! :):) Absolutely! Same thing with depression. It's a fight.... looks like you and I are winning:) WAY TO GO!!!!
  • srslybritt
    srslybritt Posts: 1,618 Member
    Options
    As for me, personally, OP... I think this post, and your question to your boss in such a public manner, was in poor taste. I think you're failing to take into consideration that not every "fat" person, as you call them, is going to need assistance. Not every "fat" person plays the victim. In fact a lot of them do pick themselves up by their bootstraps and get 'er done. And that's freaking awesome.

But I pose you this question: Have you ever been so depressed that the idea of moving a muscle aside from breathing is exhausting? The idea of having to look at your loved ones in the face and interact with them instills terror in you? Have you ever not wanted to get out of bed because the idea of facing a day is so unfathomably difficult that it would be infinitely easier to build yourself a blanket cave and never come out? And at the same time, believe that absolutely nobody in the world would miss you?

I have. It's not a fun place to be. Don't judge other peoples' disabilities or gauge their capabilities based off of your healthy mind. That does you and them a disservice. Try to have a little empathy, it will go a long way.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Being obese or morbidly obese most definitely can be a disability because it often interferes with normal activity, even with no underlying health problems. Whether it is subject to FMLA is dependent on other factors. In some cases, yes, and in other cases, no. That's a matter that is determined by those whose job it is to make distinctions. It isn't my job, and I'm guessing that it isn't the OP's job, either. Yes, some obese people are more than capable of performing job functions, but some aren't. It isn't for me to determine if it's a disability or not because I don't work in that field or see the specific case file. As for OP's coworker with the lap band, my guess is her distaste for her as a person leads to her being overly judgmental of the woman. OP doesn't like her, so she's looking for more reasons to justify the dislike. It shows a distinct character flaw, and a disappointing one at that.

Judging what other people purchase at a grocery store is lame. Eating only clean foods or lean meat and veggies is whoever's prerogative, but I don't walk around the grocery store judging those sorts of people for thinking they're better than the rest of us who like to bring home frozen pizzas and pop tarts.

There are plenty of thin people out there gaming the system when it comes to FMLA, SSD and SSI. I'd be willing to bet that if you look at the statistics on it, people gaming the system would look just like the overall population with respect to the percentages of obese versus normal weight.

I like you! :flowerforyou:
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    OP... I agree 100%..
  • Meloonie
    Meloonie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I do kind of agree with you to an extent about it not being a disability. Until - that is - it becomes so overwhelming and out of control that it prevents you from living a normal active life.

But I think the OP being a complete *kitten* about 'being a victim' because someone has depression and eats as a result of that is completely uncalled for.

Unless you have had depression I dont think its for you to say what is being a victim and what is not, and even if you do or have had depression its still not up to you. You dont know what is going on in peoples lives behind closed doors. I suggest maybe you stop being so judgemental and try looking at things from another perspective.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Last I checked society doesn't force feed junk foods down our throat.. yet... we all make decisions on what to eat..

And people with depression can get fat on eating healthy food. Too much food makes people fat. Junk or not. Yes, we all make decisions, but again, if someone faces depression, or emotional eating issues, you can't just snap out of it.
  • serafinelaveaux
    serafinelaveaux Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    ETA: I will argue that being obese is indeed a disability. Have you ever seen an obese person walk, clap their hands, or tie ther shoelaces? It's nto exatly easy for them. You would go so far to say that their movement is limited, not unlike a disability.

Being fat is not a disability. That being said, most people are only considered fat by society when, in fact, they are actually obese.

As someone who is morbidly obese by any chart (239 @5'4") I'll argue that it is not a disability to the extent people claim it is. I started taking MMA classes at 260. Yes my movement is a bit limited, mainly on front snap and ax kicks because my fat thigh is hitting my fat gut on the upswing, but I can still do a spinning back kick to someone's chest without blinking. I do these insane punching and kicking drills for a solid half hour every class that has everyone in the class literally dripping sweat all over the place. If someone who is obese has trouble just clapping, it's because they've laid around so much that their muscles have degenerated, not because they're fat.

If it's a disability, then IMO 90% of the time it's a self induced one. I didn't get to an all time high of 282 because of a health issue or mean people who made me sad. I got there because frankly I didn't care and I ate what I pleased and avoided exercise like the plague. And my friends, pretty much all of whom were overweight/obese? Same thing, tho some will insist it's genetics or work or whatever. But it isn't. I hang with them, I know how they eat and what kind of activity level they have. They all choose, just like I did, to surround themselves with people and situations that at best overlooked their unhealthy lifestyles, and at worst actively encouraged them. And hey, if they're ok with it then so am I, but disability? Maybe if their diabetes makes a foot fall off, ok, but requiring handicapped parking and a motorized scooter because walking around the grocery store makes you tired is absurd.
  • MarilynMadness
    MarilynMadness Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I'm sorry... have you ever been treated for hypothyroidism? It's not just "here take this pill" kind of fix. You have to find the right balance of hormones and you could spend years trying to find that balance. In the meantime, you are just popping pills and hoping for results. Also, hypothyroidism is genetic, so it really isn't like PCOS where obesity is identified as a contributor to the development of the disease.

Honestly, people, in a perfect world, no one would ever get fat. This isn't a perfect world. People get fat. Some decide to make changes, and some don't. Are you honestly telling me that you don't have any unhealthy vices? Alcohol, smoking, gambling, sex, caffeine addiction? Nothing? Every choice you make is always centered around health?

Judging fat people is judging people for their choices. And before you declare how a fat person's choices harm you, ask yourself how you would feel if I judged you because you decided to buy that big gas-guzzling, over-polluting SUV, instead of a Prius?

I would like to high-five you right now! I do not have a thyroid (removed due to cancer) and, while I DID NOT gain weight from having it removed, the medication journey was awful, it's still awful, and it sucks. Actually, I would rather have gained weight than lost all my hair from hypothyroid. Oh, and it is much, much harder to lose weight, especially if your endocrinologist will only give you T4 medication and not NDT.

Sorry. /rant
  • bkthandler
    bkthandler Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am normally not one to play the “shame” card but the b!#@#ing about the electric carts at the store in pissing me off….I have a parent who is actually disabled (9 back surgeries) and she can barely walk. Between the drugs and the inactivity she has nearly zero quality of life and all the judgment heaped on those damn carts is why she won’t use them, that doesn’t mean she walks it means she gets out less and less and the isolation as some might be able to understand only heightens the depression.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    After reading through this thread, anyone can come to two conclusions:

- People who have never been morbidly obese or depressed are choosing to be ignorant and are telling the people who are morbidly obese/depressed that they should just snap out of it.

- People who are/were morbidly obese or depressed know what it is like and say that it is disabling.

People need to learn how to have open minds and imagine that it is to be in other people's shoes.

Or if they don't want to have an open mind they should keep their traps shut on things they don't understand.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    A symptom OF disability maybe, but you're not disabled BECAUSE you're fat. That's just silly.
  • mojomarie
    Options
    To whomever posted "Society doesn't force junk food down your throat." You SO miss the point. Society doesn't force you to be an A-hole, either but hey, guess it happens.
  • cljones302
    cljones302 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    On Wed my boss had to go to a 3 hour meeting about FMLA. She came back and said that there are key words that if you hear them being used you should direct your employee to HR..such as migraine, diabetes and such.

Joking around, I asked if fat was a key word....I picked up that can marked worms and broke it wide *kitten* open!! Everyone had an opinion...mine is its not a disability because you can do something about it. Someone brought up thyroid, ok thats a medical condition with weight gain as a side effect, but Jenny Worth became Ms Fitness Olympia with a thyroid condition so yes you have to work harder but its not a fat sentence by any means.

THEN the "victim" that sits next to me and has already had a lap band and lost some weight and gained some of it back....brought up depression and that making you eat and you cant help it....sorry I am calling bull on this one.....no quit being a victim and get off your *kitten* and do something!!!

So please tell me you thoughts? Oh and my parting comment....tell the person sitting in the wheelchair that being overweight is a disability....

I think that this statement really defines the OP's attitude toward anyone fat:" "joking around, I asked if fat was a key word....I picked up that can marked worms and broke it wide *kitten* open!! " It is certainly her opinion, and she is entitled to it, but it is insensitive and lacking empathy.

However, your views on depressions are incorrect, and it makes you sound ignorant.. I suggest you read up and educate yourself on the basics of depression. An easy read would be to start below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_depressive_episode