Dieting and alcohol

Options

Replies

• abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit of a light weight when it comes to alcohol (and only then.... but I'm getting there), so tend to hoard calories to enjoy a good beer or a glass of wine, then drink no cal beverages until I'm able to drive safely (or, if I'm home...just go to sleep... Sad, but cheap.)
  • Fat2FitAmanda
    Options
    Raspberry vodka and tonic is delicious! Or you could do a wine spritzer. Whatever you decide, enjoy!!
  • skinnywithin
    skinnywithin Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    OH Im with ya girl, tomorrow is my girls night out and I LOVE beer so I will have to keep it in moderation.
  • Eilonwy74
    Options
    I read somewhere (I believe in the Eat This, Not That book) that sake has the lowest calorie count of all alcohols. Something like 25 calories per ounce. I'd go with a red wine if sake is unavailable, since that's a good choice for heart health. Everything in moderation!
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    My answer to a drinking night is to eat less, exercise more and drink what I like......lol Usually I stay within my calories.

However...........

the worst thing about drinking is I always want to EAT when I'm drunk and when I'm hungover!! It reall is a carb attack!!! ARghhhhh!! That's where the problem lies!

Good luck and try and keep a grip on the food tonight and tomorrow :flowerforyou:
  • fzyfrog
    fzyfrog Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I don't know that I have had tonic before, but the raspberry vodka sounds good! I'll have to try it. Thanks!
    Raspberry vodka and tonic is delicious! Or you could do a wine spritzer. Whatever you decide, enjoy!!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Beer and Jack Daniels with full fat coke were my tipples of choice before starting, haven't had a drink since but if I do I think maybe Jack Daniels and Coke Zero will be my choice, however as Anna states, its not too much the drinking for, its the 2am 2000 calorie "snack" from the takeaway that is the worst thing for me. Beer munchies is a killer!!! :sad:

I think if you can withstand the 2am "snack" and just make sure you have a good time, even if it is a bit of a splurge, as long as you are focused and "on it" the day after I don't think it matters too much.

Have a good time :smile:

Ben
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    iv stopped drinking since i started back at this over a week ago. its too much im a big drinker and even tho i do drink vodka i can only have it with redbull which is loaded with calories,

so what i have planned to do is i set myself a goal to lose 10lbs by my birthday (22nd February) and then i will have a drink wether or not i reach my goal but its giving me the motivation to lose some weight.

it is my birthday after all lol
  • jterra
    jterra Posts: 3
    Options
    Beside my Alcohol comment I have to give you a huge congratulations. Losing that much weight is no easy feat. Here's to your continued sucess!!
  • eperezamora
    eperezamora Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    vodka, mimeral water and squeeze of lemon juice. 0 Calories.
    Vodka cannot be falvored
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    vodka, mimeral water and squeeze of lemon juice. 0 Calories.
    Vodka cannot be falvored

all vodka has some sore of calories in 60 i believe so i dont think it could be 0 calories, i used to think it had no calories in either
  • Fat2FitAmanda
    Options
    well i wasn't sure about it myself at first but with the flavoring in the vodka, you can't even tell it's tonic. it's just like a vodka and sprite. that's another thing i drink a lot is rasp or cherry vodka (even whipped vodka mmmm) with sprite zero. very delicious!
  • efahey
    efahey Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    i work in a bar and the drinks are always flowing... i stick to vodka water with a splash of lime juice for flavor... seems to work for me (and it avoids nasty sugar hangovers!!! haha)

xo erin
  • JillyBean819
    JillyBean819 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Diet Coke and Capt. Morgan. Each shot of Capt. is 90 cal and the diet coke is 0 calories.
  • fzyfrog
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!!! I ended up drinking raspberry vodka and tonic until about 11:00, then I switched to Jack and tonic because JD was only $3, lol. No, there was no moderate drinking for me last night. Thank goodness I don't do that very often! Although, I should have done my research before because when I put the tonic in my food diary this morning there were so many to choose from and the calorie count varied so dramatically that I'm not sure exactly how many calories I even drank.
  • fzyfrog
    Options
    Thanks JTerra! It is definitely hard work. But I'm glad to have this site and everyone on here for support!!
    Beside my Alcohol comment I have to give you a huge congratulations. Losing that much weight is no easy feat. Here's to your continued sucess!!
  • Wolfena
    Wolfena Posts: 1,570 Member
    Options
    Red wine is supposed to have some health benefits, although not necessarily low calorie - why not have a glass of that and drink water or diet soda the rest of the night?

Edit to add:

Oops - the night is over! I need to learn to read the WHOLE thread before answering!! :blushing:
  • fzyfrog
    Options
    No worries Wolfena! All recommendations are welcome even if the night is over. There are always other nights! And unfortunately, I know me and 1 glass of wine and water or diet pop the rest of the night would never work. I wouldn't stop at just one glass! I drink like a fish! Luckily I don't go out like that very often.

Red wine is supposed to have some health benefits, although not necessarily low calorie - why not have a glass of that and drink water or diet soda the rest of the night?

Edit to add:

Oops - the night is over! I need to learn to read the WHOLE thread before answering!! :blushing:
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I love Mike's Light Hard Lemonade (plain or cranberry flavor too). They're only about 90 cals. each, and pretty widely available.
  • erh2278
    erh2278 Posts: 19
    Options
    Don't beat yourself up too much about this - I really think the key is learning how to only do this once in a while! I lived in England for four years and discovered how much I LOVE beer, unfortunately this discovery has been a key factor in my weight gain. I am slowly (and boy do I mean slowly) learning how to have just one night of real drinking and save the worrying about calorie count when I just want to have a drink at the end of the day.