where to start

Options
hi was wondering what exercise to start with that are quick and easy, previously when exercising i started doing to much then woke next day walking like a robot and then give up, want to gradually build stamina and keep it fun ,

Replies

• Huskychemist
    Huskychemist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The best suggestion I can give you is to simply walk. Depending on the neighborhood where you live, start simple by walking around the block two or three times. Keep that up everyday, adding some time and trying to walk just a bit faster. It's an easy way to get some exercise in to get started. Then you can work on more 'advanced' exercises.

Good luck!
  • goron59
    goron59 Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I agree. Walking is a great way to start. Increasing distance/speed as can. Maybe try to move your arms a bit more when walking to get your heart going a bit quicker.

Another easy one is walking up stairs instead of using lifts/elevators. Try two steps at a time.

Sit up straighter, hold your stomach in - it puts a little more stress on your lower abs and burns calories.

The world around us is full of opportunities for cardio workouts!

I've got back trouble, so apart from the occasional elliptical work at the gym, this is all the exercise I [can] do, and I'm definitely getting fitter and lighter.

Good luck!
  • Ben2118
    Ben2118 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Something low stress, like an exercise bike or a cross trainer (elliptical) for 20 mins a day is how I started, then after a week upped it to 25 then after 3 weeks upped it to 30 mins a day which was my goal. You work hard on them but you don't feel like you have ages 50 years the morning after! lol I do 30 mins a day 6 days a week and feel great.

I just think its about finding something you can live with on a daily basis and take it steady to start with, you will be suprsed how quick you can adjust though, but start small and build it up.

Good Luck.

Ben.
  • pwodek
    pwodek Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you are just starting out begin with walking.
    Once that becomes pretty easy up your pace and
    than eventually add on weights and high impact
    cardio. You need to start slow if you want to stick
    with it.
  • tonisteedley
    Options
    Walking is a great way to get started. I started walking 1.5 miles every morning, after a month I was walking 5 miles every morning. Then I decided to try jogging. I loved it. I did that for 5-6 miles every morning for 8 months. Then I started having feet and knee problems. My knee ended up being fine. But I had Plantar Facitis in my right foot. "pretty bad" So that took my jogging away. I did get fitted for some really good running shoes and that has helped alot !! Now I do the 30 day shred with Jillian Michaels." great workout". But not for the beginner.

So yes start out slow and you will build your stamina. Be patient..
  • rorjoe
    rorjoe Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Walking is great - you'll be amazed how many calories you can lose walking - keeping track on MFP really shows how beneficial it is. It's a cheap low impact exercise and allows you to slow down and enjoy your surroundings healthily
  • dwarfer22
    dwarfer22 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Walking, yoga, lift some light weights a few times a week and build from there. I know some cable providers have on demand fitness programs of different intensity. 15-20 min to start and then increase.
  • missxena
    Options
    thanks for replies i do have a dog which my partner usually walks because she is an akita and very strong and she usually ends up walking me, im off out tomorrow to get a stop pull harness so i can walk her too,