The purpose of having your diary locked with a key?

MyiahRose
MyiahRose Posts: 183 Member
I understand having your diary private or only open to friends, but what is the purpose of having it locked with a key?
I dont understand this feature.

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    So you can share it with a few rather than none, some, or all?
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    I think the word "diary" explains it...some people want to write down how they feel/what they did without fear of judgement..or just to do it for themselves...
  • sdfg344
    sdfg344 Posts: 3
    Why are you so nosy?
  • MyiahRose
    I think the word "diary" explains it...some people want to write down how they feel/what they did without fear of judgement..or just to do it for themselves...

Then they should set it to private.
  • MyiahRose

a few? You shouldnt add people you wouldnt want to see your diary or just set it to private.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member

a few? You shouldnt add people you wouldnt want to see your diary or just set it to private.

That's your opinion. I accept whoever requests me cause I don't care. That doesn't mean I want them in my stuff.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    I regularly cut my calories low (1000-1200) to balance out weight gain from big-eating-events. Every time I do, I get a hundred hate messages about how I'm starving myself and I'M GOING TO DIE.

so I lock my diary with a key whenever cutting, then open it back up when i'm back up to maintenance calories. I have friends on my list who have the key because they're interested and because they won't send me hate mail during cutting blocks.

saves my sanity.

so everyone has their reasons.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    I don't typically do friend requests with people I meet in the forums, my friends list is nearly entirely people I know in "real life."

My diary is locked with a key because I prefer to keep my food private for the most part, but I leave it open to my husband so that he can copy my meals into his diary.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    I may not want to share my food diary with all the people I agreed to be "friends" with in order to encourage them or follow their good posts. Or I may be using this as a tool to share my food diary with just my doctor, nutritionist or someone else who understands my specific dietary needs. Those are just 2 of many situations where I may want to have 2 different levels of disclosure. I really like that MFP has this feature. Why does it upset you? How does it harm you or anything?
  • ZBuffBod
    ZBuffBod Posts: 297 Member
    Not sure about all that. This is new to me. I guess I'll go take a look at my diary options.

Although, on second thought, I don't care if someone looks at what I am eating. Unless they are dieticians or I specifically ask for help with my food choices, I'll ignore the unsolicited "advice". LOL.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member

That's your opinion. I accept whoever requests me cause I don't care. That doesn't mean I want them in my stuff.

Agreed.

And some people may be working with a physician, trainer, dietitian, etc who have the key to monitor the diary. There could be notes with private details that the person may only want certain people (like the mentioned) to see, but not anyone else. That doesn't mean they also can't participate in the community or have friends to be social with or for a little support/help.

Oh and...
    I don't understand why people worry so much about what other people do. What purpose does it serve?

^This x1000000000
  • Laurenloveswaffles
    Laurenloveswaffles Posts: 535 Member
    I could only see it being used if a ton of people request you but you prefer to keep you diary private in general. Then someone asks if they can see it for food ideas or whatever, but you don't want to open it for everyone?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member

is there a reason you care so much?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Why does it matter? Maybe someone's recovering from an eating disorder and only wants to share their diary with a therapist... maybe someone else only wants to share their diary with their personal trainer... or with their partner... or only with people they specifically ask for advice/help from...

there are loads of possible reasons.... what I don't understand is why it would matter to you? It doesn't make any difference to you if they set it as private or share it with only specific people.
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    I think the real question here is why you care so much? Maybe you should go write in your diary about it.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Mine is that way for the simple fact that I had an eating disorder, and the thought of lots of people being able to see what I eat makes me nervous and would ensure that I never logged anything. I've given the password to someone I trust, so that if there is concern about what I'm eating, it can be addressed to me by someone that I know cares. I don't see why anyone would be concerned about who I choose to share my diary with though, what does it matter?
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    I think the real question here is why you care so much? Maybe you should go write in your diary about it.

that would be cool because then we could all read it!

0U43loH.gif