Why the hell can't I go down a pants size?

Options
2»

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    The style of clothes I prefer to wear don't usually come in misses sizes, and I guess I'm probably not the same shape as those other girls, I'm more of an hourglass shape. It's just super frustrating, I'd like to not be considered plus sized anymore ><

They're jeans, how many styles are there? If you're looking for skinnies or jeggings I know american eagle carries them in misses sizes. They also used to have "curvy" cut jeans there, which I loved, but I'm not sure they do anymore :grumble:

You are kidding, right?
    Here is a sample of how many styles there are just in Levis, Boot Cut (not including Straight Leg, Skinny, or Legging jeans)

http://us.levi.com/family/index.jsp?view=all&categoryId=3699953&cp=3146849.3146884&ab=3699953jeans+by+style_boot+cut_viewall
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Try women's sizes, not Junior sizes. Junior sizes are odd, 9, 11, 13. You may be a size 10 in women's sizes.

And if you have bigger hip bones, you may always wear a larger size than your friends. I know someone who dreams of wearing a size 8 but cannot get below a 10. But she is already thin, doesn't have a lot more fat that can come off, she just has wider hips than will ever fit in an 8.

It's not really my hips though, my size 13 pants are quite loose around the stomach/hips area, though I do have somewhat wide hips, it's really just my thighs that are the problem.

The thighs are my issue too, and also I get a lot of gapping at the waist.

Try some different styles and brands-- you might be pleasantly surprised.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I was a size 12 when I was 18 yrs. old and 120 lbs. (BMI 18.8). I won't be 120 lbs. again unless I get really, really ill. Ha-ha.

I'm a size 14 when I'm anywhere from 150-165 lbs. (BMI 23.5-25.8) Yep, that's about it. I have these things called "hips." However, I can tell my real weight by how my pants *fit* and how I look in a dress or a bathing suit!! :blushing:
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Maybe you should take off your stormtrooper armor before you try on pants?

OK well, if that isn't the problem, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you are not overweight and you have an hourglass shape, you probably just have a body difference like very wide hips, which is generally attractive to most people and not something to worry about anyways...who cares what the number on the pants say in that case! Nobody's going to say "Hey, that girl has a great figure...wait a minute, let me check her pants size to see if I'm right", at least not to check the number anyways...
  • Loralrose
    Loralrose Posts: 203
    Options
    Yeah, I have a problem with thighs too. If pants fit my legs they're 2 sizes too big at the waist. And it just gets worse the fitter I get - fat comes off my waist but the muscle stays on my thighs.

As others have suggested, try a "curvy" style. They come in more at the waist. I'm a size 18 in regular jeans but 16 in most curvy jeans.
  • kitka82
    kitka82 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I have been a size 10 at 140 pounds and at 170 pounds, both at a height of 5'7". The difference between the two was my body fat percentage. I did mostly cardio and ate 1200 calories a day to get to 140. I did some strength training and ate at a modest deficit at 170. I lost scale weight slower but dropped sizes faster. The body is a strange and amazing thing.
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    As others have said, the odd number sizes are juniors sizes, which are cut to fit the bodies of adolescents and early teens. Meaning, they are specifically designed for people who are NOT curvy. If you are curvy, it's going to be hard to find a good fit and you're going to have to go way up in sizing. As clearly you've noticed!

Find some stores that carry ladies/misses sizes (even numbers). If you're looking for young/trendy styles you may want to try individual stores (i.e. the Gap, Urban Outfitters, H&M, etc.) instead of stores where the only "trendy" clothes are in the juniors section. Some larger department stores also carry specialty labels--there's on Macy's near me that carries Kenzo and Rachel Roy, for example, which have very trendy stuff.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    I started out in a size Misses 16. I now wear a Misses 8 after losing 40 pounds. I have an Hourglass figure.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you're curvy, some decent curvy pants are Eddie Bauer "Blakely" (Curvy) or "Mercer" (Slightly Curvy"). You can get everything from Jeans to Gabardine work slacks. At Old Navy, The Sweetheart is a good curvy fit or The RockStar. These are my go to pants that fit without any of the dreaded "waist gap." :flowerforyou:

Ann Taylor also has a curvy fit section, but I've never tried them (http://www.anntaylor.com/curvy/cat550084).

I'd love to hear other recommendations on high quality curvy pants. :happy:
  • ximenia
    ximenia Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. TIL that I am a size 8 in Marc Jacobs, but a size 10 in H&M and a size 13 in most juniors pants. I guess I'll probably just stick with the 13s for now since the majority of womens sized pants have the "mom jean" waist that I despise lol. But I feel a little better
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. TIL that I am a size 8 in Marc Jacobs, but a size 10 in H&M and a size 13 in most juniors pants. I guess I'll probably just stick with the 13s for now since the majority of womens sized pants have the "mom jean" waist that I despise lol. But I feel a little better

Keep your eyes open for low rise or mid rise. They're out there it just takes a little looking.

I got so frustrated at first when I got to my goal weight because I had to completely relearn how to shop, but I got the hang of it and you will too.
  • arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options

Do you mean pants that go all the way up to the waist? I like those best.