Importance of protein when loosing weight?

Options
Having only started a week ago ive noticed im often under my protein amount, with a goal of around 90 (but ive noticed the goal changes alot some days it says 80+ some it says more like 70)

I normly only eat around 40 per day sometimes less. What affect will this have? Ive also been told by someone on here to get some protein shakes but Ive only ever heared of these for people putting on muscle/weight but thats prob me being totaly wrong :D

Any info or help would be great, as always everyone here seems great and very helpful!

Replies

• WritingMyLife
    WritingMyLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    A nutritionist I went to told me I had to eat more protein in order to protect my gallbladder. MFP puts in the right amount of protein, according to what the nutritionist gave me.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    Not sure if this totally answers your question but here's the information I've received: protein does build muscle but muscle also helps burn fat so unless you are consuming mass amounts of protein & targeting your workout to specifically bulk up I think protein is beneficial to your weight loss.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    You need protein for muscle repair. Also it will help keep you fuller longer. :) Stay within your calorie allotment and you'll be fine. My protein is really high b/c of p90x so I eat eggs, turkey bacon, tuna, and have resorted to protein shakes as well.

Hope that helps.
  • hjp1000
    Options
    Protein is the macronutrient that keeps you fullest for longest, also it helps build muscle which will raise your basal metabolic rate. The more muscle you have the more calories you can eat without putting weight on as the body needs them to allow your muscle to respire
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Your muscles need protein. Protein gives you energy. I drink a protein shake after my workouts. Try to eat @ least 50% of your body weight in grams of protein. Muscle burns fat and speeds up your metabolism.
  • dirlos
    dirlos Posts: 3
    Options
    Was wondering exactly the same thing - really helpful posts and replies so thanks all (and I have to say on the days when I have a higher protein breakfast, I've snacked a lot less...)
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    The only way to bulk up on protein is to exeed your daily calories. As long as you are in a caloric deficit, you will lose weight. Protein is one of the most important parts of your diet. It helps repair muscle. Whey is a good way to supplement if you don't get enough protein with regular food.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I noticed th same thing so I went through my journals and it seems that the protien goal for the day goes up and down in relation to the amout of calories I burn off exercising. I think it just automatically adjusts.