Vomit

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
If you get sick and throw up, do you eat back your calories?

Do you just ignore it?

How long does it take for your body to absorb the food?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    If I'm sick I will eat what I can hold down and not worry about calorie counting until I'm better
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    If I am sick and throwing up, the last thing I am worried about is eating back my calories and wondering how long it takes for my body to absorb food.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    This is a weird question, but I wonder the same thing. I got sick last night, drank too much. I just assume I didn't absorb all the calories I ate/drank, I logged everything like I did and am just moving on. I'm not going to try to eat more or less today, just taking things as they come.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to log when I'm sick.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    you'd have to measure the weight and volume of the vomit to estimate how many calories it represents (gross)
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    If it happens once in a while when you are sick, just log as normal. One day doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, and if you're sick, you're not likely to want to eat to make up those calories anyways.

If you are looking for support of an eating disorder, you have come to the wrong place, and it is against the TOS for MFP.
  • hmg90
    Options
    you'd have to measure the weight and volume of the vomit to estimate how many calories it represents (gross)

That's kind of hard...even if you're dedicated, how do you know what is what?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    If I'm sick I will eat what I can hold down and not worry about calorie counting until I'm better

This.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options

Just use ratios as estimates. Although, in my experience with friends who couldn't hold their tequila, you might be surprised how well you can tell what is what.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options

Taste it. The vomit will have a bile aftertaste.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Only if you're a dog. Dogs do that but it's disgusting.
  • hmg90
    Options

That doesn't answer anything at all. What will have a bile aftertaste? Doesn't say anything about quantity
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :indifferent:
  • Erin_goBrahScience
    Erin_goBrahScience Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m8ammoGqts1qcp26yo1_500.gif
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Beat me to it. The wording of a post is so important. :drinker:
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

my cat does. Also disgusting.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

:laugh: I was thinking the same!

Yeah, I agree with those who say don't worry about calories when you're sick. Eat what will stay down, get fluids in as best you can, and rest rest rest. Log cals again when you're well.
  • hmg90
    Options

So riddle me this - I just purged and it tasted like chorizo. Do I eliminate the chorizo from my diary or count half of it?
  • PaulaKac
    PaulaKac Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I will log what I can eat...just for logging sake
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options

So riddle me this - I just purged and it tasted like chorizo. Do I eliminate the chorizo from my diary or count half of it?
    :huh:

I think you are waaaaaay to concerned about this. If you vomited the first time because you are sick, go lay down and forget about logging cals. Seriously.

If you purged the first time, and/or are so consumed with logging cals that you feel the need to purge just to taste your vomit and determine how digested it was - seek professional help.
This discussion has been closed.