Is being fat a disability??

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Well this has been fun. I've gone through a wide range of emotions reading this: shocked, offended, angry, and finally indifferent... None of those emotions effected anyone but me.

Hopefully everyone that took the time to read this thread at least learned something. If not, then what a waste of time.

I learned that I judge others. I'd be shocked to find anyone that doesn't to some degree.

I learned that I judge myself. I've been laid off and didn't claim unemployment. I have my own share of disabilities for which I should use a handicapped parking permit or a scooter, but I don't. I do this because of my fear of being judged by others.

I learned that I hide my weaknesses with lies or humor to try to appear stronger to myself or others. Jokes like, "MS is my immune system making Swiss cheese of my brain". Ok that doesn't sound remotely funny taken out of context. You had to be there.

I learned that people without direct experience with mental illness are completely ignorant of what it's actually like.

I learned that I want a hover chair that actually hovers.

in the end, people speaking from a place of empathy and knowledge might actually get someone to re-think their position. I laughed at the OP being called a douche, but that is going to have zero impact on changing her perspective.

it was pretty clear at that point that nothing else was either.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I think people are confused as to what "obese" even means, anyway.

Obese simply means "having a BMI over 30".

I'm obese at 210 pounds and 5'10". I don't stop being obese until I hit just under 209 pounds.

Morbid obesity, super obesity - these are what people tend to think of when people just use the word "obese". And they are wrong.

Use the correct terminology.

That needs a new definition.

I'd go with body fat %, but even though that's a more accurate way to predict actual health impact... it's harder to get an accurate measurement!

...and then I'd have to go into the breakdown by sex and age for males and females, and who wants to do all THAT?!

Someone should instead of using BMI. Body mass index needs to die like the food pyramid did.
    9ae.png
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is about FMLA, but this is how I feel about obesity being a "disability."

Being obese is not a disability, however it it possible to become disabled if you are so obese that it impedes your ability to walk. Yes, "they did it to themselves" but it doesn't make it less difficult for them to walk to and from their car into buildings, or walk around a store.

I have to admit, I do get really annoyed when I see fat people in scooters, because they are just perpetuating their own problems, but no one can force them to change. It's especially difficult when stores cater to their needs by providing the scooters. It's a chicken vs egg argument. Fat>Disabled>Scooter or Fat>Scooter>Fatter>"disabled"

The scooters will always be there, people are getting lazier and lazier, people are getting fatter and fatter (statistically), people are getting so fat that they are disabling themselves, so IMO they should qualify for FMLA if they need it.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Yea, bankruptcy won't exempt you. Woulda filed a long time ago :laugh:

QFT.

I just *had* to stay at the fancy school, even though my parents started making more money, and I was getting less and less financial aid. *sigh*

So pay the minimum until you die. You get to take the interest off your taxes anyway.

Not if you make enough to actually pay back the student loans

There was an original joke about finding a way to not pay them back.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    When someone has a baby, they take FMLA leave. Getting pregnant is (for most people) a conscious decision someone has made. They aren't denied FMLA because they "did it to themselves". So, even if you want to argue that a person is obese because they "did it to themselves", that is no reason to specifically deny them FMLA for now being obese.

Further FMLA is paid from benefits already accrued by the individual - their vacation and sick time. It isn't as if the company are forced to pay the person a salary and have them accrue further benefits for the time they are off. So the only cost to the company is finding someone to do the job while the person is on FMLA, and having a job for them when they get back.

Finally, allowing someone who is obese (and has no other medical conditions) to take a leave so they can address their obesity (going to a "fat farm" perhaps? I can't quite picture what else they would need FMLA for in the absence of other necessary medical procedures) will possibly prevent them from getting complications of the obesity further down the road. That will save the company (and the health insurance) money in the long run.

And finally (again)... isn't it the compassionate thing to do? If someone comes to me and says they need to use FMLA, isn't the right thing to do to try and get it for them and not try to second guess their medical or other conditions? Or does the Hobby Lobby decision mean that company busy bodies get to decide appropriate (non)treatments for everyone now?

:heart:
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Ok let me go a little different way....I think when you get disabilty...you can also get food stamps I THINK.....if that is the case...should the food you can get with that assistance be monitored?? I know with pregnant women who get WIC, they have to only get certain things and its all healthy such as they have to get natural cereals and nothing with sugar.....

Okay, you're just prying at that can of worms again, aren't you?

I am really not trying to....do I just need to shut the **** up???

Yes.

And this is why:

When a person gets SSDI (disability), they have to prove medically that they have a disability. They have provided medical records, been to medical or mental health professionals, sat in front of a judge, probably hired a lawyer, and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they are disabled and cannot work. And yes, SSDI does open the door for several other programs, including SNAP, Vocational Rehabilitation HUD, etc. But people who receive SSDI have spent easily 2-3 years proving they are disabled. It is not an easy process in any way, shape, or form. So yes, you should STFU because obviously you have never worked within the system and have zero idea of what you are speaking.

Well, that puts my fears to rest, knowing that the system is foolproof, and no-one could ever possibly game the system to their advantage.

Any system can be gamed. Student Loans are gamed all the time. However, they are never really brought into question.

Can you enlighten me as to how this is done? For research purposes only lolol

You've never known anybody who "went to school" for the six years they spent drunk?

Oh. I don't care about that. I thought it was being stated that there was a way you could get out of paying them back.

Nevermind. LOL. Carry on.

Bankruptcy.

Nope Bankruptcy is not going to work. One still has to pay student loan. There is NO FORGIVENESS whatsoever when it comes to student loans.
  • jigsawxyouth
    jigsawxyouth Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    It really grinds my gears when I see people who have no effect on my life riding around on scooters.
  • Andi67
    Andi67 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    This is one of the worst threads I have ever read, especially on a support group page! Most of you are just plain ignorant and mean, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Being fat is a lot more complicated that being LAZY! Sheesh...this is what humankind is coming to? I'm appalled!!!
  • sassyjae21
    Options
    Ok let me go a little different way....I think when you get disabilty...you can also get food stamps I THINK.....if that is the case...should the food you can get with that assistance be monitored?? I know with pregnant women who get WIC, they have to only get certain things and its all healthy such as they have to get natural cereals and nothing with sugar.....

Yes.

And this is why:

When a person gets SSDI (disability), they have to prove medically that they have a disability. They have provided medical records, been to medical or mental health professionals, sat in front of a judge, probably hired a lawyer, and proved beyond a shadow of a doubt they are disabled and cannot work. And yes, SSDI does open the door for several other programs, including SNAP, Vocational Rehabilitation HUD, etc. But people who receive SSDI have spent easily 2-3 years proving they are disabled. It is not an easy process in any way, shape, or form. So yes, you should STFU because obviously you have never worked within the system and have zero idea of what you are speaking.

Well, that puts my fears to rest, knowing that the system is foolproof, and no-one could ever possibly game the system to their advantage.

Any system can be gamed. Student Loans are gamed all the time. However, they are never really brought into question.

You've never known anybody who "went to school" for the six years they spent drunk?

Oh. I don't care about that. I thought it was being stated that there was a way you could get out of paying them back.

Bankruptcy.

Nope Bankruptcy is not going to work. One still has to pay student loan. There is NO FORGIVENESS whatsoever when it comes to student loans.

That's not true. I work for the state. There IS a loan forgiveness program. If you work with the state for a certain amount of years and pay on them for a certain amount of time, they'll wipe them for you.

There are ways around them. But it's not easy. There are a lot of hoops one has to jump through, but it can be done.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    The world does not contain the necessary amount of salve to treat all the butthurt in this thread.

I so want to read all replies later. please please please still be here, thread...

You missed out there been some pretty funny threads all this week.

I gloss over funny. I come back for pertinent to my interests.

You're doing it wrong. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

QFT.

I just *had* to stay at the fancy school, even though my parents started making more money, and I was getting less and less financial aid. *sigh*

So pay the minimum until you die. You get to take the interest off your taxes anyway.

I believe that the original point was one of gaming the system.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    This is one of the worst threads I have ever read, especially on a support group page! Most of you are just plain ignorant and mean, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Being fat is a lot more complicated that being LAZY! Sheesh...this is what humankind is coming to? I'm appalled!!!

You are angry but to me this is entertaining like how ridiculous will people be today.
  • LazerMole
    LazerMole Posts: 99 Member
    Options

QFT.

Best part of this is that my private loans do not take into account that I'm also paying on government loans, and vice versa. So in their eyes, I make enough money to cover their "minimum payment". Because obviously I don't have to pay for anything else. :)

I mean, I'd be vastly wealthy if I didn't have to eat food or want to live indoors with plumbing.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

Yes.

And this is why:

Bankruptcy.

That's not true. I work for the state. There IS a loan forgiveness program. If you work with the state for a certain amount of years and pay on them for a certain amount of time, they'll wipe them for you.

There are ways around them. But it's not easy. There are a lot of hoops one has to jump through, but it can be done.

PSELF is for any government agency and not just state. Also, it was established with consideration of the salary gap between public sector and private sector job. With the state, I make 24k. In the private sector, I would be making around 40k.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    cute-animals-pictures-hedgehog-floating-water-animated-gif.gif
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    The world does not contain the necessary amount of salve to treat all the butthurt in this thread.

I so want to read all replies later. please please please still be here, thread...

You missed out there been some pretty funny threads all this week.

I gloss over funny. I come back for pertinent to my interests.

Really?????:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    autobots_transform_and_roll_out-89247.gif
  • jnichel
    jnichel Posts: 4,553 Member
    Options
    Cool, the feeding frenzy and thread drift is going to roll this thread.
  • sassyjae21
    Options

QFT.

I believe that the original point was one of gaming the system.

Yes and then I chimed in and asked if there was a way a person could get around paying them back.
    Then someone commented in filing bankruptcy.
    Someone else said no, they are not exempt from bankruptcy.
    You said that is overstated.
    Then that person again said "pay the minimum until you die"
    Then you said: Not unless you make enough to pay them back.

It was one big circle.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    Options
    1234792_o.gif?w=640