Grrrr....Hubby sabatoge

Options
So My Hubby 2 months ago started a gluten free diet. He has had medical problems for years. So I was the only one working and I bought the expensive food,Did all the cooking and so forth. He got feeling so much better. we were able to do things together. Then I come home and he goes why are you here. He has a pizza from pizza Hut. He knows I gave up red meat and processed foods. Have had no gluten since we began except for my crackers. And now our weekend is shot. Am I wrong to feel like he lied cause he thought I would not be home-cheated-why did I bother and wrong Cause I refuse to care for him if he gets sick or develops worse conditions. If he is not willing why should I? Thanks needed to vent.

Replies

• RangerRN507
    RangerRN507 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    good story
  • CanadaChick74
    CanadaChick74 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would personally be upset about funding a special diet that is costly, only to find out that they aren't sticking with it. Maybe it was a one time binge or maybe he's not been honest all along. That's something you really need to discuss with him.

When I was a teenager, my stepfather was really overweight. My mother paid for a really expensive diet program (shakes/meal replacements) and he lost a lot of weight. It started to creep back on and my mother found out he was sneaking food like crazy. She was furious at the wasted money.

If it were me, I wouldn't waste my money until he's ready to really commit himself to following the diet he should be following. And I would be stressing the need for honestly. That's what we count on our partners for.

Good luck :)
  • twinkles2121
    twinkles2121 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I don't think that a few slices of pizza is going to kill your whole weekend, That being said, he is an adult (presumably), if he wants to eat gluten and feel crappy after, so be it.

Just worry about you :wink:
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I would personally be upset about funding a special diet that is costly, only to find out that they aren't sticking with it. Maybe it was a one time binge or maybe he's not been honest all along. That's something you really need to discuss with him.

When I was a teenager, my stepfather was really overweight. My mother paid for a really expensive diet program (shakes/meal replacements) and he lost a lot of weight. It started to creep back on and my mother found out he was sneaking food like crazy. She was furious at the wasted money.

If it were me, I wouldn't waste my money until he's ready to really commit himself to following the diet he should be following. And I would be stressing the need for honestly. That's what we count on our partners for.

Good luck :)

I totally agree with this post.

What I'm confused about, OP, is why did you change your eating habits in the specific way that you did...to support your husband who needed to make the same changes for medical reasons?
  • Bexchubb
    Bexchubb Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Oh, how infuriating! Id be mad as well. But dont let his issues ruin your hard work- its taken me a long time to realise that my OH is not going to join me in this weight loss journey, especially if I try to push him into it- it just makes him go completely the other way. If he wants to commit, brilliant, if he doesnt- let it go. Do it for you, not as a couple. Hope that didnt sound too harsh :happy:
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Let him enjoy his pizza. You don't have to eat it. Me, I'm evil and would be secretly hoping it wasn't gluten free pizza. I also wouldn't change how I eat because my husband is allergic to gluten, unless he gets sick by gluten being airborne.
  • pittdan77
    pittdan77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sounds pretty upsetting. I wouldn't waste any more time worrying about it. People have to want to get better or feel healthy. You can't make them.
  • SweetJoanne
    SweetJoanne Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    very sad you were doing everything to help him. Wonder if he had been doing this all along or if it was a one time mistake. I would have a long chat with him if he wants to cheat then I wouldn't encourage him any more, just look after yourself and when if not already you look amazing he will be jealous
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    very sad you were doing everything to help him. Wonder if he had been doing this all along or if it was a one time mistake. I would have a long chat with him if he wants to cheat then I wouldn't encourage him any more, just look after yourself and when if not already you look amazing he will be jealous

He cheated. He wlll always be a cheater. If he's the kind of dude who likes enjoying dirty little secrets while she is at work, it doesn't matter how amazing she looks. there will always be a willing pizza somewhere.
  • BlueButterfly94
    BlueButterfly94 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Honestly I would be frustrated too! But you should talk to him about it. If he doesn't want to stick to the diet himself, I would say that's okay, but if he's not respecting that you want to do the diet (i.e. offering you foods like that etc) then you seriously need to talk.
  • SemperAnticus1643
    SemperAnticus1643 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Story of my life with my ex husband. Only it wasn't food. It was alcohol. That's why he's the EX husband now. :)

You said "rant over" so I assume that you feel better now. I recommend telling your husband how you feel about what he did. It's off your chest at that point. Ball is in his court on how he wants to handle it. Good luck!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Okay....this is why I work solo. And why I don't do restrictive diets.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

He cheated. He wlll always be a cheater. If he's the kind of dude who likes enjoying dirty little secrets while she is at work, it doesn't matter how amazing she looks. there will always be a willing pizza somewhere.

In for willing pizza...and maybe an unwillling calzone.
  • karenMcMillan0712
    karenMcMillan0712 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I don't think that a few slices of pizza is going to kill your whole weekend, That being said, he is an adult (presumably), if he wants to eat gluten and feel crappy after, so be it.

Just worry about you :wink:

I have to disagree-He will be in the can every fifteen minutes for the entire weekend. So yes there will be no fun outside our home
  • bushytail3
    bushytail3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Let me start off by saying that I have been gluten intolerant all my life. I was lucky that my pediatrician diagnosed me properly in the beginning which has saved me a ton of anguish. However, eating gluten free hasn't always been easy, and yes, I struggled with "cheating" many times growing up. Now that I am older, I am much better with not cheating, although I do occasionally have a bite of something I know has gluten in it....and of course pay the price later.
    Perhaps you can ask your husband WHY he decided to cheat on the diet. Making that transition to being gluten free can be very, very hard for some people. Even I struggle with it sometimes even though I have been eating this way my entire life. So many times I have smelled pizza or fresh doughnuts and thought that it would be so good to be "normal" for just ONE day. To be able to just eat whatever I want without consequences. To just walk into a doughnut shop and eat anything I want! I read an article once about people who are (medically) gluten free suffering more from depression than those who have no gluten intolerance because you can no longer just go to a friend's house for dinner without a huge hassle, or just go to any restaurant without asking a ton of questions, etc etc. Trust me, going down the depression road due to dietary restrictions you have no control over is THE WORST!!!

Also, let me point out that you do NOT have to buy all the expensive gluten free stuff! If I had to buy all that expensive stuff I wouldn't have made it through college OR graduate school :-) Much of the "specialty" gluten free products are filled with unhealthy ingredients and lots of carbs and calories. Just eat normal, fresh food! Meats are super easy, veggies, fruits, rice, quinoa, etc etc. Yes, if you want pasta you will need to purchase it gluten-free, and bread you will either have to buy the mix and make it yourself, or buy it prepacked, but there are SO many other options out there! Example: rather than make sandwiches, make wraps....and rather than using a flour wrap, just use a giant piece of lettuce! Just have to be creative!

I wish you good luck with this whole thing, and remember, making this transition isn't easy, so maybe get down to the root of why the cheating happened, and try to be understanding :-)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

In for willing pizza...and maybe an unwillling calzone.

How YOU doin'?
  • karenMcMillan0712
    Options
    Story of my life with my ex husband. Only it wasn't food. It was alcohol. That's why he's the EX husband now. :)

You said "rant over" so I assume that you feel better now. I recommend telling your husband how you feel about what he did. It's off your chest at that point. Ball is in his court on how he wants to handle it. Good luck!

I did talk to him- Just was hurt-He will do what he will do. I just wont try so hard. And we will see what happens.
  • karenMcMillan0712
    Options
    Let me start off by saying that I have been gluten intolerant all my life. I was lucky that my pediatrician diagnosed me properly in the beginning which has saved me a ton of anguish. However, eating gluten free hasn't always been easy, and yes, I struggled with "cheating" many times growing up. Now that I am older, I am much better with not cheating, although I do occasionally have a bite of something I know has gluten in it....and of course pay the price later.
    Perhaps you can ask your husband WHY he decided to cheat on the diet. Making that transition to being gluten free can be very, very hard for some people. Even I struggle with it sometimes even though I have been eating this way my entire life. So many times I have smelled pizza or fresh doughnuts and thought that it would be so good to be "normal" for just ONE day. To be able to just eat whatever I want without consequences. To just walk into a doughnut shop and eat anything I want! I read an article once about people who are (medically) gluten free suffering more from depression than those who have no gluten intolerance because you can no longer just go to a friend's house for dinner without a huge hassle, or just go to any restaurant without asking a ton of questions, etc etc. Trust me, going down the depression road due to dietary restrictions you have no control over is THE WORST!!!

Also, let me point out that you do NOT have to buy all the expensive gluten free stuff! If I had to buy all that expensive stuff I wouldn't have made it through college OR graduate school :-) Much of the "specialty" gluten free products are filled with unhealthy ingredients and lots of carbs and calories. Just eat normal, fresh food! Meats are super easy, veggies, fruits, rice, quinoa, etc etc. Yes, if you want pasta you will need to purchase it gluten-free, and bread you will either have to buy the mix and make it yourself, or buy it prepacked, but there are SO many other options out there! Example: rather than make sandwiches, make wraps....and rather than using a flour wrap, just use a giant piece of lettuce! Just have to be creative!

I wish you good luck with this whole thing, and remember, making this transition isn't easy, so maybe get down to the root of why the cheating happened, and try to be understanding :-)

Agree-He wanted to see. It was just felt like he was hiding it and we have always been Honest with each other.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

No kidding. Margherita is the tasty little number that's been visiting my house. Mid week. When the husband's working.

Ummmm. Nevermind.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

"How you do 'n?"
    DSC08167.JPG