Water? Really?

Options
2»

Replies

• gelar93
    gelar93 Posts: 160
    Options
    So I went to the Dr yesterday and asked why I was so stalled? She asked how much water I was drinking. I dont drink water. Hate it, but I do get liquids of about 24 oz a day. She says if I drink at least 8 glasses of WATER a day, the weight will fall off. Is this true? I know I am always dehydrated, but 8 glasses? Wow.

Yes, I've noticed when dehydrated I tend to feel very bloated and stop losing weight (or even put on a couple of pounds) because your body needs water to get the waste and toxins out of your body and if there's not enough water, your body would hold onto the old water for vital functions. 24oz of water is nothing, please drink more.

If you hate the taste of water like I do, try flavored water or just make fruit fused water
  • gelar93
    Options
    You HATE water? Seriously? Put on some big girl panties, buy a water filter to help with this imagined horrific taste, and just drink your water.

There are a lot of people who don't like water. I'm one of those. Unless I have flavored water I get dehydrated because I have to make myself drink and it's just only a little sip at a time. So I end up drinking maybe 2 glasses at most throughout the day.
  • BITEME_GRRR
    BITEME_GRRR Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I think I just got dumber reading this thread
  • jmansmfp
    jmansmfp Posts: 2
    Options
    I can't believe so many people here hate water.

Ahh...a generation raised on Coca Cola and McDonalds.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Bump
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    When I was trying to lose weight the first time around (120lbs overweight), the dieticians in my department swore if i drank the recommended amount of water per day I would lose 2lbs a week. I tried it and sure enough, without changing anything else about the way I ate, I lost 2 lbs per week for almost 3 months. Soon I was making other healthier choices and the weight continued to fall off.

I got out of the habit of drinking water and about 40 of it has come back. I am back on the bandwagon...1 gallon per day (start with half and work your way up), in addition to other healthy choices.
  • Emeryeon
    Emeryeon Posts: 61
    Options
    how can anyone hate water it literally tastes like nothing
  • gelar93
    Options
    I can't believe so many people here hate water.

Just FYI, I haven't had either pop or McDonalds in years. I absolutely hate both.
  • tarcotti
    tarcotti Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I can see why people don't like water. Frankly, I don't understand why everyone else doesn't understand! Its flavorless! Ugh! I can only drink it plain with meals and while exercising. Otherwise, I have to add something to it :D

The only thing I'd day to the OP is, if your dehydrated, drink more water (not soda) but water! Add fruit or something else if you need to. Listen to your body is good advice.
  • FRiNADA
    FRiNADA Posts: 67
    Options
    I honestly can't understand why people dislike the taste of water! To me it's so great and refreshing! Maybe you should try using those water flavor drops or powders to make drinking it a little easier? 8 glasses of water is the minimum you should be drinking more depending on your weight and height.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    It's true.. I try to have AT LEAST 100 FLoz daily.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with your doctor, unless the additional fluid intake causes you to eat less.
  • MrTolerable
    MrTolerable Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with your doctor, unless the additional fluid intake causes you to eat less.

maybe he would feel more full and naturally get to a maintenance or caloric deficit?

idk.. I don't understand the doctors reasoning either.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

maybe he would feel more full and naturally get to a maintenance or caloric deficit?

idk.. I don't understand the doctors reasoning either.

Yep, that's basically what I was getting at with eating less.

As an aside, I also don't believe it's necessary to exclusively drink plain water. There's nothing wrong with hydrating yourself through other means provided that you're able to adequately hydrate yourself. I drink coffee, I drink some diet soda here and there, I drink other flavored beverages/etc. I also drink some plain water but not much.

I've never seen any reason why it has to be plain water, and if people prefer to use other means then it doesn't make sense to me that we have people who try to convince them otherwise. That's really only going to reduce enjoyment.
  • Rianne90
    Rianne90 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    24 oz is just shy of 710 ml, not even a liter of water (fluids), how do you not walk around with a massive headache every day?
    I don't think drinking water will make you magically lose weight (though apparently some anecdotal evidence exists), but it will make you feel fuller, and that might cause you to eat less.
    For me personally there are 2 major benefits to drinking enough water (for me 2-3 liters is enough, roughly 67-101 oz., YMMV) are regular bowel movements and nice (not dry/flaky/itchy) skin.

Whatever floats your boat obviously, but I can't imagine how drinking 24 oz. (not water) can work for anyone in the long term..
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Getting up to a minimum of 64 ounces per day was incredibly difficult for me. I didn't hate water or anything, but for someone who rarely drank more than 30 ounces a day, that just seemed like so much! I worked on it a couple years ago, and now it's just daily routine. I prefer to drink it chilled or with ice, don't like stale room temp water. Now and then I also like adding lemon juice or infusing it with fruit. I keep this little bright blue (eye catching color) 8 ounce cup in the kitchen near the water dispenser on the fridge, and every time I go in to the kitchen for something, I fill up that little cup and knock back 8 ounces. Usually by the end of the day I've drank near 64 ounces just doing that. Keeping a water bottle in the car and at work usually ensures I will drink another 20 or so ounces while I'm out and about.
  • ALKNica
    ALKNica Posts: 50
    Options
    In my opinion, there is water, and then there's good tasting water.

Years ago I went on Spring Break to the New Orleans area. The water from the tap tasted mildly of sulfur. Up until then, I was perplexed when people said they didn't like water. I boiled the water and cooled it in order to make it taste more palatable.

Water from plastic bottles can sometimes taste strange to me too. I prefer using filtered pitchers such as Pure or Brita.

Even then if you have stinky things in your fridge such as garlic or fish, the water sometimes will get those tastes in it.

In the Kansas area, when the reservoirs get low, the water starts tasting like algae.

So the very many different reasons why water might not be to someone's liking are numerous.

If the issue is just the "plain" taste, the options have been outlined by other posters.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    Is your doctor named Dr. Oz? As long as you're drinking, you're getting water. Juice, soda, tea... they're all nearly 100% water. You need to be mindful of any calories, sugar, acid, etc in those things, but they all do a good job of hydrating you. The only beverage that actually dehydrates you is alcohol.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is an idiot, and that WebMD article is stupid.

Unless you are overseeing the health of the OP or have a better insight into the OP's medical history then your advice is just as stupid.