have you lost 50-60 pounds? how did you do it ?

Options
im trying to get motivated into losing the weight that ive gained im 18 years old, 5'2 tall, and weigh around 200 pounds now. i need to lose 50 to 60 pounds as soon as i can i dont want to take a full year to do so. i was thinking if i ate only lean meats and fish and veggies if that will help ?

im a size 18 but ive compared to other size 18 women and im much smaller than they are my bottom half isnt as big all around which i find weird.. i do have big hips and thighs and alot of my fat is on my stomach.

i prefer working out at the gym but havent had the cash to join but will have it soon since i stated working again.. any exercise ideas that will help me lose the fat without equipment ?

sorry if my stuff was all over the place... thank you for looking

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    I've lost about 40 pounds at this point.

The key is to consistently make the right choices, and eat less then you burn on a daily basis. It took you more than a year to hit 200#, so it's ok if it takes more than a year to come off.

You're young, your body will rebound quickly, but it will take hard work.

If you want, you can restrict your eating to lean meats and vegetables only. Or you could eat normally, but in smaller portions, it's all up to what will work best for you. At the end of the day, it's simply a matter of eating less than you burn.

Oh, and since you asked. Working out doesn't lose fat. Eating less does. Working out will build a better body though, and there are a lot of options available that use equipment, or don't use equipment.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter *what* you eat. You can eat nothing but lean meats and veggies and actually gain weight. It's down to how many calories you consume vs how many you burn off.

As far as exercise, I'm a huge fan of Jillian Michaels' DVDs. There are several on YouTube which require little to no equipment. :) Good luck!
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race...
  • moya1219
    moya1219 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    it only took me about 6 months to put it all on actually.. thank you

i dont eat much but its what i eat thats the problem .. also being hungry all the time sucks
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I'm on the verge of a 65lb. loss (originally it was 85 but I'm taking off a significant gain), and it's a combination of good food choices and exercise. End of story.
  • sarah2954
    sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    ME! We have similar stats (but I'm 32). I'm 5'2", started at 198. For three months, I ate 1200 calories a day. Then I began running and cycling, and kept my net at 1200, eating back all my exercise cals.Took me 7 months to drop 74 pounds.

I found it hard to maintain on just calories in/calories out, so recently I've paid more attention to nutrition. I've eliminated processed foods, grains, artificial sweeteners, and most sugars. Also eliminated carbonated beverages.

ETA: Since eliminating processed foods/artifical sweeteners/grains, I'm never hungry :)
  • moya1219
    moya1219 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    ill go ahead and check them out, thanks !
  • Chris_58
    Chris_58 Posts: 32
    Options
    I lost a little over 70lbs, I was just consistent in being in a calorie deficit, and I logged in every day and kept my diary updated.

I also get constantly hungry on some days, I think the trick is to occupy yourself and you won't even think about food.
  • joecmoore1
    joecmoore1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Its math. Calories in vs. calories you burn. Gotta get into a deficit if you want to burn fat reserves. Don't go below 1200 cal per day. 1600 for dudes.
  • Tla0126
    Tla0126 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, you can take a peak. I eat at a calorie deficit and work out. That's the secret!

PS - I eat out A LOT!
  • DrJenO
    DrJenO Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm down 51 pounds, but some of that was when I first signed on a year and a half ago. The rest (40 pounds) has been in the last 9 mos (since early October 2013).

I know you say you don't want it to take a year, but you really need to consider taking it slow. You will develop habits you can sustain for the rest of your life, rather than making temporary changes that will cause you to gain all the weight back once you go back to your old ways.

I speak from experience. About 10 years ago, I went on Atkins and lost 50 pounds in just under 5 mos. I was skinny-ish, looked great, but the weight crept right back on when I went off the diet.

Good luck!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2 and started at 211 lbs. It took me about 10 months to lose 57 lbs. I ate anywhere between 1500-1900 calories, depending on how much I exercised.

I did Zumba, Swimming, Hiking & Walking.

Give it time. Take the time to care for yourself properly. It's a marathon, not a race. Find the appropriate calorie intake for you, move more and the weight will come off.

And lastly, read http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • BrittanyMG3
    BrittanyMG3 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've lost 70lbs sinceJanuary 28th. :smile: I was in a pants size 20 and now in a size 7. I started off by sticking to a 1200 calorie diet, lean meats, veggies, fruit, whole grains, no added salts (i hold water like crazy) I cut down my portion sizes to a normal serving size instead of a normal brittany size:wink::tongue: I also replaced sugar with stevia in the raw. those changes alone did a lot for my body.
    after I was used to the eating change I started out with zumba 3X per week. Later I started an awesome program called "21 day fix" and I have been following the meal guide only since march, and I only just recently started p90x3!
    I'm not sure if that helps you, but maybe it will. :smile: the most important thing is that I didn't give up this time, I held on even when I was frustrated and it was SO worth it! :happy: You've got this! it will take some patience and hard work but you can do it!
    Good luck!! If you are looking for a friend to add, feel free :smile:
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    im trying to get motivated into losing the weight that ive gained im 18 years old, 5'2 tall, and weigh around 200 pounds now. i need to lose 50 to 60 pounds as soon as i can i dont want to take a full year to do so. i was thinking if i ate only lean meats and fish and veggies if that will help ?

It's not necessary, and depending on your personality and food preferences it might make it harder, although that really depends on you. I'd get bored or feel restricted, although I eat lots of fish and other leaner meats and veggies in addition to other foods.

You are only 18--given your stats you can probably lose 50 lbs in less than a year while eating at a reasonable calorie level. Your metabolism should be a good bit faster than someone my age (44, 5'3). I've lost 55 lbs in less than 6 months, and you are starting about where I was (correcting for height I was still a bit heavier, but roughly similar).

Basically, count calories and try to eat an overall balanced, healthy diet that is within your calories. MFP will figure that out for you, if you like (remember that you can eat back exercise calories), or you can check out one of the TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) calculators and cut calories from that number. I started at 1200 because I wasn't doing a lot of exercise and am older, but now that I've ramped up I eat more (sometimes significantly more) typically. If you check out my diary you can see I eat a range of foods. Like I said above, I do tend to eat a lot of protein (meat and dairy and eggs, especially) and vegetables and fruit, but I also eat potatoes and other starchy carbs and ice cream in moderation, etc.

One important thing to remember is that you will need to be consistent for a long enough time to get the results you want, and if you do something too extreme it's unlikely to be sustainable for that time period. If it's sustainable, it goes by much faster than you'd think, especially since you start feeling really good well before hitting goal. I'm at just below 165 now, which is significantly higher than the weight I think I look best at, but I feel great and so much lighter--you really don't need to think that it's not worth it until or unless you make some specific goal.

I do lots of outdoor cardio--biking and running, mainly, but there are DVDs and internet options for workouts of the cardio or circuit training sort, and there are tons of bodyweight exercises that you can be doing also. Check out You Are Your Own Gym.
  • jessieleah
    jessieleah Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it has taken me nearly a year. In my experience, if I try to tell myself I need to lose some exorbitant amount of weight in some short amount of time, it just frustrates me when it doesn't happen and I get bummed out and give up and fall off the wagon. It wasn't until I adopted a new outlook that things came together for me.

Yes, I'm impatient like most people. I would LOVE to be a size 4 tomorrow. That would be amazing! But it's not realistic. What's realistic is eating healthier and exercising and letting the weight come off as fast or slow as it wants. I know if I keep eating healthy and watching my calories and exercising, I WILL lose the weight eventually. So I do my thing, sit back and enjoy the ride. I'd be lying if I said I don't get frustrated at a slow loss rate sometimes, but in the end, I know I'll get where I want eventually. A year isn't really that much time. And when I get there, I get to spend the rest of my life enjoying my new body! And the healthy habits I picked up along the way will help. :)
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Patience is key here.

Tips:

- food scale will help with accurately determining portion sizes and will make your logging more accurate
    - I'm not against eating out. I would just say limit it. Typically it's not that easy to fit in unless you've had an extremely active day.
    - make sure to accurately set your goals here. Select the closest activity level to what you do without exercise and then choose 1lb - 1.5lb loss
    - log your exercise calorie burns
    - eat about 50-75 % of those calories back. MFP is designed for you to eat your exercise calories back. Since MFP and exercise machines tend to overestimate the calorie burns for most people, it is recommended to only eat some of them back.
    - In terms of exercise: I suggest both cardio and some sort of strength training.
    You don't have to go all out on the strength training with heavy weights if you don't want to. Just doing exercises with body weight, resistance bands or low weight dumbbells will be beneficial. It will help you maintain lean body mass (your existing muscles) and give you a leaner look. The more muscle you have, the more calories you will burn in a day so you want to keep as much as possible. Oh and don't worry, it takes a lot of effort for women to put on muscle, so you aren't going to bulk up like a man without some serious effort.
    Cardio is great too. It is good for heart health, endurance, and will help burn some extra calories.- in terms of calories: eating too few (generally under 1000) can be just as bad for your health as eating too many...please keep this in mind. I'm not talking about "holding onto fat", I'm referring to actual medical problems that can cause permanent damage
    - food is yummy. There are lots of things you can eat that are lower in calories but will help you stay full longer. Lean meats and veggies are great. Don't forget fruits. You can still have a serving of ice cream or anything else you like, just keep in mind they aren't as filling so you don't want to fill your day with them. Moderation is the key.
    - Another thing you should keep in mind: Weight isn't everything
    I'm 100% serious in this statement. It is possible to lose inches (which isn't that what we all want, to fit into smaller clothes) and not lose a lot of weight. There are women who use this site who have started lifting weights, gained a bit of weight, and ended up in smaller clothing.
    :heart: Weight – So many things can affect weight, because of this it shouldn’t be the only way you track your progress. Things to keep in mind:
    :drinker: Always use the same scale – Different scales can show different weights. You will get the most accurate number for tracking when using the same scale.
    :drinker: Don’t move the scale – Carpet, uneven flooring, different types of flooring…can all affect the weight on the scale. So when you weigh, you want it to be approximately the same spot for the most accurate number for tracking.
    :drinker: 3500 calories – To gain 1lb of fat you need to be over maintenance by 3500 calories.
    :drinker: Muscle Repair – Muscles will hold onto water to repair, because of this it is not uncommon to see a gain for a little while after a workout. This weight comes right back off when they are done repairing.
    :drinker: Sodium – Can cause you to retain water. This can also be amplified if you don’t drink enough to flush it out of your system. This is also another reason for temporary weight gain.
    :drinker: Water – Not drinking enough water can actually cause you to retain water. Recommended amount is 8 cups or 64oz. I drink 64 oz to 128 oz of water a day. It doesn’t have to be plain water either. I like to flavor mine with crystal light or tea.
    :drinker: Time of day – Your weight can fluctuate throughout the day. So for the most accurate tracking, you want to weigh at around the same time.
    :drinker: Frequency – This is up to you, but if small fluctuations bother you than only weigh once a week or less.
    :drinker: Lightest Weight – Will be naked, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom
    :drinker: Multiple times a Day – Don’t Do It. As I said before, your weight will fluctuate throughout the day. What you eat, what you’re wearing, ect will all affect weight.
    :drinker: Clothes – If you weigh with clothing on, keep in mind that the scale will show your weight plus the weight of your clothes. (Jeans are heavy)
    :drinker: TOM - A lot of women will retain water around their TOM, but its just temporary and will go away.

Take measurements. Even if the scale doesn't seem to be going in the right direction, if your measurements are going down than you are losing fat and making progress.

I'm just starting to get back into the swing of things (currently 6wks postpartum). My ticker used to show around a 90lb loss, but I got pregnant and gained about 40lbs or so. Some of the weight was lost before joining MFP. In about 6 months last year I was able to lose around 47lbs. Keep in mind though, fat is easier to put on than it is to get rid of.

Here is a progress thread I posted last year before I found out I was pregnant:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1100730-191-days-of-mfp-47-8lbs-lost-35-2lbs-to-go?hl=191#posts-16987716
  • Crozinoz
    Crozinoz Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My ticker says I lost 2kg (roughly 4 lbs) and that's true because I've just re-started my weight loss again after floundering for a year. However prior to this and under a different profile, I lost 57 pounds (about 28 kilos) and did that in about 6 - 8 months normally averaging around a kilo a week. Sometimes more, sometimes less.
    I has some key things I did and I'll be doing them again this time (I have 15 kg to lose this time). I'm great at losing weight but I suck at maintaining it! Once I hit my goal I had no idea what to do to stay there....and now I'm here again!! Lol
    So - key things:

1. At least 8 glasses of water a day...more if you can! You'll be a toilet hugger for a while but that's OK, your body will adjust to it. Give it time! Your water is important - it will flush toxins from your system, combat sodium and clear your skin! Water is sooooo important! Its vital so make that a priority.

2. Protein in your meals! Make sure you have protein in every meal if you can! I found that 5 - 6 smaller meals in a day worked better than 3 larger meals a day. Also make breakfast your biggest meal. Its your kick start for the day. Then taper off your calorie intake during the day and have a light dinner. When you are losing body fat you don't need as much energy while you are sleeping....that's why its better to burn your calories during the day.

3. Exercise every day. You don't have to turn into a gym junky lol. Just make sure you get at the very least 1/2 an hour of walking in every day without fail, and ensure its at a good fast pace to get your heart rate up. Use fast music to keep a good quick pace and walk to the beat....it helps! :-)

4. Make healthy food choices and watch your portion control. Don't eat more calories than your body can burn off in a day. Eat lean meat, Greek yoghurt, fish, berries and melons, oats, eggs (careful with yolks though...high in cholesterol), and foods like that. Dont buy processed foods. Shop around the outside of the supermarket as that's where most of the healthy stuff is. The processed stuff tends to be in the middle up the aisles. A friend once told me "if it grows on a tree, in or on the ground, or in the sea, eat it!"

I've just started doing this again myself this week, so if you'd like some support in your journey feel free to add me! Best of luck to you! :-)
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    The key is to consistently make the right choices, and eat less then you burn on a daily basis. <---- This!

Find workouts that you enjoy that will help too if you hate going to the gym don't, if you hate running don't. However, positive motivation works as well, if people say you can't run- PROVE THEM WRONG.

Eat foods that you like.

REMEMBER YOUR STOMACH IS NOT A WASTE BASKET.
  • Red_Nationhtx
    Red_Nationhtx Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    ORIGINALLY I LOST ABOUT 60LBS
    IN ABOUT 6-7 MONTHS
    I TOOK OUT ALL RED MEAT
    NO FAST FOOD EXCEPT FOR SUBWAY AND ATE ALOT OF WHOLE GRAIN WHEAT
    NO WHITE BREAD

BUT SADLY I STARTED GAINING BACK DUE TO ME PUTTIN ALL THIS BACK INTO MY DAILY DIET

AND IF I DID EAT SOMETHING BAD I JUST TOOK A LITTLE PIECE JUST TO GET THE TASTE

I STARTED AT ABOUT 330 IN AUG. OF 2012

BY DEC. OF 2012 I WAS ABOUT 285

AND BUT FEBUARY I WAS ABOUT 265LBS

AND AFTER THAT I REALLY COULDNT LOSE ANYMORE

BUT BY AUG. OF 2013 I WAS 255 AND I DID ALL THIS WITHOUT EXERCISE

I DIDNT START EXERCISING TILL ABOUT MARCH OF 2013

AND I DIDNT COUNT CALORIES I JUST MADE THE RIGHT CHOICES IT CAN BE DONE

SO IM TRYING THIS METHOD AGAIN
  • dice80
    dice80 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I started at 314 in April of 2015. I lost 16 pounds the wrong way by skipping breakfast and lunch and walking. I then started seeing a doctor continued my walking and began to eat a high protein, low carb diet and I am down approximately 56 pounds. If you need motivation, support or tips, let me know. You can friend me too.