Avoiding waste with fresh vegetables - any hints?

Options
2»

Replies

• sistrsprkl
    sistrsprkl Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any veg can be used in a smoothie or soup. That"s how I use up mine.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    When veggies and fruits are past their prime, I feed them to my backyard chickens. I also feed them the scraps and trimmings from when I do cook. This time of year they love melon rinds and old cucumbers. Makes my bag of chicken feed last longer.

If you don't have chickens... I dunno. Maybe get some chickens?
  • Voww
    Voww Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Carrots keep a week or more in the crisper part of my fridge as long as they were dry when they went in, often they're damp so I lay em out on kitchen towel for a few hours before storing loose stood upright on their root end on a piece of dry kitchen towel.

Broccoli keeps up to a week if I cut a sliver off the stem and leave it in a glass of water for an hour or so, if it's a bit limp it will take the water up and firm up again. Then I store in fridge in a plastic bag with air-holes but careful not to let it touch the broc as condensation will start a bit of mould, every couple of days I take it out of the bag to wipe off the condensation and blot the broc with kit towel before returning to fridge.

Round lettuce and Little Gem type will take up water too so I cut a sliver off base and leave in a shallow bowl with a little water, then store in fridge in the base of a 2ltr ice-cream tub covered with a plastic bag with air-holes.
  • cokefloat1
    cokefloat1 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I found the best way to not waste any food was to plan the weeks meals ahead. If in the supermarket the products were going to go bad before I (I say I, I mean my other half) cooked the meal then I'd wait to buy those ingredients later on in the week.

Also saves a hell of a lot of money as you're not buying all the crap that you might normally...
  • waterboat1956
    Options
    Yes!

1.) Place a large kettle of water on the stove on low to medium heat.
    2.) Prep ALL your fresh veggies in the manner that you find advantageous*
    3.) Place ALL scraps and cut-aways into your kettle of water - keep it at a low simmer (add a pinch or two of good sea salt for flavor and to help the water boil)
    4.) Continue to fill your kettle with:
    Carrot tops, veggie skins, perhaps mushroom stems, the "white" part inside all your peppers, etc.

* Some people like carrots with skins on, some don't, etc.

Please consider buying only organic produce from your local PSA, or Farmer's market. It does no one any good to buy "organic" produce that had to fly 4,000 miles in a jet to reach you! Scrub the veggies good and clean before you prep them.

Hints on storage:

1.) Try to buy only what you can eat within 5-7 days.
    a.) Try shopping with a friend, prep together for the social benefit, and you can have twice the diversity of produce ( or three times if you ask two friends to join you)
    2.) Go to www.fenugreen.com and learn about (and purchase) "Fresh Paper", which keeps produce 2-4x longer. It works. Trust me.
    3.) If you want produce to ripen, put it in a brown bag. Conversely, do not use brown bags on "almost" ripe produce that you are trying to keep longer. You can simply dump your prepped veggies in your bottom fridge drawer and place a Fresh Paper sheet in the bin; no need for bags.
    4.) Keep condensation at bay by placing a very clean, fresh towel in the bin along with your Fresh Paper.
    5.) If lettuce needs cleaning, do it right a way; wash it, spin it; empty water out of spinner; repeat until there is no more water in the spinner. Then (yes, you're getting the hang of it!), store you leafy produce (not only lettuce, but spinach, kale, etc.) in the spinner itself, with a small clean towel and a Fresh Paper.
    6.) Do NOT wash berries until right before you are going to eat them; they will spoil over night.
    7.) Consider getting a food dryer to handle over flow on any fruit you have bought. Found a sale on grapes at .89 cents a pound and can't resist buying three pounds? Clean grapes, pat dry, place in your food dryer, and in two days you will have homemade raisins that will knock you socks off!
    8.) Consider blanching, then freezing your "extra my eyes are too big for my head" produce. This is best done with a vacuum pack machine. First, bring a big pot of water to a roiling boil. Then gently place ALL your veggies in; this will cause the water to cool down. When the water comes back to a rolling boil again, spoon your produce out right away and place on a clean towel. Pat dry. When the produce is bone dry, wrap it in saran wrap and place inside a good quality zip lock bag. Always mark the date! This is the "poor man's" version. Better yet, when your material is bone dry, place it in a vacuum bag and run thru your machine to create a seal.

There's lot's more I can think of, but I'll finish with this. You can save that veggie broth in your fridge for up to 5 days. Use it to cook your rice. Use it as a soup starter. Freeze the rest, and remember to always mark your date and what it is!

Hope this is helpful.

Best,

SpecialK
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It is winter here, so roasted or steamed pumpkin are great to fill the comfort food gap in a low calorie way.

In summer I find carrots and lettuce don't last. I could solve the carrot issue could be solved by daily shopping but lettuce doesn't come in single serves.

Am I missing something?

Do you like fresh spinach? It keeps longer than lettuce and is more versatile because you can cook with it. I can have a spinach omelette for breakfast and a spinach salad or maybe a nice Florentine soup or pasta sauce with my dinner and barely notice that I've had the same vegetable twice in one day. I like kale for cooking too, though not salads.

I can usually get through a pound of carrots before they go bad if I buy the whole, unpeeled ones, not the mechanically processed "baby" carrots.
  • phonegal2
    phonegal2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love to have part of the vegies as a salad the next day. Raw day one, and then cooked day two in a soup or casserole. I find that many of the vegies are ingredients for other dishes.