runners knee issue

Options
Hi

I started running last aug, completing the couch to 5k programme, then continued to complete a few 10ks before stopping running in Dec because o started a new job.

Anyway, I started running again in Feb, but had to stop after a month after a 13km run, which left me with a sore knee.

I hadn't ran since then, and then went out 2 weeks ago, I ran:

Mon:3k
Wed:3k
Sat:5k
Tues:4k
Wed:8k.

After the 5k and the 8k my knee hurt, and my knee is still stiff from weds 8k.

Do you think the knee pain is because I've done too much too soon? Or do u think it's an underlying issue?

The problem is my knee doesn't hurt when I'm running so its hard to gauge!

Thanks

Replies

• acampbe2umd
    acampbe2umd Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Have you replaced your shoes at all from your earlier training to your more recent training?
  • John1610
    John1610 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I had a cheap pair initially but got ones fitted in a sports shop in Dec.
  • monolith66
    monolith66 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    This is exactly why I don't run for cardio anymore, it's too dangerous long term. I'd like to preserve my knee cartilage, not turn them into pancakes which is probably what would have happened had I continued.
  • ironman1431
    ironman1431 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your knee.

Could you please be more specific about the location of your pain in the knee? Without that it is difficult for me to give you an idea of what the problem is:
    Location of pain: be specific, around the knee cap? Around the joint? 90% of running injuries are from doing too much too soon.
    aggravating activities:
    alleviating activities:

Also, please see below if you're interested on the effects of running on your knees. Contrary to many beliefs, it is good for your knee cartilage etc:

Effects of Running and Walking on Osteoarthritis and Hip Replacement Risk
    PAUL T. WILLIAMS
    Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA
    ABSTRACT
    WILLIAMS, P. T. Effects of Running and Walking on Osteoarthritis and Hip Replacement Risk. Med. Sci. Sports Exerc., Vol. 45, No. 7, pp. 1292–1297, 2013. Purpose: Running and other strenuous sports activities are purported to increase osteoarthritis (OA) risk, more so than walking and less-strenuous activities. Analyses were therefore performed to test whether running, walking, and other exercise affect OA and hip replacement risk and to assess the role of body mass index (BMI) in mediating these relationships. Methods: In this article, we studied the proportional hazards analyses of patients_ report of having physician-diagnosed OA and hip replacement versus exercise energy expenditure (METs). Results: Of the 74,752 runners, 2004 reported OA and 259 reported hip replacements during the 7.1-yr follow-up; whereas of the 14,625 walkers, 696 reported OA and 114 reported hip replacements during the 5.7-yr follow-up. Compared with running G1.8 METIhIdj1, the risks for OA and hip replacement decreased as follows: 1) 18.1% (P = 0.01) and 35.1% (P = 0.03) for the 1.8- and 3.6-METIhIdj1 run, respectively; 2) 16.1% (P = 0.03) and 50.4% (P = 0.002) for the 3.6- and 5.4-METIhIdj1 run, respectively; and 3) 15.6% (P = 0.02) and 38.5% (P = 0.01) for the Q5.4-METIhIdj1 run, suggesting that the risk reduction mostly occurred by 1.8 METIhIdj1. Baseline BMI was strongly associated with both OA (5.0% increase per kilogram per square meter, P = 2 ???? 10j8) and hip replacement risks (9.8% increase per kilogram per square meter, P = 4.8 ???? 10j5), and adjustment for BMI substantially diminished the risk reduction from running Q1.8 METIhIdj1 for OA (from 16.5%, P = 0.01, to 8.6%, P = 0.21) and hip replacement (from 40.4%, P = 0.005, to 28.5%, P = 0.07). The reductions in OA and hip replacement risk by exceeding 1.8 METIhIdj1 did not differ significantly between runners and walkers. Other (nonrunning) exercise increased the risk of OA by 2.4% (P = 0.009) and hip replacement by 5.0% per METIhIdj1 (P = 0.02), independent of BMI.

CONCLUSION: Running significantly reduced OA and hip replacement risk due to, in part, running_s association with lower BMI, whereas other exercise increased OA and hip replacement risk. Key Words: PREVENTION, EXERCISE, EPIDEMIOLOGY, COHORT STUDY
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Are you running correctly? Might seem a bit of a no brainer, but people not running correctly causes a lot of injury.

Make sure you don't land with your heel, but instead with the balls of your feet.. look for a guide on youtube :)
  • fifilan
    fifilan Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I would get it checked by a doctor so you know how to proceed.
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Try a foam roller. A lot of knee pain is caused by tightness in other places, such as the IT band. I used to have severe knee pain when I hit the 25 mile/week mark until I purchased on. You can use it on all different places- many videos on youtube to show you how. Might not be the exact fix if something is medically wrong, but it still feels great and is good to have anyway.
  • spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    it does sound like you are doing too much to soon - It took me YEARS or regular running to be able to consistently run back to back days once a week

Go back and do the c25k again

Do some hip strength training - knee pain is often hip weakness