allowing yourself to have treats...

Options
hello, i'm new to the site and new to all of this. i've only recently started my new health regime. i'd rather call it a regime than a diet as i just want this to become a permanent way that i live my life rather than just a fad, then put all the weight back on!

i realise if i want this to become permanent, i have to be realistic that, there are going to be days when i want to go out for dinner and eat a nice meal, or i want to eat some chocolate or a burger... i'm quite sure that to keep a successful diet, you have to allow yourself treats, otherwise you'll just end up caving in.. unless your will power is made of steel (which mine isnt!)

so, how do you all fit treats (or cheats, even!) into your diets without completely screwing up or binging?

thank you :)

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I do the best I can every day. That way, when I want the occasional night out, even if it pushes me over calories, it's ok. It's about learning how often is acceptable for you to splurge.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I've found that this is a personal question

- some log the treats first and work in the rest around it
    - some are good at limiting themselves to small portions when calories allow
    - some have a cheat meal
    - some track everything and allow themselves to go over every once in awhile
  • Cerakoala
    Cerakoala Posts: 2,547 Member
    Options
    I plan my treats into my daily allowance. I love my ice cream lol. So I account for 1/2 a cup everynight and make sure I leave that there when I am planning my meals for the day :) and if I happen to go over then I go do some exercise to make up for it :)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal. It depends on your goals, your will power and the way you view food. If I want a treat, and I have the calories, I eat it. If I don't, I don't. I (personally) don't believe in "cheat" days - but I'm a type A personality. I also don't believe in denying yourself things you enjoy.

So that helps not at all, I'm sure :wink:
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    If I called my diet a regime I'd have to overthrow it.

As for treats, I'm working to change my definition. Cookies no, fresh cherries, yes. Brownies no, bananas, yes. Chips no, nuts and seeds yes.

I still have to count the calories, though.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I have treats every day. I make sure I have room for them and that they fit into my macros. As far as cheating or binging, some days I am hungrier than others and will go over, but for the most part, as long as I've gotten enough protein and fiber throughout the day, I don't find myself wanting to binge or overeat in the evenings.

The other part of your question, going out, is always harder for me. I try to work the meal into my calorie goal but tend to go over. I also very rarely go out to eat or order food; we do most of our cooking at home. If I know I'm going out, I'll either say "screw it, it's one day" and go over my calories, or I'll leave a few calories in the days leading up to it to help keep my weekly deficit in check.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    There are days when I have quite a few calories at the end of the day and I eat something sweet and off the program. I'm not going to lie, I love It's It's. Also, I have on the weekends splurged a bit, but not that bad.

My weight loss is 10 pounds in 13 days. I am a vegan and I eat whole foods. I am not eating refined sugar, unless it is a treat occasionally. But I love how this is going for me.
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I meal plan, so that allows me to pre log my dinner, and I eat the same thing for breakfast every morning. So, I take the remaining calories, and use them however I want to use them. If I have 500 calories left, I could eat 1.67 donuts, or I could use them more wisely.
  • stasik1950
    Options
    My treats are usually fruit or raw vegetables with a little homemade dip of some kind. Or I much on seeds and nuts. This is easy now because it's summer in NE Ohio and fresh fruit is easy and local and delicious. But every once in a while, like tonight, I go out and have Chinese, which is one of my favorites, log the calories and live with the fact that I am WAAAAAYYYYY over for the day. I stay away from food like ice cream and sherbet because I have no control over how much I eat when I have it in the house. I will eat it until it's gone. It's really all about knowing yourself, your triggers and what works for you. Good luck.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I have treats very regularly. An ice cream sundae every Sunday, chocolate covered almonds a couple times a week, bunless burgers once a week. I just budget my calories and I don't give myself a needlessly low calorie budget to start with.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my day, and tweak things where I need to. This is a huge help for filling out your diary. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity

ETA I eat ice cream for breakfast a lot. I weigh it and log it in grams, because it's more accurate, and makes it easier to tweak. :smile:
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    I plan my treats into my daily allowance. I love my ice cream lol. So I account for 1/2 a cup everynight and make sure I leave that there when I am planning my meals for the day :) and if I happen to go over then I go do some exercise to make up for it :)

I do this, too. Only instead of a scoop of ice cream, I usually have an ice cream sandwich. :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my day, and tweak things where I need to. This is a huge help for filling out your diary. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/925464-fitting-it-in-giggity

ETA I eat ice cream for breakfast a lot. I weigh it and log it in grams, because it's more accurate, and makes it easier to tweak. :smile:

I do this. Except I eat my ice cream after dinner, but I do prefer baked goods for breakfast.

My diary is open.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I've also started my own regime, and in this country the president eats cupcakes, damn it
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I've also started my own regime, and in this country the president eats cupcakes, damn it

Ooh, please let me bake cupcakes for you :love: I'm a sucker for despots.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    Oh, to the OP--I've got to get some groceries in my house soon, so no treats lately (well, I did eat McDonald's for supper--instead of a regular meal, though. NOT in addition to--make it fit my calories). But when I have treats and sweets or whatever in the house, I prelog 200 calories in the evening (my snacky "time") to fit whatever I want into that. I find that not overly restrictive--that's 1-1/2 servings of chips, or a nice serving of ice cream or a latte. No deprivation or restriction for me. That's my recipe for crashing and burning.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Im not a dog or a child so I don't treat myself unless its to a new pair of birthday shoes. I am over the deprivation mode and learning the balance of portion control and eating good food and yeah fat can BE a good food. Without fat you would die. Unless you have too much than it will be your demise and thats why most of us are here:)yeah no holding back on some pizza or cupcakes because hey it was my birthday a few days ago and i LOVE CUPCAKES:) especially made at home like black forest ones with cherry filling mmm. except the cherries are starting to go bad cause someone left them out the fridge-ooops:)
  • qwicherbytchin
    Options
    I love treats! My husband and I go out to dinner quite often. Most of the time I'll choose something a little healthier, but there are times I'll go to Red Robin and get a burger that's 900 calories...and pair it with broccoli instead of fries. Or we o to the best pasta restaurant ever...and my favorite meal is 1100 calories without the bread and salad and dessert that is included. (I only eat half the pasta and save the rest for lunch later in the week). I'm down 17.5 lbs in 2.5 months. Sure...I could have lost more, but this is how I figure I'll be eating when I'm at goal, so I don't deny myself much.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If I called my diet a regime I'd have to overthrow it.

As for treats, I'm working to change my definition. Cookies no, fresh cherries, yes. Brownies no, bananas, yes. Chips no, nuts and seeds yes.

I still have to count the calories, though.

I found it counter-productive to think of fruit as treats. It's got important stuff that I was missing because I was waiting to deserve a treat. I try to eat fruit once a day.

Of course I eat a serving of dark chocolate 4x a week for the iron. Ah. The things we are forced to do!
  • MouseTmom
    MouseTmom Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I like the 40 calorie fudgsicle fudge pops.