Control Issues and Establishing Boundaries

Options
13»

Replies

• laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Toward the end of my first marriage, my extremely controlling and mentally abusive first husband agreed to go to couples counseling. The counseling became yet another mechanism for the abuse. We would leave a session, all smiles, and as soon as the elevator doors closed he would light into me for disagreeing with him on something, or bringing up an issue he had "forbidden" me to discuss. If you get into couples therapy and find the therapy is actually causing more harm then good, then it's probably time to cut bait.

The great news is that I am now, after my own individual therapy, happily married to a mentally healthy man. This second husband will be my last. He's a keeper.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Often people will say gee my partner is a little controlling but don't realise this person is really a narc. This goes for men and women both here are 7 basic signs your dating a narc. Id encourage you all to read up on this narcissism isnt the love of self its actually the oppostise they hate themselves so much they gather people around them to make them feel good they do it with a mask of self love and confidence but its fake they often will prey upon one person who they control and abuse they are good at biding their time it will always start out subtly and in the end when you finally realise who they really are no one believes you because they dont see that side to the narc they are the ultimate deceivers and their victims suffer terribly.

Do they, at first, shower you with attention? This preliminary deception stage is crucial for building faux rapport. During your 'seduction,' they will give you the false impression of being interested in you for your own sake.

2. Do they retract when you pay positive attention to someone else at a party or social gathering? Narcissists' hyperbolic need for validation makes them irritable and impatient when they witness others receiving what they believe to be 'their due' of attention.

3. Do they seek to criticize or reduce others? Narcissists will often pick apart those they perceive as threats to their attention/glory quota.

4. Do they never seem satisfied with positive feedback, and are always angling for more specific affirmations? The insatiable need for compliments is a hallmark of narcissism.

5. Do they lack empathy towards others, and you? If they cannot offer physical or verbal comfort when you or someone else is visibly distressed, seem unresponsive to your expression of feelings, intimate thoughts, or emotions, or even merely seem to purposefully ignore social niceties (believing themselves above them), don't walk, don't try and gather up the stuff of yours you have at theirs, just get the hell out.

6. Do they have an unrealistic belief in their own abilities? A true narcissist will self-mythologize, over-exaggerating or even lying about their talents. Being frequently convinced of their own powers of influence, narcissists often manage to readily convince people of their lies (think Californian cult leader).

7. Do they use you and others purely for their own gain? If you've felt repeatedly duped, put upon, manipulated or abused (all in the so-called name of love), commiserations--you too have fallen for a narcissist.

If I score 6 out of 7 on this list, is that a red flag? On a scale of 1 to 20, how worried should my wife be?