maintain current weight but lose belly fat

Options
hi guys I've been doing really well since January I have lost 38 pounds I used to weigh 142 I now weigh 10 4 I have built up quite a bit of lean muscle through strength training cardio exercise DVDs such as Jillian Michaels. I am 5'1 and my waist currently measures at 29.5 under my belly button and 28.5 at my belly button Neither of which are going down... I cannot seem to lose the last bit of stubborn belly fat covering my abs I do eat clean and by i eating clean I mean fruits vegetables whole grains healthy fats leans meats such as chicken and turkey and tuna hardly any saturated fats I don't eat cheese i do have plain fat free yogurt or cottage cheese I have had ice cream three times in the past 6 months we do not go out to dinner or eat fast food or frozen foods. I also eat peanut butter almost every morning two tablespoons natural pb. Eggs and oatmeal and almonds (raw form no salt)as well. My diet seems healthy to me i even limit my sodium to 1500 mg. somedays it gets around 1700mg but not much higher. My sugars dont go over 60-70 grans and it is really all natural sugars mainly. I am stumped at what i should do. Do i need to lower my calories again? I eat 1800 to 1900 and according to my body media link armband i tend to burn 2100-2700 in a day depending on my exertion.My macros are 40% carbs 30% protein and 30% fat. I go to the gym six days a week. Three days i do arms and chest area with dumbells 15-20lb weights i use with about 8 reps and i repeat moves twice. Takes about 20/25 mins and i will use heavier when i can its hard right now lol. Other three days are legs i do squats with the machine with 45 lbs on each side i do aboit thirty of those and then i do sumo squats with 25 on each side as well as chair squats. I do probable 20 of each. Then i do three sets of lunges five reps each and i do ab workouts five days plus my jillian michaels dd five days a week which i swiych up. And i do hiit cardio foir days a week on the treadmill. Rin at 9 to 9.7 speed for thirty seconds and walk at 4.0 for a min for twenty mins. Any suggestions if i should do thigs differently to lose my belly fat? Sorry for the life story...lol

reps each

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    It's hard to understand your post since there are no paragraphs.

You can't spot reduce. To lose your belly fat, you have to lose overall. It's up to your body where you lose it from.

Make sure you are accurately weighing and logging everything you eat and drink.

The 1800-1900 cals, net or gross? Do you eat your exercise cals back?
  • Roxygrl20_02
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat. Cardio, cardio, cardio. "You can tone all you want, but if there's a layer of fat covering it, nobody is going to see it." -Cassey Ho, Blogilates Pilates and Fitness Instructor. So... I'm sure with what you weigh, you don't have much fat on you. I've read that avocados help blast belly fat, but avocados in general are quite fatty, and daily serving is quite small. Great that you're eating clean. I assume you're doing a lot of abdominal exercises to target the toning for your stomach?
  • kassie212
    kassie212 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies. I know you cannot apot reduce.....unfortunatley lol. I am physically taking in 1800-1900 cals a day not eating anything back. I guess I just need to keep up with what i am doing. I really do not want to lose anymore weight but i want this fay gone and it isnt alot of fat. I can see my side muscles a little and a v shape towards the bottom. Do i need to increase my cardio?
  • kassie212
    Options
    Yes i do quite a few ab exercises to tone up the muscle. I can sure feel it under that flab! Haha
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to lose any more weight but want to lose belly fat then I suggest a body recomp. Lift heavy by following a progressive lifting program (I like Stronglifts). You need to do full body compound lifts to really activate your core muscles and you need to lift heavy. Follow a program to get the best results. It hard for new liftings to pick up a barbell or dumbbell and create a program that will actually give them results. Then eat at maintenance and be patient You won't get bulky.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    the same problem, lost nearly 100 lbs in 1.5 year..belly hanging lol
  • Roxygrl20_02
    Options
    Also, are you making sure when doing the exercises including the cardio that you are sucking in that belly toward the spine? This should be done in all aspects of exercise. You'll see some super fit people from the front and when they turn to the side, big tummy. One reason for this is that they don't suck in their stomach while they're working out. A good workout to look at in this respect (although a bit slow) is hip hop abs as Shaun T is constantly telling you to suck in and how to breath when doing the exercises.
  • kassie212
    Options
    Wow i never realized u were supposed to suck your stomach in. I will definetly incorporate this!!!

. I do many of the things in the stronglifts program now. I try to lift as heavy as I can. I will check it out! Thanks guys!:happy:
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    If you sit a lot at home or work, I find one of those Pilates ball chairs incredibly helpful. It improves your posture and helps strengthen core muscles. Both of those make your stomach look better and really helps your back. I find I don't even lean back when driving in my car any more.
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to lose any more weight but want to lose belly fat then I suggest a body recomp. Lift heavy by following a progressive lifting program (I like Stronglifts). You need to do full body compound lifts to really activate your core muscles and you need to lift heavy. Follow a program to get the best results. It hard for new liftings to pick up a barbell or dumbbell and create a program that will actually give them results. Then eat at maintenance and be patient You won't get bulky.

^^This x 100!!

If cardio remains your main focus, you'll end up as what they call "skinny fat". I think you're looking to lean out, show those abs and overall muscle definition.

Lift HEAVY, keep cardio to a minimum or moderate level and eat. You will not get bulky. Trust me. It takes a lot of deliberate effort to put on muscle, especially as a woman.

I've just completed a very long term bulk and have started a cut. I weigh more than I have in over a year, yet I'm the same size as I was 10 lbs lighter. My arms are tight and curvy now, my cellulite is diminishing and I am getting a booty (the good kind) :)

I've just started a cut and have decreased my calories to TDEE - 15-20% depending on the day. My goal is to melt off the fat while maintaining whatever muscle I've worked so hard to build. I don't really care what the scale says and am aiming to lower my bodyfat % and to fit into smaller sizes.

As mentioned above, Stronglifts is a good starting point, or go here to see a pretty good summary and overview:

http://www.simplyshredded.com/the-ultimate-female-training-guide.html

Hope that helps! :)
  • SeattleRaven
    Options
    Do you do ever do yoga? I found that gentle yoga (not the weight-loss kind, but the one for relaxation and stress reducing) a few nights a week was really helpful in flexibility and in slimming out (without weight loss, my clothes fit differently in 6 weeks).
  • kassie212
    Options
    I have never done yoga. I know Jillian Michaels has some yoga dvds should I try one of those? Or go to an actual class?

I love lifting weights and have been progressivley lifting heavier so I think I just need to be patient.
    Thank you for your tips and advice everyone!!
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I have never done yoga. I know Jillian Michaels has some yoga dvds should I try one of those? Or go to an actual class?

I love lifting weights and have been progressivley lifting heavier so I think I just need to be patient.
    Thank you for your tips and advice everyone!!

If you're completely new to yoga, try an actual class. It's good to have someone who can guide your form and give you pointers. Once you know the basic poses, following a DVD becomes much easier (and safer.)
  • kassie212
    Options
    Thanks anonycatgirl :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Do i need to increase my cardio?

No. You need to lift heavy weights.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Do i need to increase my cardio?

No. You need to lift heavy weights.

^This! You need to lift weights. HEAVY weights.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Have you had your body fat measured? I am at about 20% and still have a "belly"...even though I've been lifting heavier and I'm very pleased with the results everywhere else! For me, I think it's that I have 3 kids, age (42) and genetics. Some women carry any extra fat on their hips. For me, definitely the belly.

Am looking forward to more responses...you really seem to be doing the right thing! (I don't eat as clean as you do!)
  • kassie212
    Options
    I try so hard haha!! I think im just not being patient is all. I mean its not like i gained weight in two months and its not all goig to come off in two months. ;) we can all accomplish what we want! Patience! Ughh
  • kassie212
    Options
    Ive never had my body fat measured. Id say prob about 18% tho maybe a little more.
  • mtruitt01
    mtruitt01 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    RE: sucking in belly toward spine...this is what my slow stretch yoga teacher always says to us!