honey how annoying

Options
So annoyed I never realized how many calories were in such a small amount of honey.

Been making a sauce for dinner tonight to discover there's 68 calories in 20g of honey, I am surprised but not to the point I need to re make another sauce tonight but tomorrow will adapt to make a healthier sauce.

Anyone know a low calorie honey?
I'm in Australia

Replies

• tony56pr
    tony56pr Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    If its low calorie honey, it isn't honey. It would have to be artificial. I've seen recipes for sugar free maple syrup, but never honey.

All the foods that are bad for you are high in calories.
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Then you're in for a real surprise when you find out how many calories are in 20g of oil, butter, peanut butter, etc.

Like the other poster said I've never seen a low-cal version of honey. 68cal for 20g really isn't that bad. I've subbed the low calorie maple syrup for honey, but if it's only 20g I'd probably just use the honey.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Use half the honey in the sauce. And then one fourth the next time. Eventually you will get used to not having the honey at all.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    if it tastes like sugar, and is sint artificial sweeteners, odd are its full of sugar

im not demonizing sugar... just sayin
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Just enjoy it. I doubt you use a whole lot of honey every single day, you can fit it in your daily calories.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    is that a joke or????
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    If its low calorie honey, it isn't honey. It would have to be artificial. I've seen recipes for sugar free maple syrup, but never honey.

You have a very demonizing view on food. It's pretty sad.
    Totally agree
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options

You have a very demonizing view on food. It's pretty sad.
    Totally agree

Bumping this response. The initial response is at best a dangerous one.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with most of (but not the initial) poster. Moderation is key. A bit of honey or other high caloric density foods in limited quantities should not derail your progress. Enjoy the sauce, but simply use it sparingly and don't drown your food in it.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

LOL WUT?
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Honey is mostly sugar so will be high in calories.
    If you're after sweetness with lower calories in a cooked sauce, you could add diced prunes - they dissolve into nothing when cooked, are really sweet, and the pack in front of me says only 48 cals in 30g (plus you'll get small amounts of protein and some fibre with those calories).
    Hope this helps.
  • curlygirl513
    curlygirl513 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I like a bit of honey on the peanut butter sandwiches I eat. I get filled up on them and they are yummy to boot. I'm losing plenty of weight. I won't deprive myself where I don't want to. I am happy to it oatmeal with just salt in it and unsweetened soymilk over it, but I need a bit of honey and a smear of peanut butter on a sandwich sometimes. MMM good.
  • Jamiebecker24
    Options
    I'm guessing you have already have done this but I'll say it any way.

Is your honey 100% natural as many of the ones you buy at the supermarket or even ones that say organic may have added in sugars etc.

Besides 68 cal isn't that much!

Otherwise you could check these out and see what they are like calories wise
    http://www.vegetariantimes.com/blog/4-must-try-honey-alternatives/
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Just eat the honey. Bees work really hard to make it so yummy. Peanut butter would be lonely without it and so would ma heart.
  • FitFroglet
    FitFroglet Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Honey is mostly sugar so will be high in calories.
    If you're after sweetness with lower calories in a cooked sauce, you could add diced prunes - they dissolve into nothing when cooked, are really sweet, and the pack in front of me says only 48 cals in 30g (plus you'll get small amounts of protein and some fibre with those calories).
    Hope this helps.

So gross. The things people will convince themselves taste good is amazing.
    Ah, everyone likes different things - I've always liked dried fruit. Dried apricots or prunes are lovely in stews or tagines (but only if you like the taste of them to start off with I guess!):smile:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    It's mostly sugar, so it's going to have a noticeable amount of calories.

68 calories is not a huge amount in a sauce, especially when you are presumably making more than one serving for the recipe?

If it's too much of a dent in your calorie intake, then reduce the amount of honey (sounds like quite a sweet sauce, maybe you wouldn't notice if you only used, say, 15g?), or save it until a day when you have more calories to spare.
  • WitchesGuildMaster
    Options
    Really? I just ate 900 calories of cookies for lunch and you're complaining about 68 calories of honey? Pu-leaze! I am outta here! :laugh:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Um.

I think if you like it just use it.