Being criticized for losing weight and being healthy.

Options
I am so frustrated with friends and family telling me I am starving myself when all I am doing is eating healthier foods.

Then they buy foods they know I like, feel like they are trying to sabotage my new life style. If I chose not to eat KFC don't tell me I'm staving myself and shouldn't lose any more weight and. I'm 5'7 and 60kgs btw I'd just like to tone up and get a flat stomach.

Saying that flat stomachs are for anorexics and that they are wrong is just plane stupid. Clearly they haven't seen a healthy fit person.

Almost like they have a distorted vision of what's healthy thanks to the obesity epidemic.

Glad that's off my chest.

Replies

• mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Very true!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You're 5'6" and 132 lbs. You don't need to lose weight—you should be trying to increase your lean body mass.

Set your goal to maintenance, and start lifting weights. Google body recomposition or recomp.

Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your life. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.
  • 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    same here, im at healthy weight with a bmi of 20.5 but i want to get lean so im eating a bit less and increasing the intensity of my workouts but my family are always criticising me and saying just eat normal foods, why are you buying organic for, you dont need to go that intense with your exercise, you should only excersise three times a week why are you trying to push yourself,

ITS SOOOOO ANNOYING!!!!!!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You're 5'6" and 132 lbs. You don't need to lose weight—you should be trying to increase your lean body mass.

Set your goal to maintenance, and start lifting weights. Google body recomposition or recomp.

Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your life. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

QFT
  • EleMeleUkulele
    EleMeleUkulele Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    First of all, I'm 5'7 too and 60 is kind of my ultimate goal weight. Don't mean anything by that, just thought it a funny coincidence.

I can (kind of) understand how that could be annoying, but I think the main reason for your family's nagging is, they're worried about you (although I don't know you or them, so can't tell for sure). Many people have a twisted concept of what's good/healthy for you. I'm a vegetarian and my grandmother still can't cope with that (she already stopped asking me to eat meat, but every now and then she asks my mother "when will your daughter start eating normally again?"), but I can't be mad at her when she thinks meat is what's best for me. I'm not saying you should give up eating healthy, but maybe their intentions are not all that bad, and maybe you could talk it out.
  • MrolympiaUltimate
    Options
    my family's like that to -___- just stay on course :)
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Sometimes they are jealous and don't want you to succeed. My Mom always said she wanted to lose weight with me, and acted like she was trying to help, but looking back she would do the same, buying things she knew I didn't want to eat again, because they were my down falls. She use to try and convince me I could cheat once in a while.

You have to go by how you feel and your communication with your doctor. If you start getting sick alot (common colds etc.) you need to get with your doctor or nutri. and change up you diet and/or exercise.
  • swimnurseteacher7
    swimnurseteacher7 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Ignore them and do what you know is best for you. I have people in my life who do the same. I think they are afraid for me to look more attractive and healthy. You can't give in Just stay focused. It usually does no good to argue with them.
  • klumsykunoichi
    Options
    Seeing this makes me really thankful for the support I have got. On one hand I have a sister who is trying to gain weight so we're on a mission to meet in the middle ( think she wants to share my clothes :p), and the other a boyfriend who has changed all his eating habits to match my new healthy lifestyle, so I won't be tempted by junk food and the like, if it wasn't for them I would have given up already as I have done so many times before
  • Melonpaul
    Melonpaul Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I can relate, my family and I went out to a sushi place for my nephews birthday on Saturday and while everyone ordered a specialty roll or a combo lunch plate to themselves (which in my opinion is like two meals depending on what you get). I ordered a sashimi salad. My sister-in-law asks "Are you not hungry? Because that can't be satisfying". Mind you the salad was a meal in itself, I was extremely satisfied as I got my sushi fix and I didn't feel heavy afterewards like I normally do when I eat sushi (all that rice).

I felt good about my choice it was, in my opinion, a healthier option and I didn't feel like I cheated myself by not enjoying the food. I have support from other people but there are still people in my life that just don't understand that it is my body and my lifestyle and I will continue to make healthy choices regardless of their unsupportive comments. At the end of the day I still have to look at myself in the mirror and I want to be happy with the results of my choices.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options

QFT

^This

Send the KFC to me. Famous bowls only though
  • shaddowstorm
    shaddowstorm Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't want to lose weight just gain a flat stomach. I probably should of mentioned I have lost 30kgs to get me where I am now and all along the way had very negative people.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Funniest for me is when chubby coworkers tell me I'm getting too skinny.
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    In my experience people who have struggled to lose weight associate deprivation and dissatisfaction with healthy bodies, because they've gone through an unpleasant experience in dieting. They're intimidated by people who succeed because it ruins their excuses.
  • honey_tequila
    honey_tequila Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    In my experience people who have struggled to lose weight associate deprivation and dissatisfaction with healthy bodies, because they've gone through an unpleasant experience in dieting. They're intimidated by people who succeed because it ruins their excuses.

That is absolute gold and makes perfect sense to me. I'll remember that :)
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

My favorite part of this statement is: "ruins their excuses." I'm going to use that.
  • JeralynSh
    JeralynSh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I used to get the criticism, too. And always from people who were technically obese. Anytime the bad food, sweets, snacks, etc were offered, I just said, "No, thank you."

I'm now very healthy and the best shape I've been in my whole life. 5'1' & 115 lbs (just a little over 52 kg) Those naysayers & critics? They're trying to follow my lead now.

Hang in there and ignore them.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    During the years before 1980 EVERYONE (with a few exceptions) looked like you, people in their teens and up to aged 30 were all a great weight for their heights--we have LOST our way--so people who are more or less average look too thin. People who need to lose 20 or 25 pounds look "normal"----it isn't untrue and your family etc will just have to get used to your present appearance.

You may hear that you are not weighing enough from friends and family, ignore them...in all honesty, many have forgotten what almost all people once looked like before half of them became too heavy. Quite some years ago, when i was in grade school, there was only "one" fat kid in the entire school, now probably 4 out of 10 children are overweight.

You know what is best for you and frankly..everyone has an opinion , be strong enough to stand up to what you have worked for in terms of better health.