South Beach Diet

Options
I have been counting calories, etc but was thinking of trying out the South Beach Diet. I was just wanting some feedback for people who have tried it. Likes? Dislikes?

Thank you!

Replies

• aimibean
    aimibean Posts: 243
    Options
    what is it?
  • CLH00
    CLH00 Posts: 15
    Options
    Is that the one with the pineapple?
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My general opinions of any sort of diet program like that is that it's not going to give you long term results. Unless you plan on being on the South Beach Diet the rest of your life, it's not going to be effective for long term success. It may help you lose weight now, but if you leave the diet when you've reached your goals, you won't have taught yourself how to eat healthy out in the real world. That's why programs like Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc, don't work long term, because they don't teach you how to survive off the diet.
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I did it last yr and it worked. My hubby is doing Phase 1 right now and has lost about 10 pds.
    Phase 1 is 2 weeks (or longer) of VERY restrictive foods
    Phase 2 you get to incorporate more foods but still VERY VERY limited carbs
    Phase 3 is the lifetime method.

Kalyns kitchen is a blog with a bunch of recipes that a woman started who has been on SB for life. You can easily find a paperback book for cheap or find one at the library. Or you can find a bunch online. It does work but like others have said you have to change the way you eat FOREVER. I think SB is one you could do that with though
  • Courtney_Ann
    Options
    I had not decided whether or not I was going to do it...that is why I sent this post out there. Thanks for your input
  • WritingMyLife
    WritingMyLife Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    It's basically very healthy, strictly healthy, which is hard to stick to for me. It might help you look at adding more whole grains, beans, veggies, etc if you do it, if that's a problem for you. I did it for a while a few years back. It worked but it wasn't something I could live with.
  • Teemo
    Teemo Posts: 338
    Options
    The South Beach Diet's reliance on the glycemic index is close to snake oil (in my opinion) but in general the principles are sound whether or not you are strictly adhering to the SBD: avoid trans fats, limit saturated fats, enjoy unsaturated fats.

That should be part of your eating philosophy for your health anyway.
  • esq2man
    esq2man Posts: 30
    Options
    I lost on it and gained double when I stopped. It sounds simplistic, but restricted cals and regular exercise are the only right way to lasting weight loss!
  • tiflyon
    Options
    My general opinions of any sort of diet program like that is that it's not going to give you long term results. Unless you plan on being on the South Beach Diet the rest of your life, it's not going to be effective for long term success. It may help you lose weight now, but if you leave the diet when you've reached your goals, you won't have taught yourself how to eat healthy out in the real world. That's why programs like Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, etc, don't work long term, because they don't teach you how to survive off the diet.

I have the same opinion about diets, but my boss insisted that the SBD was different, so I actually started reading the book. The whole concept of the South Beach diet is to TEACH a new healthy eating lifestyle that is attainable for the rest of your life. True, the first phase is a little crazy, but it is a good concept and only lasts two weeks. I'm on day three and I'm feeling good about this diet choice, I can already feel a difference in my body's performance throughout the day. More energized and I'm eating less, and feeling less hungry.
  • sharamia
    sharamia Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Think of South Beach as a lifestyle not a diet. I lost weight on it, I found the recipes delicious. I left it and gained a lot of weight for a number of reasons. The major reason I stopped was that I gave up chicken, beef and pork. My doc thought it was a good, nutricios program.That was years ago. I think I've heard they have modifications now for more vegetable based foods.

Now, I'm doing a modified version of Flat Belly Diet, Mediterranean Diet, whatever you want to call it. I eat fish a few of times a week and the rest of it is vegetable based. I eat something every four hours. This was suggested by my gastro & cardio docs for health reasons.
  • Mellene
    Mellene Posts: 12
    Options
    I think South Beach Diet is amazing, because it is very healthy. First week is the hardest because of the restrictions, but later other foods are added. Of course people can't use it as a short term solution, it's a lifestyle.
  • marymatoon69
    Options
    I have been counting calories, etc but was thinking of trying out the South Beach Diet. I was just wanting some feedback for people who have tried it. Likes? Dislikes?

Thank you!

Positives from the South Beach Diet:

Quite simple - No counting and never much measuring. Typically, you simply choose foods from certain lists and eat within that.

Lower in Fatty foods - Reduced carb diet authors have different opinions on whether it's vital that you limit fatty foods on reduced carb diets; however, no author recommends counting on them. At the minimum, it's probable that many people fare better having a minimum of a few of the fatty foods.

Negatives from the South Beach Diet:

Utilization of Glycemic Index (GI) - Agatston relies a great deal about the GI when looking for foods. This really is surprising in my experience considering the fact that it was written after the idea of glycemic load was introduced, which is an infinitely more practical and useful indicator of what sort of meals are prone to affect blood sugar.

Very Restrictive First Phase, that could turn many people on this diet. However, it's short-term, and also the author doesn't recommend anyone sticking with it longer than Three or four weeks for the most part (if you have a substantial amount of weight to get rid of). Because there are no guidelines regarding just how much carbohydrate to consume, "carb crash" may also occur, based upon the person dieter's food selections.

I recommend the Low Carb Mediterranean Diet instead
    http://www.mediterraneanbook.com/the-mediterranean-diet/