Fat, Unfit and Fifty

Options
MrsMizart
MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
Well there's an introduction :noway:

A long (long) time ago I was slimy and fit and healthy... Now, after children (giving birth to them, not eating them), various broken bones and head, I've piled on the weight, so here I am, with my tail between my legs (thunderous thighs have some use!), looking to shift all this blubber :smokin:

Can't do a whole load of exercise thanks to breaking a leg (or is it ankle - a leg bone on the ankle area) and not resting resulted in it getting worse :sad: Now I can't walk properly. Add in a dodgy knee on the same side (a Zumba accident), a wonky Achilles on the other side (running after a horse, as y'do when your knee is strapped up), a cracked elbow that's developed a mind of its own, and I'm a bit sad and pathetic when it comes to the exercise stuff, which is a bobber as I have horses, used to go to the gym regularly, walked a lot, and even ran a bit (albeit badly). If anyone has any suggestions for exercises when're I don't have to actually move, then I'm all ears, which are about the only undamaged parts of me :blushing:

I'm off to have a wobble around the boards, see what y'all get up to in here :drinker:

Replies

• Luckee_me
    Luckee_me Posts: 1,426 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I waited until I was 48 before I started to lose weight.
    You can do this. Just don't quit.
    Good luck to you.
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Heels :D

Thank you LM!
  • belgarath64
    belgarath64 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well I am 49 and decided it is time to loose some weight. If I can do it anyone can, 45 days in and 9 lbs lost. You can do it.
  • amysyoko
    amysyoko Posts: 1
    Options
    I am 59 and decided this is the year to getter done :smile:
  • SCV34
    SCV34 Posts: 2,048 Member
    Options
    Sationary bike? I am at a loss really. Maybe you should ask your Doctor what would be best as far as exercise is concerned. I am thinking that you should wrap yourself in bubble wrap until you are healed:flowerforyou:
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to an elliptical or a recumbent bicycle? Those are supposed to be great exercise machines for your joints (not to much pressure on them). When I had hurt my leg and foot (from running), the physical therapist told me to use the recumbent bicycle. I did, but I prefer the elliptical.

Good luck! I would love it if you added me as a friend.
  • lqichick
    lqichick Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I agree , you need to start by asking your doctor what you can and can not do !

But even if you just start with eating better, portion control , not too many calories, weight can start to come off. Then maybe the exercise will be easier.

I started off with just the eating portion and lost pounds. In fact now that I am exercising I find I want even more to eat :sad:

Good luck. By the way I'm 50 so you are not alone.
  • Siobhan108
    Siobhan108 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Well First off you are about the age of my daughters ( 48 to 38 ) and I started 18 months ago to loose. the last time I was under 200 was when I got married. It is NEVER to late.

As for exercise I hate the gym , even though I did go yesterday for 40 min, so I started by walking in the pool. I looked up some exercises I could do in the water and slowly added those. I have switched to jogging, ( knees up to waist, on my toes ) for 40 -60 min EVERY day. I have a friend that walks while I jog because she has 2 plates in an ankle plus one in her other knee due to a very bad car accident. She also has something wrong with her vertebra, can't remember the term she uses. You can maybe find a pool in your community that is reasonable or check with some hotels, they will let you use their pools for a weekly fee.

Good luck on your journey !
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Thank you folks :-)

I have access to a stationary bike, so will make more use of it. No recumbents sadly.

Bubble wrap is indeed needed! I'd blame is all on horses, but the leg/ankle was tripping down a two inch step...

Good to know that other FatUnfitFiftyYearOlds are successfully on the mission :-D
  • grannykaren57
    Options
    I am 57 and have always struggled after age medical issues myself. I wanted to continue to eat poorly and not exercise enough to match what I took in. So here I am... trying to figure it all out. I am glad I'm here. I have met some wonderful people who have and are in the same boat as I am.

As far as what you can do for exercise goes, I am not sure on that one... how about swimming? Or walking around your house to music? Holding onto a chair and doing leg lifts? Small amounts of moments until your body heals and you become stronger...

I wish you the very best .. I am certain that you will succeed with this group and gain the strength and support here.. I am new here myself .. feel free to add me.

Karen
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    More thank yous :-)

Doc just says try different things and do the one that doesn't hurt ;-)

I have to get the consultant to investigate the leg/ankle as my foot doesn't work properly, which makes walking painful and puts load and stress on everything else.

Will check the pool opening times!

Have cut portions and calories :-D Most days are under 1280 (at 5'8" and 15st 0.75lbs). Have lost 7lbs. Rarely eat rubbish. Don't have bread, pasta, alcohol, dairy. Have IBS, high cholesterol, strange blood sugar (if I don't eat enough one day, the next day is pants unless I carb load - getting better at managing it, but not there yet!).

Sorry, don't know how to add people or what it means...
  • SCV34
    Options
    More thank yous :-)

Doc just says try different things and do the one that doesn't hurt ;-)

I have to get the consultant to investigate the leg/ankle as my foot doesn't work properly, which makes walking painful and puts load and stress on everything else.

Will check the pool opening times!

Have cut portions and calories :-D Most days are under 1280 (at 5'8" and 15st 0.75lbs). Have lost 7lbs. Rarely eat rubbish. Don't have bread, pasta, alcohol, dairy.

Yes, to the pool. I forgot about swimming. Just walking in the pool is good for you. Burn calories and low impact too. Hope that works for you. Parts of you that are not broken you could move in the water. Good luck!
  • mefitforlife9
    mefitforlife9 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    53 years old here - started weight loss 2 years ago - down 85 lbs - still have a ways' to go. One thing I keep reading on here is weightloss is 80% diet, 20% exercise -soooo, check your portions - measure measure measure, then measure again - lol, drink lots and lots of water and as far as exercise - I would think swimming would be best - although if doing anything in the pool other than swimming (shallow water walking/aerobics) make sure you go flat footed or your shins will really really complain (and they hurt like a SOB!!!)... :-) yes, I speak from experience.

Good luck.
  • ReshapingMe
    ReshapingMe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi.

Google "Jodi Stolove's chair dancing". It should be the first one up (after the ads).

The dvds/routines may seem a bit silly at first, but they're keeping me from smacking any of the doctors who keep telling me "You need to lose weight" in one breath and "You need to avoid bending more than a few inches, no squatting, don't walk for any extended periods of time and walk slow if you do walk, don't lift anything more than a few pounds, don't stretch too far, avoid doing anything that bounces you, and absolutely avoid anything that strains your core even the slightest" in the next breath. My response is always, without fail, and without missing a beat: "So... I should just die now? Because, you know, life... moving..." After more than a year, they still don't get it. And none of them are willing to pay for a maid to keep my home clean.
  • MrsMizart
    Options
    Thank you :-D

Unbroken parts could indeed wobble around quite nicely in the water. Have to find out how late the pool stays open as I have a long daily commute and am usually home after seven then in bed by nine-ish (early starts). Must be able to work something out though! Will watch out for sore shins, thank you!

Have Googled! They look excellent. I shall order (when I've figured out which on lol).

Maybe I should try the Equipilates again.
  • SCV34
    Options
    Add me as a friend if you would like. I am very supportive!
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have issues with my knees. Swimming is great, as it does not cause stress on any joints. There is added resistance moving through the water. I see folks come into the pool area walking with canes and they get into the water and excersize.
    Try it !
  • kentwhale
    kentwhale Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello Mrs Mizart & welcome

I too am fifty (late fifties) & fat - in fact much fatter than you - you lightweight! I have lots more to lose than you & and I don't have the excuse of having all the injuries you have - I am just a lazy sod. Sounds like you are already eating healthily & I agree with others about swimming & aqua exercises - they sound the safest right now for you. I think you need to give your poor body time to recover from the latest injury & just do gentle stuff that doesn't hurt. Good luck. You can add me as a friend as well - although I have only recently joined & haven't worked out how do that either. Sure someone will be along shortly to tell us how. Good luck :smile:
  • beviep
    beviep Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    To add as friend, click on the picture of the person that you want to add and it will show "add as friend".